Neighbors got a pitbull

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkust

Rear Admiral
All, looking for some dog advice. My long time neighbors took in a lady who was being battered by her boyfriend last fall, she wasn't exactly a stranger but they are allowing her to reside there permanently. For some reason the family went out and adopted an adult rescue Pit bull for her so she would have something to lover her...their words not mine. The domestic situation was the worst I've ever hear shy of her being killed. I had assumed the lady would get on her feet and leave but now have learned she has no plans to ever leave so what I thought would be short term situation is now long term. When they got the dog we expressed our concerns in a very neighborly way but they simply said the dog wasn't a pit bull when it is which was just odd. They have an invisible fence and the dog is aggressive to the point where I am expecting a child to walk through the yard and get attacked or it to get out of the yard and reek havoc. Their yard happens to be a cut through for the neighborhood elementary school kids walking to school but the dog is in the house the majority of the time. It would seem on facebook the guest as I will call her is realizing there is no obedience training available as no trainer will take on a pit bull and is always complaining about people bashing the breed and denying it services. These neighbors I'm realizing seem to be ignoring what ultimately could become an unfortunate situation but is directly next door to us. Yesterday, I was walking around the side of my house while it was dark and almost had a heart attack as it went on a barking rampage with only the invisible fence keeping it from advancing at me. This dog is unlike any dog I've ever experienced in its aggressiveness and out find myself having to always anticipate a dog attack when I'm in the yard or pull up from work. Yesterday caught me off guard not that it would help. They have had the invisible fence for years with their previous dog and it was less than reliable but the former dog was a sweet lab.
I checked and there are no local ordinances dealing with aggressive breed dogs, we have no Home Owners Association to discuss with. The Neighbors are ultra successful career people and are not home often and I think are happy to have saved the dog from being put down no matter what. The lady who they took in who technically owns the dog has the maturity and mental capacity of maybe a 20 year old due to not having outside contact with the world for 10 years.
This is just an odd situation but can not just sit on my hands and be Mr. nice neighbor.
I can't believe this is even a situation we would ever encounter quite honestly. Anybody have any advice on how to handle this? My wife doesn't want to make waves and I feel this is THE time to make them.

Tnstratofam

Commander
You could check with your local police department about how to report an aggressive pet. Fencing your own yard may be an option. Moving as mentioned is another. Although you could move to a much worse neighborhood with even worse neighbors. Constant vigilance by you and your family is the most important thing.

Personally I would keep a side arm handy as well. (But I am licensed for one.) Nothing stops an aggressive animal faster than a 45!

TexMonty

Seaman
I have no problems with pits, but I have had my share of next door neighbors with aggressive dogs when my kids were young. If these people are "ultra successful" hopefully they understand what personal liability is. I would start by having a friendly conversation so they understood the general concerns, making sure they understand whatever happens will fall on their shoulders since it is their property. If you see a lack of concern from them I would also talk to my local authorities just so they know the issue. They may likely pay them a visit to make sure they understand their liabilities also. I have even heard of homeowners insurance being cancelled due to aggressive dogs. I know it sucks but if this dog is that aggressive it is only time till something bad happens.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well for starters, I would get a large can of bear spray, or crowd control pepper spray, quite effective against aggressive dogs, I help a friend in his pepper spray plant for a while and I can tell you, the stuff works. If the dog rushes you, even on their property, I would give it s small burst of spray and start training it that your side of the yard is not a good place to be. Then I would get a hold of the local police dept and let them know your concerns, so perhaps they can lay out the rules for aggressive animals in your part of the country. Liability is a great thing, but it does not heal the mental anguish of being attacked by a aggressive animal. Make sure if you do get a can of pepper spray, let your neighbor know that you have it and will not hesitate to use it if the animal rushes you when you are out in your yard. I know all breeds can be aggressive and hurt you, but the Pit/Boxer type dogs can be especially challenging, this I know for a fact, a year ago, this last Christmas, I was at my sisters house and her son was their with his family which includes an Apple Head Boxer and his daughter threw her leg over mine while I was sitting next to her, when I reach down to move her leg, the Boxer latched onto my wrist and fractured it! It was not being aggressive, but just protecting his little girl, but it still hurt like heck and took a while to heal.

Like I said, I would let the neighbor know in a nice way, you are not going to put up with any crap from this dog and let him know you are concerned about it, and what you will dog if you feel threatened by the dog.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Mt has a better solution than mine. Probably not gonna create a lawsuit issue like my 45 solution would either. I'd follow his advice.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Neighbor had an aggressive dog about 10 years ago.
They were informed of what the dog was doing.

And yes, they too had the electric fencing.
Myself and 2 other neighbors took to carrying sidearms when in the yard, getting the mail, mowing the lawn, etc.
Problem ended a few months later.

While those electric fences are all nice, they are not reliable and a determined dog will run right through it.
That, and the batteries go dead and the owners have no clue.

Most communities still have a leash/fence/control law, and an electric fence does not always count.

Short of breaking the law, defend yourself.
Don't want to carry a gun, get a case of pepper spray and place a can by every door, in the garage, on the deck or patio.
Inform all parents and children of the situation, within a mile or two of your house.

Check into ordinance limiting the number of unrelated people living in a house.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I would agree on the liability situation mentioned and why I mentioned that they are ultra successful. They have a lot to lose should a worse case scenario happen. It just blows my mind that they are na?ve enough to bring a pit into the neighborhood. As for the bear spray and a .45, the issue I see is it attacking my youngest son or one of his friends or even my wife when she is out working in the yard. This is just such a clich? situation for 2015 and pisses me off that we are having to deal with it and the owners don't even have a clue how pissed off I am.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
This is just such a clich? situation for 2015 and pisses me off that we are having to deal with it and the owners don't even have a clue how pissed off I am.

Well, let them know.
Start putting up posters with their name address and saying they harbor an aggressive dog. Mail a poster to everyone in the neighborhood, including them. Hang them up at the grocery store and hardware store.

As far as liability, chances are they are well insulated with umbrella policie(s) and various financial vehicles that shield their assets.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Wow, that is a tough deal. First I'll say I am not a dog person and do not understand why people own pit bulls.

I would talk to the home owners every chance I get. Every time the dog makes those aggressive moves I'd be blowing up both their cell phones. I would lean heavily on the liability aspect and home owners insurance, I've heard that most do not cover pit bulls (I don't know if that's true). I would also ask them to put up a permanent heavy duty fence as the electric one could fail anytime.

Depending on how conversations go and how young your kids are (mine are 4 and 7) I would consider crossing the fence to see what the dog does. If it does attack you then maybe the owner's will have to do something. I would rather it latch on to my forearm a million times than my sons face once.

Two of close friends have pit bulls one has FIVE and one has one. I will never bring my kids to their house, there's probably a very slim chance that anything would ever happen but I'm not risking it with my kids.

salty87

Commander
They have a lot to lose should a worse case scenario happen. It just blows my mind that they are na?ve enough to bring a pit into the neighborhood.

This is the angle to pursue. If they're smart they should care about their liability.

Do they know how aggressive the dog is?...have they seen it charge you or others? If not, get a video and show 'em. If they have and don't care then they're never going to be any help so protect yourself and your family. Blasting some pepper spray sounds good. "I thought it was past the wire and coming for me." You probably wouldn't even need a direct hit.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Being pissed off, normally does not solve a situation, you need to convey your strong concerns to your neighbor and why. Aggressive dogs are a real threat, I would not focus on it being a Pit, but I would focus on it being a dog showing very aggressive tendencies. Take proactive productive steps to solve a situation that has great concern for you, that means protecting yourself, your family and others in the neighborhood. I would talk to the authorities and lodge your concerns with them and the reasons why, talk to animal control in your area with the same information. You don't want a war on your hands, just a solution that fits the needs of the parties involved. Take a calm, logical approach to this situation and I am sure as adults you will be able to come up with a solution. It might be a good time to suggest the neighbor puts a fence in for safety reasons.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Being pissed off, normally does not solve a situation, you need to convey your strong concerns to your neighbor and why. Aggressive dogs are a real threat, I would not focus on it being a Pit, but I would focus on it being a dog showing very aggressive tendencies. Take proactive productive steps to solve a situation that has great concern for you, that means protecting yourself, your family and others in the neighborhood. I would talk to the authorities and lodge your concerns with them and the reasons why, talk to animal control in your area with the same information. You don't want a war on your hands, just a solution that fits the needs of the parties involved. Take a calm, logical approach to this situation and I am sure as adults you will be able to come up with a solution. It might be a good time to suggest the neighbor puts a fence in for safety reasons.

Thanks for this....honestly this is my self imposed 24 hour calm down period and why I posted.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
This is the angle to pursue. If they're smart they should care about their liability.

Do they know how aggressive the dog is?...have they seen it charge you or others? If not, get a video and show 'em. If they have and don't care then they're never going to be any help so protect yourself and your family. Blasting some pepper spray sounds good. "I thought it was past the wire and coming for me." You probably wouldn't even need a direct hit.

Pepper spray is very effective on all types of aggressive animals, both 4 legged and 2 legged, I had cases of it available to my men/women that served in my unit and they were taught how to use and in which situation to use it in, I also have worked in a friends pepper spray facility, Since living in Montana I have used it to deter 2 bear attacks. I don't hesitate to use it in any situation that can happen, you just want to make sure and get a cloud pattern spray and not a stream, you don't want to have to aim in a charging situation, you want a cloud or a wall between you and the threat.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off, doesn't matter the breed. An aggressive dog is an aggressive dog. Any respectable animal rescue operation would not allow an innately aggressive dog, regardless of breed, to be adopted. My guess is that the aggression that the dog is currently displaying is out of fear and lack of familiarization with its new environment. Hopefully with time, the dog will adapt and its behavior will improve.

With that said, the dog needs training. The "lack of services for pitbulls" response is total bs, IMO. Somewhere there is a trainer willing to train aggressive dogs. Whether the owners want to spend the money or drive the extra distance to get the appropriate training is another question. Even if the closest trainer is a million miles away, there is nothing stopping them from training the dog themselves or taking the appropriate measures to ensure that the situation does not present any danger. Personally, I would search for a trainer on my own that would be willing to train the dog, then share the trainer's contact info with them. Go to the nearest vet for any literature they might provide for free on obedience training and also share it with them. pick up a dog training book and give it to them. As for protecting yourself, call the neighbors and ask them to bring the dog inside if you are going to be outside at the same time. It will be a PITA for you but it will also be a PITA for your neighbor to constantly be hearing about their dog. If you decide to use any weapons or tools, let your neighbor know that you've taken to arming yourself and that the only reason you are doing so is because of the dog. Basically, drop as many clues or make as many overt gesturers as you can that lets them know that the situation makes you uncomfortable and hopefully will make them uncomfortable enough to come around.

TexMonty

Seaman
During one of my aggressive dog ordeals I too walked in the back yard with a pistol - but guns and sprays only help those that are carrying them. JKUST mentioned kids and others walking close and those are the ones that will get attacked. The dog needs to go and in these days we all carry umbrellas, but if your smart enough to have an umbrella your smart enough to not put yourself in the likely position of using it IMHO.

I even thought a couple times of throwing over a few "special" dog treats, but then knew I would end up being the bad guy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't know, but how about going the opposite direction and making serious friends with the dog. Most dogs love treats and if you offer that aggressive dog some tasty treats every time you see him/her, then the dog will see you as a good guy and someone that treats him/her with yummy treats. It could work and the cost of a few treats could do the total difference... Short of that, I see nothing but serious trouble, angry neighbors, and/or law suit or hospital bills and somebody getting seriously hurt down the road... JMHO!

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a personal experience like this to draw off. My neighbors dog was giving me lots of trouble for a long time, generally only while it was on my neighbors property . I tried my best to ignore the situation and went about my business until one day it caught up to me. My young daughter and I were walking outside on our property and the dog charged us when it darted out of the bushes on the property line. I quickly gathered my daughter in my arms and stood my ground for the confrontation. The dog stopped just short of me and displayed some very agreesive behavior before it retreated. I brought my daughter in the house and returned to the yard with my handgun in my pants determined to end it if he charged me again on my property. He did and I decided it was his lucky day and shot over him a couple times to scare him off. My message to you is don't go down the path I did. My anger got the better of me and I acted in a manner I'm not very proud of. Figure out a rational solution. I moved shortly after that event because it was now impossible for me to feel good about living there any longer. Good luck and try to do the right thing, whatever that may be.

tpenfield

Staff member
Notify the school that is nearby, the neighborhood, the police and local animal control. Consult other local animal authorities, there may be a reason why this dog was going to be put down.

See if you can get the dog to chase your car as you drive by their yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.