Neighbors got a pitbull

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
...so everyone in the neighborhood that may pass by would have to be-friend the dog? why not have a chat with the woman, suggest that it be muzzled when its outside, or if local law permits, document your concerns and have the authorities make her muzzle it.

I said I agree with gm280, it would be easier if he can make friends with the dog.

However, I didn't say anyone had to agree with me.

As I stated in my first post, I would keep bear spray with me when outside, I think we all hope for the best case, I know I do, but I also always prepare for the worst case.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's the problem with trying to approach the problem (the aggressive dog) without actually addressing the problem with work-arounds such as spray, sidearms, bats, making nice with the dog, etc. It's likely only effective for that single individual. The only way to really remedy the situation so that most everyone is safe is to correct the aggressive behavior or build the appropriate containment area (i.e. fence, muzzle, etc.), or get rid of the dog. The sad part is, without a standing ordinance, chances are slim that local authorities can do much until the dog bites.

ehenry

Commander
Its seems that your neighbors and the woman they took in are the true problem.They are very irresponsible pet owners and talking to them about the issue is probably not going to do any good at all. Because of their stature in the community, in their mind, they don't have to do anything and you are beneath them. Until the dog hurts someone nothing will be done on their part. Its is an absolute shame that a man would feel he has to arm himself with anything just to go out in his own yard. We dont live in a war zone. I feel for you because I've been in the same situation.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMO any dog from a rescue source is a potential problem -- that's why the original owners got rid of them. I once paid $400 for a German Shepard Dog and ended up giving it and $100 to a rescue place. She was a problem dog. I once had a neighbor with a pitbull and kept it in a chain link fence. Every time I mowed my lawn the dog would growl, snarl, and climb half way up the fence trying to get to me. I mowed with a .38 revolver in my pocket. My suggestion for you would be to have an attorney write a letter to the home owner stating your observations of the dog's actions and letting them know should the dog attack someone, possibly kill a small child, they would be liable and could lose any and all their assets in a law suit. Photos and /or a video of the dog in it's aggressive mode would be good to show the attorney and also could be sent to the home owners. If that don't get rid of the dog poison the SOB :)

jkust

Rear Admiral
Its seems that your neighbors and the woman they took in are the true problem.They are very irresponsible pet owners and talking to them about the issue is probably not going to do any good at all. Because of their stature in the community, in their mind, they don't have to do anything and you are beneath them. Until the dog hurts someone nothing will be done on their part. Its is an absolute shame that a man would feel he has to arm himself with anything just to go out in his own yard. We dont live in a war zone. I feel for you because I've been in the same situation.

Funny you mention their stature because as you can imagine, people tend to faun over them. The owners are nice people, just really out of touch it seems and the guest who technically owns the dog doesn't know enough to know any differently.

Bigprairie1

Commander
There is an opportunity here.
At this point there is no incident of the dog attacking anyone...yet. This means you have an opportunity to put a few things in motion to correctly resolve this. The idea of arming yourself for the time or point of incident is not the way through this, that's a reaction and is usually (as always) about an hour to a week too late....most everything will go south at that point with respect to injuries, cost, the police, lawyers, etc, etc.
If it was me I would talk with local authorities then get some legal advice on this. Then I would ask to have a face to face meeting with the neighbours and their tenant and express your concerns about the situation....everyone one in the same room at the same time. I would find a way to let them know that by virtue of that very conversation this situation has now put everyone on legal notice should anything occur and reiterate that there is an opportunity to set this situation for success and not failure.
Then I would see or ask what they might be able to do to help resolve this and put some mutually beneficial ideas on the table...maybe 'lose the dog' and get her some pepper spray, or a firearms course or something along those lines. Maybe offer to go 'half'er's and get her a different dog that won't put everyone at a point of legal/financial liability?
My two bits.
BP

Last edited:

ehenry

Commander
I'm sure they are nice people, I did not say they weren't and I'm sure everyone in the community loves them. BUT....you pegged it. They are out of touch and wont be in touch until the animal hurts someone and they find themselves in court because of if. Chances are though that even if it goes that far they will just get a little hand slap.

I've never owned a pit but have friends that have in years past and they were good loving pets but that was back in the late 70s and early 80. Now, due to the popularity of fighting dogs, these type dogs are bred for aggression, had all of their good traits bred out of them and therefore dangerous to keep in a neighborhood setting. As was mentioned in an earlier post to this thread, the dog was put in a rescue for a reason. No one puts a good loving well adjusted dog in a rescue.

Maybe your neighbors can get Ceasar Milan to 'rehabilitate' the dog.

Last edited:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
My american pit bull terrier is hardly ever on a leash. Just about everywhere I go people complain if I don't bring him. He had a blast at the appalachcola iboats get together. Everyone's little kids tell me they got and they're gonna play.

Now I have had to call the police to file a report on my neighbors bull dog after it attacked my dog in my yard. Im friends with the neighbors and watched their house many times when were out of town.

I cannot tolerate an aggressive dangerous dog that is unrestrained.

I dont think a invisible fence is really a restraint. Ive watch dogs cross them and then they cant go home.

I do worry when unstable people get any dog. Every dog will be a great dog if socialized and given a pack leader to follow.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
I've never owned a pit but have friends that have in years past and they were good loving pets but that was back in the late 70s and early 80. Now, due to the popularity of fighting dogs, these type dogs are bred for aggression, had all of their good traits bred out of them and therefore dangerous to keep in a neighborhood setting. As was mentioned in an earlier post to this thread, the dog was put in a rescue for a reason. No one puts a good loving well adjusted dog in a rescue.

The reason most pit bulls are in shelters is because of paranoid misinformed people who make completely backwards statements like this and the problems it creates for their Owners.

ehenry

Commander
I call them like I see them, Craig. I am not condeming to dog. The owners are the issue here. IF the dog is truly aggresive it should be contained or removed.

I stand behind statement I made and will continue to do so..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well, let them know.
Start putting up posters with their name address and saying they harbor an aggressive dog. Mail a poster to everyone in the neighborhood, including them. Hang them up at the grocery store and hardware store.

As far as liability, chances are they are well insulated with umbrella policie(s) and various financial vehicles that shield their assets.

i like this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I would have thought this thread would have been long gone by now.... Obviously I thought wrong! Cheer up folks, It is another new day...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
I call them like I see them, Craig. I am not condeming to dog. The owners are the issue here. IF the dog is truly aggresive it should be contained or removed.

I stand behind statement I made and will continue to do so..

I'm just saying your facts are completely opposite of reality. Dog fighting is not more popular. It's a fraction of what it was. When they oulawed bull baiting in Ireland and England everybody started fight their dogs. Bull dogs that is the incredibly strong dogs with jaw of legends. They were the descendants of war dogs.

Since the fights turned into boring matches of two brutes locked together savy promoters bred terriers with bulls so they would be less powerful and more active. There in making for an entertaining match.

This is ancient history though. Yes some weird people have been breading dogs to fight in recent times, but it is a fraction of the amount of dogs of many breeds that have been bred to fight and kill.

Understand every bull dog, boxer, terrier/bull mix is classified as a pit dog, not just the four breeds commonly lumped as pitbulls.

It is the blind following of media histeria that continues to carry on.

nwcove

Admiral
I'm just saying your facts are completely opposite of reality. Dog fighting is not more popular. It's a fraction of what it was. When they oulawed bull baiting in Ireland and England everybody started fight their dogs. Bull dogs that is the incredibly strong dogs with jaw of legends. They were the descendants of war dogs.

Since the fights turned into boring matches of two brutes locked together savy promoters bred terriers with bulls so they would be less powerful and more active. There in making for an entertaining match.

This is ancient history though. Yes some weird people have been breading dogs to fight in recent times, but it is a fraction of the amount of dogs of many breeds that have been bred to fight and kill.

Understand every bull dog, boxer, terrier/bull mix is classified as a pit dog, not just the four breeds commonly lumped as pitbulls.

It is the blind following of media histeria that continues to carry on.

jmo, but those dogs were bred for hundreds of years for a purpose, and not a good one. " pit dogs" have become popular in recent years, but you cant undo a couple of hundred years of breeding for a purpose in a decade. again...jmo.

volchara

Seaman
.I love dogs but the pit bull is not one of them,I have his appearance disgusted,and mentally, he is not

Last edited:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Edited: Please try to be a little more gracious to all, Thanks.

Mwcove- what dog bred do you know of that was not bred to guard, hunt, kill? Even the little dogs chicks carry in their purses were bred to kill.

So by that every dog is dangerous. Mostly cause they are!

There are more agressive cocker spaniels and puddles then there are pitbulls.

No bred is worse. Some are bigger and therefor more dangerous if mishandled. Chows, rotts, bulls.... Way scarier than any 65 lb or less pitbull. Dobbies just as bad as pits same weight.

Dogs were bred to kill plain and simple. Every dog!

Last edited by a moderator:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are breeds out there, that were not bread to kill, there have been a lot of dog breeds that have been bread over the last couple of hundred years as pets, herding dogs for example, are trained specifically not to kill. All dogs are capable of killing, but they were not all bread to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.