please talk me out of it not really but yes please no yes no yes...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
635555553257212867.jpg

Only 2 years newer than what I have now, still a 4x4, still the 5.9 over the 6.7, LONG BED (not had that in 20 or so years), dually, Laramie trim (leather heated seats dual climate, etc over my SLT), 200k less miles @ 70,480.

Brother will buy mine so this will net out at $17-18k.

I've not had a truck payment in about 5 years, or a car payment in about 3 - but the house will be paid off in 2-3 years depending on how our stock does thru the buyout. I figure this would be the last one I need before I croak and want to get the 5.9 while I can before everything goes completely to sh.... and all these are abused.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I get the feeling you already have your answer and no talking will have any effect... :watermelon:

Amazing how the mind can come up with so many reasons to buy things some times.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Flip a coin and call heads. If it is heads then you buy it. Just make sure it is a 2 headed coin.. :D

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Flip a coin and call heads. If it is heads then you buy it. Just make sure it is a 2 headed coin.. :D

Even better, if it's heads you buy it, if it's tails, you don't buy it....until tomorrow.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That's just two more tires to wear out,:D

Funny thats why I did not buy the dually 9 years ago (which if I do this will be 8 years, 11 months and 20 days) but the tires I use now on about 80% highway driving get me 100K plus and my buddy gets them to me at $20 above his cost so not a big deal.

I've come close three times last two years, each time the truck sold before I could get there. This one will be Monday, he's closed on Sundays and he states no one looking at it now. It is a 6 hour or so drive to Southern OH, Enterprise rental car for under $200. I'd go tomorrow, but there seems to be something special about tomorrow that my gut tells me I should not leave home. Plus we got the new big a** dehydrator and we're gonna do about 10 lbs of jerky. Nothing says love like making dried meat snacks together.

The thing is, each time I casually look the deal, or the truck itself, get better. Even if I pay sticker this comes out the best thus far.

If I had thought about it I would have left LA last night, flown to Columbus, bought the truck and been home before I'm going to be tonight.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Its nice I will give you that.
Two things I can think of, we have a older f250 7.3 4x4 e-cab with canopy- work truck employee/tool hauler and an f350 7.3 dually 4x4 flat deck this is our heavy hauler gravel, tools, equipment and boat.
If I could not justify having a need for these diesels I would be driving something smaller and more economical.

As for the dodge, get the front end checked over thoroughly as well as the tranny.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Dodge front ends were notorious for getting sloppy by 50K... Mainly because there was no grease fittings. It's possible the front end has been replaced with aftermarket parts "with" zerks....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
tranny - had mine @198k so expecting that again

Front end - actually parts on order (tie rods, ball joints, damper) should be home when I get there and will install next week before I pass on to my brother.

Economy - I get 20+ mpg and 15 towing the boat and so does my buddy that has a dually 2002 5.9 so not worried about that. It is much for longevity as anything. Well there is the cool factor...

I'm staying Dodge. No options there.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and the replacement front end parts are coming with the zerks - thats what I ordered.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Even at $20 over cost, tires are expensive for these rigs, I just go a quote from a buddy of mine who owns and runs a cooper tire shop and at 5% over cost to cover mounting and balancing, my plow truck is going to cost me almost $2000 dollars for tires!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Even at $20 over cost, tires are expensive for these rigs, I just go a quote from a buddy of mine who owns and runs a cooper tire shop and at 5% over cost to cover mounting and balancing, my plow truck is going to cost me almost $2000 dollars for tires!

Even it being a dually, that's over $330.00 a tire.:eek::eek::eek: What size tires are you running?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Even it being a dually, that's over $330.00 a tire.:eek::eek::eek: What size tires are you running?

They are pretty good sized, I would have to go out and look to make sure, but we are looking at a bit more aggressive tread pattern in a very heavy duty 12 or 14 ply tire to handle the rocks and mud in the spring. Heck the tires on my rock crawler 1 ton Ford run about $1700 bucks when I have to replace them, they are 38 in tires. And that is for only 4 tires!

Tnstratofam

Commander
If it isn't going to be a financial game changer to buy it. If the Admiral isn't waiting on some special purchase you've been putting off. If it is more truck than you will need for the foreseeable future. Go for it.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If it isn't going to be a financial game changer to buy it. If the Admiral isn't waiting on some special purchase you've been putting off. If it is more truck than you will need for the foreseeable future. Go for it.

it gets pretty nasty in my part of the world, right now with all the melting going on, I am trudging through about 6 inches of mud and rock, just to get to town, so pretty ugly stuff.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Yep the tires have to be load range E .....not cheap even at cost.