wifi extenders

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Although its a pain in the butt, how about drilling a hole in the floor and dropping down a cat 5/6-etc cable and do the hard wire thing.

Lots of places to buy pre connectorized cables.

yeah not a huge deal actually to wall fish up to attic then over to the upstairs room. I'm an old satellite installer and can run a wire just fine but in management last 10 years and lazy i guess.

Just never realized WIFI was limited as much. But since moved no issues.................. *yet*

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am so glad, I don't live in a city, it would be terrible,
You think living in the city is bad....live in a city and live in an apartment house or a condo complex. Then you have real problems.

I had terrible wifi in my house when my router was on the floor. I moved it to the top of a book shelf and now I can get it at the neighbors house!

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah we are at least an acre form the nearest neighbor. Still not drops. Looks like a permanent solution will be ti put even higher and relax.

Thanks all; good info for others and probably for me in the future.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I remember correctly, WIFI signals go down and out from the antenna. The higher the router is in a location the better/stronger the signal is.

May need to just move it as high as possible.

64osby

Admiral
I run 2 -2.4 routers to feed 2 hard line desktops, 3 laptops, 1 kindle, 4 cell phones, 1 wireless blueray dvd, 1 smart TV, 1, PS-3, 2 - I pads and an Air Rave.

One is secure and one is open. Most of the house fed equipment is on the secure router.

Location is tucked behind a wood file cabinet on the main floor. All works well in the house, but not much outside.

No issues from neighbors, we live out in the country and have a few acres.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah I've really not been home enough to test much but looks like I'll be working form home next week or two. Seems since we moved it up, and away from some other devices that might have been giving off RF it's been way better.