Noreaster Juno

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yup, eye passed 50 miles east of predicted yesterday and that was a difference of 20" accumulation. My back hurts just looking out the window at it.

We get more than that at my GF's cabin in our local mountains in southern California!

This shows how the media likes to make things overblown and the people that buy into it. I bet the grocery stores were happy about it!

My nephew who was born and raised in CA and now lives in Cambridge, MA wonders what the fuss is all about. He says these east coast people get pretty excited about a little snow. He said he has seen way worse blizzards where we live out here up in the mountains.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Taking a break from snow blowing . . . got a bit more to finish up this afternoon. The storm has pretty much wound down here, so about 28-30" . . . not too bad . . . the fact that the state issues a driving ban makes the road crew's job a whole lot easier and things get back to normal fairly quickly.

Here are a few pics from the morning . . .

Upon opening the garage door
GarageDoor.JPG

Measuring the depth
YardStick.JPG

The snow was a bit higher than the snow blower
SnowBlowerDepth.JPG

This was my new Snow Blower's first real workout, not too bad. It is a Troy-Bilt 24" model . . . I had a 21" Toro before that was quite the workhorse for its size.

I'm doing the walk in front of the house, so the neighborhood kids don't have to walk in the road.

I still got to clear a path for the heating oil guy . . .

Attachments

• GarageDoor.JPG
    GarageDoor.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

angus63

Captain
When it snows in a rural location, the locals deal and the news people could not care less. When a blizzard is forecast in a region with 30 million people in a transportation critical urban region, the media salivates like Pavlov's puppies.
That is why I avoid the weather channel and network news. I put my trust in the good scientists at NWS and NOAA, and the local weather guy who lives in my town and has as much concern for his home as I do.
Tpenfield looks like you have a a bit more than us. Final likely to be 24" for us. No record but plenty!

Last edited:

angus63

Captain
I came in to refuel and change out of my sweaty layers. Scooted across the hall to the shower in my long johns and my daughter spied me. "Nice old man yoga pants!". No respect....

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check this out. This is the other side of the island I live in. If you look close at the photo, you can make out the peak of a house. 24" is just a start for us up here. At about the same time we had a storm here. It gave us about 28-30". The worst was the 6ft drift I had to move to get to the tractor and loader.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03...#__federated=1

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
Check this out. This is the other side of the island I live in. If you look close at the photo, you can make out the peak of a house. 24" is just a start for us up here. At about the same time we had a storm here. It gave us about 28-30". The worst was the 6ft drift I had to move to get to the tractor and loader.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03...#__federated=1

posted this last year but it seems fitting for an encore..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5cgwTY5ME

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like Boston is taking another day to clean things up from the storm . . . so, companies are being asked to have employees work from home . . . looks like I'll be at home again tomorrow :)

nwcove

Admiral
only got about 4" here, forecast was for a foot or more. the paid snow day off was nice tho!

angus63

Captain
No Title

The after picture makes Long Island resemble the white cliffs of Dover. Only the dog loves it. I think he's part penguin.

Attachments

• photo214908.jpg
    photo214908.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral
Our forecast calls for 8 - 12" of snow with 35 mph winds. It is starting right now and will continue until early Monday morning.:cool:

The national news media is no where to be seen.:facepalm:

Just another day in the Great Lakes State.:)

tpenfield

Staff member
Here we go again (too) with WS 'Linus' for Monday. . .

StormTotalSnowRangeFeb2.png

I am expecting that work places and schools will be cancelling again.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Our forecast calls for 8 - 12" of snow with 35 mph winds. It is starting right now and will continue until early Monday morning.:cool:

The national news media is no where to be seen.:facepalm:

Just another day in the Great Lakes State.:)

+1 Lucky Lake Erie is 90% frozen or we could be talking feet rather than inches. :couch2:
huts

tpenfield

Staff member
Juno, Linus, Marcus . . . What the . . . ???

We are starting to wave the white flag, but nature can't see it among all the snow . . .

Forecast for Feb 8-9 . . . Boston Area gonna get slammed again. Only used to having 1 of these types of storms in a season , , , maybe 2 at the most. Still a lot of winter left. StormTotalSnowRangeFeb8.png

I went to check on the boat (on Cape Cod) this weekend, seems to be OK.

Attachments

• StormTotalSnowRangeFeb8.png
    StormTotalSnowRangeFeb8.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DayCruiser

Ensign
I like one or 2 regular snows a year. 2 or 3 or more blizzards and I would be out on the ledge. I won't brag about our weather here in SC today because I am a nice guy

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That was us last year. Other than a good snow early Nov, we can't buy any. I wish we could take "some" of it so I could get back to work one of these days.... I truly feel sorry for you guys out there, feast or famine......

tpenfield

Staff member
I shoveled off much of the roof yesterday . . . of course my neighbor (who is like 80 years old) thinks he has to do his roof too . . .'don't do it' I am thinking.

Snow totals were about 4 inches on Saturday eve, then not much Sunday . . . So far 9" from last night to today (Monday), making 13" total so far . . .

NWS has adjusted the accumulation totals slightly from yesterday . . .

StormTotalSnowRangefeb9B.png

The '18-24' zone has shrunk a bit, but is still centered around Boston, which is unusual, sine the city typically gets less snow than the 'burbs.

I gotta shovel the roof off again . . . dam ice dams causing all kinds of water problems. Hopefully the sun on a bare roof for the next few days will provide some relief.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ Was thinking of you listening to the news this morning. Wow. What a winter!

angus63

Captain
New England gettng walloped every Monday. We escaped snow today but received 1/8" ice. My daughter's friend slipped and ripped the side view mirror offf of my daughter's car at school trying to stay upright. Spent the morning at the junkyard tearing one off a junker. Turned wife's laundry room into a spray booth and shot the new mirror with gloss white. Still a little light headed. Room definitely needs a vent! Hope she likes the white wall : )