please talk me out of it not really but yes please no yes no yes...

nwcove

Admiral
i say sell yer truck, yer boat and dehydrator, buy an electric " smart for2" car, a set of roof racks and a ten foot canoe. donate all the money you will save to a charity.....maybe the nwcove fund!!! :D

sam60

Captain
Sweet looking truck, Joe! So, your Brother is getting in on the mistress thing? :D

The '05 5.9 3500 SRW LB that I bought new in '06 has 290K miles and will be my last truck. I bought a cheap low-miles commuter to give it a break but it is ready when I need to use it.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't get all these comments around the extra cost of two additional tires. If there was the perfect vehicle out there that can be used in every situation, we would all be driving one, right? You want the stability and larger footprint of a dually, then, yes, you have to deal with the cost of additional tires. You want the handing and speed of a sports car? Well, don't expect to be towing with it. Nothing wrong with compromising to get what you want/need in a vehicle.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Or if you are like me, just buy 5 different vehicles to meet every requirement you might have, just because it was mentioned, does not mean I was complaining about it, I have three heavy duty trucks, one for towing my 5th wheel, one for plowing my road and one for rock crawling and back country hunting and playing, I have an SUV for general purpose traveling and a AWD van for carrying stuff or more people when the need arises and I am thinking about a sports car in the next couple of months for playing around this summer. So I don't compromise, I just buy more!

:D

Last edited:

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
LOL...that's awesome.

Wasn't saying you (or anyone) was complaining. Was just saying that if anyone is seriously considering a dually that things such as extra tires have already been taken into consideration and the extra tires did not sway them much. After all, "dually" almost already insinuates the need for another set of tires.

Last edited:

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been doing the same, I've wanted a diesel dually for years, but never could justify it. The S-10 and Ranger have done all I needed of them, and only on a couple occasions over the years have I wished I had something larger. Both are paid for though, and I have absolutely no need for a truck that large. A nice 1/2 ton would suit me just fine.

Diesel fuel is more expensive than gas, though most diesels get nearly as good as mileage as my 4.3L 2wd S-10 (it drinks gas, so much so I thought I had the CPFI spaghetti tube leak, but no fuel pressure loss, guess it just uses it). Cost of ownership is much more expensive, one can easily spend a couple hundred on fluid and filter changes along with the aforementioned two extra tires. Parts cost more (hope you don't have to change injectors) and are not as common, everything is bulkier and heavier when you do have to work on it and you'll need a stepladder to get to some parts of it. Not small space, drive thru, or parking lot friendly. Wayyy too long at nearly 22' and it takes an airport runway to turn around in, along with having to make wiiiiiddde turns. Too wide for many small roads, those tires and fenders stick out there really far. It's noisy, the diesel exhaust smells, and is probably way more truck than most anyone who buys one ever really needs.

How's that? lol. I've told myself the above for years now.

I bought a new to me 2007 GMC Sierra 3500 LTZ crew cab 4x4 dually long bed with the LBZ Duramax / 6 speed Allison last week......

It'll look good pulling the 12' jon boat... :lol:

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
^^ If you're up in OH, you might need that rig to get back home to TN. It's a little sloppy down here the last couple days :eek:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats, does that mean you're available for pick up of larger payloads? :watermelon:

Nice looking truck.

sam60

Captain
Great truck that will last many more years! I did the trans with triple disc convertor & billet cover at 119K and it's still strong. Injectors at 275K. I did wear out the driver's seat and need to re-foam!! Great purchase in my opinion.

I imagine the drive home like this.... OH to TN.png

Have a safe trip. :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
They are pretty good sized, I would have to go out and look to make sure, but we are looking at a bit more aggressive tread pattern in a very heavy duty 12 or 14 ply tire to handle the rocks and mud in the spring. Heck the tires on my rock crawler 1 ton Ford run about $1700 bucks when I have to replace them, they are 38 in tires. And that is for only 4 tires!

I?'ve ran only Goodrich Rugged Terrain TA @ 17" and I get them for about $800 mounted. I also have never gotten less than 90k miles on a set, just put on third set @ 260k miles. Once the whatevers wear out on the new one that is what I'll replace with.

^^ If you're up in OH, you might need that rig to get back home to TN. It's a little sloppy down here the last couple days :eek:

Did fine until La Vergne ? had some refreezing and a car decided to spin out into the median so traffic slowed way down.

I took out heading north Monday morning at hit the storm here just as the ice was coming thru (passed you about 2am), made into KY just east of Elizabethtown before the transmission on the rental car crapped on me. Three hours waiting on the side of the road. Finally got going and once I hit Lexington and saw how much they had and how exponentially stupid the other people were driving I decided to grab a hotel for the night. Finished the trip yesterday morning without issue, other than time. Finally got home about 9:30.

Congrats, does that mean you're available for pick up of larger payloads? :watermelon:

Funny guy right here? But sure. I think I was pretty close to you ? New Boston/Portsmouth OH?

Great truck that will last many more years! I did the trans with triple disc convertor & billet cover at 119K and it's still strong. Injectors at 275K. I did wear out the driver's seat and need to re-foam!! Great purchase in my opinion.

I imagine the drive home like this....

fetch

Have a safe trip. :)

LOVE that movie.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Glad you made it home okay ... Today wasn't bad at all. Not sure what Friday is gonna' look like though.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah well truth be told.... This is my dream truck. Wanted once since I started going full size back in about 92, almost did it in 2006 but ex wife did not approve. So barring something dramatic this is the last truck I will ever buy and I make way more money than I ever thought I would as a barely got out of high school in trouble all the time kid so why not help my brother with a good truck for his fledgling construction company and spend a few grand to make me happy. Got the perfect boat, perfect wife and almost perfect house. Not much else is needed now.

Got new cab lights ordered - hate the big orange blobs so got clear ones I'll paint over the chrome with white and nerf bars as well. Ordered black ones but think I'm going to get painted white to match.

Plus I've always wanted to add functional back up lights so got some LED's on the way - one set for truck and one for trailer. I'll be starting a thread on how to wire that up.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Gonna have to change the sig pix now

Congrats again

Now I know who to call if I find a 30ft derelict glasser I need towed ;):watermelon:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Congrats!! I need a bigger truck envy has now set in! Once the Admirals car is paid off it will be my turn. We don't like having more than one car payment at a time.

bassman284

Commander
"I'll paint over the chrome with white "

Dude! You're going to paint over your chrome? What the heck? Do you have any idea how much Chrysler spent giving you that chrome?

When you do it let me know what you used and how it worked. I have a black 2008 Grand Cherokee that has a chrome grill. It offends me. I previously had a 97 GC that had a body color grill, white in that case. I really would prefer a black grill in this one, I think.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ahhhh...... It's the little things. Like putting a sheet up plywood and a bunch of 2x4's in and being able to put the tailgate up. Haven't had a long bed in about 20 years.

And bassman it just plastic chrome. Not sure how it will turn out but gotta try

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
"I'll paint over the chrome with white "

Dude! You're going to paint over your chrome? What the heck? Do you have any idea how much Chrysler spent giving you that chrome?

When you do it let me know what you used and how it worked. I have a black 2008 Grand Cherokee that has a chrome grill. It offends me. I previously had a 97 GC that had a body color grill, white in that case. I really would prefer a black grill in this one, I think.

Your Jeep grill is plastic chrome, you simply scuff it and paint it, let it dry good, drop by a auto paint supply company and they will sell you the right product for preparing the surface of the plastic chrome, or look on ebay and get one that is already primed black, then you can paint it with either flat, semi, or full gloss paint, replacement grills are not expensive for the Jeeps.

bassman284

Commander
Your Jeep grill is plastic chrome, you simply scuff it and paint it, let it dry good, drop by a auto paint supply company and they will sell you the right product for preparing the surface of the plastic chrome, or look on ebay and get one that is already primed black, then you can paint it with either flat, semi, or full gloss paint, replacement grills are not expensive for the Jeeps.
Oh yeah I know. We used to mold some of that stuff in the plant where I worked. Shoot the plastic right into the overlay.