Please be very careful folks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if everybody has read the tragic event the recently occur in Georgia concerning a elderly couple responding to a "Craigslist" listing. The couple were looking for a 60's era Mustang and saw an add in Craigslist that somebody had listed for sell. They lived in or around Atlanta and contacted the guy's listing for such a vehicle. They then made arraignments to go see it in hopes to buy it. That was on a Thursday a couple weeks ago now. They never returned home or could be contacted via their cellphone from any of their family or friends. So the family contacted the authorities and a huge search started out to locate them. That went on for a few days and they finally found their vehicle in a pond/lake where the listing was from. And after searching further, they found the couple with bullet holes in their head disposed of in the nearby wooded area from where they found their vehicle. They since arrested the Craigslist guy and he is now charged with two counts of murder and a huge list of other charges, Seems he never ever had such a vehicle and basically lured them to his place to rob them and murder took over and the rest is a sad story. If they would have asked for the vehicle's ID number and then tried to verify that it was actually a 60 era Mustang, it could have saved their lives. I know we all never think that something like this could actually happen, but in this case it did and is very tragic. This did make national news, but I didn't know if everybody read about it or not. So be extremely careful answering any add for anything. We never really know what is going to happen. Try to make public meetings and places that have lots of other folks around when possible. Could save you from some questionable intensions by some evil folks!

dozerII

Admiral
Very sad story, it is terrible that there are so many bad people in the world. It makes it so special when you can still find someone stand up enough to do a handshake deal with.

eavega

Lieutenant
This hit close to home, as the couple was from a Metro Atlanta 'burb. Our local sheriff's office has now offered their parking lots as places to meet for Craigslist-type sales. I hope other law enforcement agencies follow suit, as it will provide a safer place for folks to do these kinds of transactions.

-E

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It is very sad. When I saw the story about the missing couple on the local news, I didn't think it would turn out anything but bad.

Another CL ploy is to buy a sealed factory carton with a too good to be true price. All to often the buyer opens the carton to find a brick or couple of books instead of an iPad or iPhone or whatever. This has happened in front of police HQs too, but the "seller" is long gone and it's too late. But filing the police report is a snap!

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
There have been multiple craigslist. Killers over the years. It's a fine line between paranoia and diligence. I always have to speak to the person and that leads to my decision to meet for the deal or not. I never meet at home, always the mall or sams.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I know it's a sad event but to make it sound like it's something unique with CL is kinda unrealistic. There are many ways you can end up like this couple did. It's just the bad odds of meeting up with the wrong person at the wrong time.

I went to look at a boat on Boat Trader. Same thing could happen!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know it's a sad event but to make it sound like it's something unique with CL is kinda unrealistic. There are many ways you can end up like this couple did. It's just the bad odds of meeting up with the wrong person at the wrong time.

I went to look at a boat on Boat Trader. Same thing could happen!

bruceb58, I didn't say it was merely a Craigslist only situation. I think I stated that answering most any add for items for sell can be questionable! So folks should be careful and take precautions as to where you will meet to see/buy such items... I only posted this because the dead murdered couple are being buried this weekend...and this murder story did make national news!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sad but very real. I always get a phone number and address along with a name. I then also leave that info with family as to where I'm going and how long I should be gone. That still doesn't prevent anything but at least it's something.

sam60

Captain
I currently have a car for sale. I put it on a forum for/of people who like that style of vehicle, told a few local friends and emailed some distant ones.

If nothing happens within a week I will put it on eBay with a reserve.

Bad things can happen but why not limit your risk?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I put many items on Craigslist and have them come to my house. You have a greater risk of getting hit by a car crossing the street.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I think it also goes with saying that some areas have more people looking to do bad things than other areas. Depends on where ones going. These high crime areas are usually well known.
Remember "The Hills Have Eyes" and don't take a "Wrong Turn" or they could be making a movie about you.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
This news is a true look at the scum of the planet. You can never be too safe, buying or selling on CL or any other unsupervised situation. Bring your phone wherever you go, go with a friend, meet in public if possible... just be safe. The scamers on Craigslist is ridiculous! I buy and sell there fairly often, and one thing is for sure. If it seems fishy... IT IS FISHY! :fish: Be safe!

Tyme2fish

Commander
One should use common sense.

I sold a vehicle many years ago on CR. I did not post my phone number and asked responders to e-mail me to a disposable e-mail account. I had listed the price wanted, pictures of vehicle, what I knew about the goods and the bads about the vehicle. I was being totally honest with the description.

I sorted thru a few responses and eventually gave them my home phone number. They had already responded with information that I knew the area they lived in.

A very pregnant woman and her husband came to my house, looked over the vehicle, and after I had copied his I.D. they took it for a test drive. They came back the next evening with the agreed upon amount in cash and signed my self written "As is no warranty". Very pleasant experience all around.

nlain

Commander
This happened in McRae Ga, about 2 hrs from where I live, when I first heard it I thought then that it would be bad. I have done some buying on CL with no problems, I am careful and always try to buy local.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
We had a similar incedint a few years back in Ontario with a site called kijiji. Man selling his truck took a couple for a test ride they robed and killed him..Makes you think twice that's for sure.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We try to be careful when buying or selling things, but you can't protect yourself from evil all the time. Meeting in a public place during daylight hours. Telling at least two friends or family members where you are going, and what time you will be back. Making sure your cell phone is fully charged. Having someone you trust go with you. For the younger folks, and or weak in body, having someone older more wiser and physically stronger is a good idea. Even following these steps is no guarantee you'll be safe. Be aware of your surroundings, and trust your instincts. Bad people usually give themselves away by their eagerness to please you, and part you from your money or your life.

sam60

Captain
I put many items on Craigslist and have them come to my house. You have a greater risk of getting hit by a car crossing the street.

Hey, Bruce...I put the car on craigslist and picked up a guy and his buddy from the airport. They drove 27 hours straight to Kalamazoo. No problems.:)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hey, Bruce...I put the car on craigslist and picked up a guy and his buddy from the airport. They drove 27 hours straight to Kalamazoo. No problems.:)
That's great!

There is a lot of over reaction in this thread.