Never thought I'd 'WANT' a Tesla electric car........

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Tesla Model S P85D has an insane mode setting.......... Yeah, I think I could learn to like it:
:faint:
:car: 0-60 in 3.18sec w/ hard linear acceleration..........
car.gif

The P85D also put a beat down on the new Dodge 707hp Challenger Hellcat at the dragstrip:

Admittedly the Dodge driver completely blew the staging and launch, it still wouldn't have mattered at the far end of the track.......

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I've heard the acceleration is unreal and the video shows it, wow

Now the dude in the Challenger needs to give the car to someone who at least knows how to keep the tires from spinning. He didn't even let off when he started to loos it. The guy's driving skills are non-existent

jbcurt00

Staff member
Surprise surprise surprise, WV doesn't have any either..............

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
By the time I can get one, there should be more stations. Insane performance from what I read.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a few friends that have Teslas. It is also not their only car for a good reason.

jkust

Rear Admiral
My neighbor has a Tesla. Looks kind of cool but don't see him driving it in the winter. One of my buddies I work out with at the gym bought a 2013 CMax Energy (the plug in/hybrid version of the CMAX) as a left over in 2014. I've now seen 2013 CMAX Energy's for $11K used up to 13k used. I think he paid somewhere north of 30k less than a year ago. The max range he gets in the winter here in MN on a full charge, no accessories is 12 miles. For strictly fuel savings, to me an 11k plug in with a small 3 cylinder engine seems like an actual good deal for when gas goes back up.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I don't know if it still applies, but the Tesla sports car's batteries cost $14,000 dollars to recharge if you let them go dead. That would be an expensive jump if you left your lights on.:eek: Which of course I would manage to do.:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not every climate is ideal for an electric or a hybrid vehicle. But unless they build some, places they are viable can't buy them either.

IMO, and I am by no means well versed on Musk or his companies, Musk and the big auto makers aren't building the same types of vehicles or vehicles for the same types of buyers.

Are any of the currently in production (or development for that matter) electric cars really going to be long term solutions or a 'cure' for oil dependance? I doubt it. Are the current production electric or hybrid cars perfect vehicles for everybody regardless of where you live? Nope. If you'd like to debate those talking points, fine, start a Dockside chat about it.

This was supposed to be about the 0-60mph in 3.18sec incredible acceleration of an electric production car, albeit limited production. If you don't find that impressive, perhaps you should go back to watching a black and white TV w/ reruns from the 50s & 60s. Please leave your cellphone outside in the mailbox, as you won't be needing it or any of the rest of your electronic high tech, new fangled devices ;)

Ya'll have a great end of the week..............

I'll be home watching netflicks via wifi on a flat, big screen TV, and surfing the web on my oversized (pint sized tablet) cellphone :watermelon:

JC

Tnstratofam

Commander
Oh I'm very impressed by it's performance. I would absolutely own one if I had the dinero, and I would spend the weekends drag racing every teenager with a hot rod I could find. Just to see the expression on their faces when I blew their doors off.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't know if it still applies, but the Tesla sports car's batteries cost $14,000 dollars to recharge if you let them go dead. That would be an expensive jump if you left your lights on.:eek: Which of course I would manage to do.:facepalm:
Circuitry in the battery management won't let that happen.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I saw a guy maybe a month back in a brand new Tesla, commuting to work...it still had the temp license on it. He would floor it then slow down then floor it over and over again. The mid-range pick-up on it was amazing. He was having fun with it. The funny thing is that I can say I see more Tesla's in a year than I do Porsche here in MN not including my neighbors Tesla.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would have liked to have seen what the Hellcat could really do with someone who knows how to drive the thing. Very impressed with Tesla, but the Challenger still has the cool factor in my book. Always have liked it. But, since I can't afford either one right now, my point is moot.

BTW, my "flip" phone stays in the truck not the mailbox.......:)

rogerwa

Commander
Be weird to have all that silent power. I would miss the engine sounds. If there was a tesla that was less expensive, I could see it as a good commute car. I drive every day downtown about 18 miles each way. For the 5 days a week back and forth it would work good, even my ramp has electric charging stations.

Fun Times

Staff member
Busy at the tesla charging stations today! Cabazon outlets, CA off of interstate 10.
driver