Any packing or travel advice for Mexico Trip?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't know about how the water is in Cabo, but take some Imodium just in case.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Don't drink the water and I am serious, back when I was in the service, I had occasion to spend time in Mexico and Central America, Don't drink the water.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Don't drink the water and I am serious, back when I was in the service, I had occasion to spend time in Mexico and Central America, Don't drink the water.

What puts me on edge is drinking cocktails since I can at least avoid tap water with bottled water. Especially since Beer/bottled beer isn't at all my drink of choice.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
One of the problems is anything washed in water and eaten raw - Like salad greens. So when doing tequila shooters, just lick the salt and skip the lime. Also brush your teeth with bottled water.

There is a good reasom it's called Montezuma's revenge!

jkust

Rear Admiral
One of the problems is anything washed in water and eaten raw - Like salad greens. So when doing tequila shooters, just lick the salt and skip the lime. Also brush your teeth with bottled water.

Now those are good tips.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good way to put it is this. If you can't peel it yourself you shouldn't eat it. Thinks like whole citrus, bananas should all be OK. Food like salads should be avoided. Also don't get ice in your drinks. The cubes are obviously made with local water, works out to same as drinking the water. Check into something called Dukoral it is a pill taken prior to your trip and is supposed to help with the Montezuma's revenge. Some have good luck with it, some don't. It might be worth looking into.

TexMonty

Seaman
Ah Cabo - been many times. I have never experienced any bad belly (unless it was my fault due to adult beverages). I have eaten most everything. Great restaurants - Edith's and Lorenzillos - kind of expensive but worth it. There are also some smaller places at marina side that have been good. Go see the sunset at The Office. Skip Cabo Wabo unless you like very smoky, very loud places (I like bars, drinking, smoking and dancing - just not at Cabo Wabo). Great golf is at Palmilla, but it may still be closed due to hurricane. If you drive no one pays attention to stop signs or signals. I take a cab everywhere. One big reason I do cabs is they will screw you to death when you rent a car!!! Absolutely fantastic fishing in early may. I have never stayed at Cabo Villas, but hey I only need a room to sleep a few hours every night anyway. Hot spot for pool party - The ME. I have not been since the hurricane so not sure what condition you will find everything.

And lastly - everything is negotiable - food, trips - everything - especially if you get off the beaten path. Good luck and enjoy!

jkust

Rear Admiral
Thanks Newfie Dan and TexMonty. We did rent a car so will just add to the experience I suppose. Good call on the peeling of food and I've never herd of Dukoral so will check it out. 20 years ago the last time I was there for spring break, I was fluent in Spanish and had a good time with it, fast forward to today and I remember about 1% of what I used to know. I do recall that negotiating down to the centavo would **** them off at the zocalo.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Dress very casual and leave your jewelry and nice watches at home. Been awhile since I have been in Mexico because of the increase in crime but even when I went, I tried to dress like I wasn't worth robbing.

I tend to do that when I travel anyway. Always be aware of your surroundings.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...l-warning.html
U.S. citizens are encouraged to lower their personal profiles and to avoid displaying indicators of wealth such as expensive or expensive-looking jewelry, watches, or cameras. U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain awareness of their surroundings and avoid situations in which they may be isolated or stand out as potential victims.

One reason why I don't stay in super fancy resort places when I go to Mexico.

I know friends that have places in Cabo. A lot got wiped out in that hurricane in September. Many aren't going back for awhile until things get back to order.

Last edited:

ezbtr

Commander
watch the ice cubes in any drinks, and yes the shower water, drink only bottled water, and make sure the bottles beer fizzes when you open it! (if not it could be leftovers poured into bottle) and yes ANYTHING else that could be immersed in water :)

DayCruiser

Ensign
Pack a AK 47. The big thing over there is drugging peoples drinks and then raping and robbing them. The police will pull you over and demand money. There is even a sign in Mexico that tells you not to pay the Police. I wouldn't go to a place where armed guards with assault rifles patrol resorts. Then if you get really sick and have to go to a hospital--plan to be held there until you pay your bill. Many Mexicans hate Americans. There was a teen who drowned in a resort pool. The pool had a known defect that killed the teen. The teens girlfriend tried to get help for the boy. No one would help. They(hotel workers) just left the dead teen floating in the pool for a long time before Police arrived. Mexico is beautiful but just not worth the risk to me

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
I've been going to Baja since the 70's. The border towns are the main 'problem' areas. I've heard many stories over the years about things that have happened to tourists, but have you looked in the papers or listened to the local news lately? The thing is, if you're looking for trouble, you'll find it wherever you are in the U.S. or Baja. I've driven (and raced) the entire Baja Peninsula and had some absolutely awesome experiences with the locals.
The nicer restaurants serve purified water and use it to make their ice. They don't want their customers getting sick any more that you.
I wouldn't concern myself too much with all the stories. Just play it cool and have a good time.
Have a slice of lime with your cerveza! Do you know why lime slices were first served with beer? The wedge kept the flies out of the beer and besides their unique phytonutrient properties, they contain
antioxidants and acids that help kill bacteria around the lip of the bottle when you wipe it with a lime wedge ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I have been going to Baja since the 70's as well. I used to ride my motorcycle down into Baja from Los Angeles. I was also was going to the Yucatan starting in the 90's through early 2000's for scuba diving. My parents used to stay for 3 months at a time in both Cabo and the Yucatan. I no longer go down there because of the recent issues.

I'd agree that there are places in the US that are likely just as dangerous. Detroit comes to mind!

And that reason for that lime is to disguise some of the crappy Mexican beer's(Corona) skunk smell.

Last edited:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
The admiral and i went to Mexico last year on vacation. No problems with the water/ice on resort/hotel property. I specifically asked about ice, etc. I was told most places uses a good quality water treatment system for their food washing and ice systems etc. My company builds these types of systems for several companies and they work great. Kind of like the new thing Bill Gates is pushing. Brushed teeth with bottled however. Not a single issue.

We did lose the admirals checked jewelery but this was stateside during TSA in Atlanta airport. Pack all jewelery in carry ons. Luckily it was only about $200 total value, but cases were clearly open and gone through.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Well, I made it back. No issues at all. We rented a house in Pedregal and so the water is filtered there so showering and teeth brushing were no big deal. It the most multi million dollar homes jam packed into a neighborhood as I've ever seen. They are all built into and on the side of the hill. We chartered a 52 foot sail boat for 8 hours and went down the coast and it is whale season so saw a lot of Humpbacks. Most of the Hurricaine damange was corrected in Cabo San Lucas except a few resorts down the coast. Except the night we had a Chef come in and cook for us, it didn't matter where you ate, the food was very mediocre at best. I only saw one truck with one armed military guy in it in town. I don't think I can take another Mariachi band. You would get 4 to 5 of them during any outdoor dinner and tip them at least $5 each...and they get old after a couple days. All in all it was a decent trip. Thanks for all of the advice.

DayCruiser

Ensign
That least you could have done is Pulled a Brian Williams story for us bored do death in winter peeps haha