The Domino Effect...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to ask this because I seem to get caught up in it all the time. Has anybody else got themselves into a "Domino Effect"? By that I mean I wanted to move my present Tom Boy boat hull into my shop so I can continue with the project rebuild without worries of the weather. BUT, to be able to do that I have to clear out a space in the shop that has so much clutter sitting there now. And to be able to clear out that space, I need to put a lot of things up into the long term storage overtop the breeze way that the boat hull is sitting under presently. But to be able to do that I have to install a flooring substructure on the existing 2" x 12's" there to lay the long term storage stuff on. But since there is no lighting up there, I have to install some lights and switches. And so to be able to do that, I have to go BUY the supplies to wire it first. Then I can see to install some type flooring to hold the "Stuff" up there. Then I can clean up the space so I can move the boat in to my shop... Get the domino effect now? Such a really simply idea to get so involved. Seems every time I have to do something like that I run into that "Domino Effect"! Am I the only one? :facepalm:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I too struggle with this strange phenomenon! :facepalm: I personally think my wife, my stepson, my house, my garage, and all my stuff secretly conspire at all hours of the night and day to figure out how to make what should be the simplest of tasks turn into a multi step ordeal!:frusty:

dwco5051

Commander
I too have suffered over the years with that same effect. For many years it was magnified by the fact that everything I wanted to do was contingent on doing something else first that I did not have the money for.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I have some encouraging news already. I did buy the electrical supplies and finished installing two lights with plug in receptacle at each light and a switch at the top of the drop down stairs now. So tomorrow I will floor the 2" x 12" rafters and then start moving (and throwing away) thing up there to store. So light at the end of the tunnel already... I'm tired now... :faint2: :sleeping:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Well I have some encouraging news already. I did buy the electrical supplies and finished installing two lights with plug in receptacle at each light and a switch at the top of the drop down stairs now. So tomorrow I will floor the 2" x 12" rafters and then start moving (and throwing away) thing up there to store. So light at the end of the tunnel already... I'm tired now... :faint2: :sleeping:

With my luck, I'd need the garage space to cut the flooring sheets. It's always a "slider puzzle" around here too. - Grandad

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I too suffer....bought a router,of corse then I needed a table saw,then I needed a compound sliding miter saw,now I need a surface planer,belt sander,the list goes on....all just to install baseboards in the kitchen........

dwco5051

Commander
So tomorrow I will floor the 2" x 12" rafters and then start moving (and throwing away) thing up there to store. So light at the end of the tunnel already... I'm tired now... :faint2: :sleeping:

Throwing anything away has never been thought of in my shop and garages.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yep, as soon as you do, you're off to the store to buy a new one.

Oh yea that has happen to me as well. And I love to keep things, especially hardware. Everything I take apart, whether to fix or disassemble for parts, I keep the hardware. But I have separate parts drawers for all different sizes of hardware to store those hardware parts. BUT, seems everything I go to build something and need four of one size bolts, screws, washers, or even lock washers, I can find three and never four of a kind... But if I needed six sets of hardware for my latest project, then I can find five. So I buy new hardware so many times because I'm anal about matching hardware... A total curse!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have taken on a little different thought these days about keeping things for later usage. If I think I seriously will use any thing in question and honestly convince myself of that, then I keep it. But if I think I will either never use it again even if it is really a good item or simple buy it new if needed again, then it goes either to the trash can or I donate it now to habitat for humanity. I have given tons of things to such organizations lately. Too good to trash, but just know I will never get around to using it either. So when I use that phrase of throwing things away, actually gets divided into one of those possibilities of where it really goes...

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
And I love to keep things, especially hardware. Everything I take apart, whether to fix or disassemble for parts, I keep the hardware.
The sides of my 30-year-old workbench came from a dishwasher that my uncle disassembled for parts before he discarded the unusable components. He was a teenager during the depression and quite resourceful. The workbench has survived two moves and I use it to this day. Thank you Uncle Ted!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well a little update on my recent Domino Effect situation. My son and I were able to load multiple sheets of exterior grade 3/4" plywood up in that storage area now and with the lights, receptacles and wiring, seems my shop will get cleaned out now and the boat work can once again continue now....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have some more updates. I was able, after some long hard work by myself, to move around all the 4' by 8' sheets of plywood and screw them down to the studs up in my new storage area yesterday. I predrilled every hole so that IF there ever is a need to pull up any panel, I can back out the screws to get at whatever I need too. I much have used at least a hundred no-corrode coated all weather screws. And I am certainly feeling it today too... :fatigue::fatigue: You can always tell when you do things that are not your usual daily routine...at least I can now! :miserable: So now the items can be loaded up there to allow me to roll my project boat into the shop to continue the rebuild again. Yea me! :whoo::high5:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you save a scrap piece of plywood for the garage sale sign? :eek: LOL

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
this phenomenon describes every single weekend of my life for about the last 20 years. But alas, I can partially, (partially) blame myself for keeping old hardware and anything that may be of use in the future. But I'm getting better about it-I finally threw away the box labeled "pieces of string to short to use":laugh:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Did you save a scrap piece of plywood for the garage sale sign? :eek: LOL

Now that IS funny right there. I don't care who you are. The only way I have anything to sell is if the folks coming around are nerdy and technically minded like me. Because I don't see too many folks wanting old transformers or electronic parts and things like that. They are very good items, but not to the usual garage sell or yard sell type folks... So when I do decide to discard such, it really hurts me... And that is the main reason I don't go to yard or garage sell either. I've seen all the old clothes, broken toys and ripped up stuffed bears I can stand! Now if they were selling some center-fire empty brass or 20 or 12 gauge shotgun hulls. then I would enjoy. Or even old rifles, or quality good tools. But never my luck...R/C, woodworking, metal working, electronics and even auto work items are my interest. Of course boats and fishing as well...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
this phenomenon describes every single weekend of my life for about the last 20 years. But alas, I can partially, (partially) blame myself for keeping old hardware and anything that may be of use in the future. But I'm getting better about it-I finally threw away the box labeled "pieces of string to short to use":laugh:

Oh that sounds exactly like my huge wire box... :facepalm:

aspeck Welcome to my world! It makes me glad to see so many others in the same boat... I just had too! :lol: