Boating Cartographer

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I fly big airplanes for a living. This morning I flew from Europe to the the U.S. All along the coast of Canada are a series of fixes that are used as "Coast-in" points for airplanes crossing the North Atlantic. They're also used as "Coast-out" fixes for airplanes heading the opposite direction. The fixes all have five-letter names and are located approximately 120 miles off shore. Many have nonsensical names like ALTOD or KETLA, but some are given names that reflect the map makers' interests. This morning my route took me over one named for a type of boat, DORYY, which is just south of CUDDY. DORYY has a double "Y" because the fixes must have five letters so an extra "y" was added.

The picture shows my cockpit moving map display showing the two fixes. They're about 160 miles northeast of Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada, represented by the blue circle labeled CYYR. The green areas are the Canadian coast line as depicted by the Enhanced Ground Prox system. I know there are more than a few pilots on iBoats and thought they might find this of interest.

Attachments

• photo214198.jpg
    photo214198.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 0

aspeck

Staff member
That is cool, Four Winns. Who do you fly for?

alldodge

Staff member
Not a pilot but always wanted to, mainly helicopters. Either way thanks for sharing

fetch

southkogs

Staff member
I get a kick outta' unique signatures in things like this: Nashville has some RNAV with names like DANLS, HGGRD (which sometimes gets referred to as "Merle") and PRDN.

That's cool Winns. What plane are ya' flyin'?

four winns 214

I get a kick outta' unique signatures...........What plane are ya' flyin'?

Midway between Atlantic City and New York is an airway (V-312) that has two adjacent intersections JIMEE FALON. It's 15 miles east of Coyle VOR.

The photo was taken in a B767-300.

southkogs

Staff member
Midway between Atlantic City and New York is an airway (V-312) that has two adjacent intersections JIMEE FALON. It's 15 miles east of Coyle VOR.

The photo was taken in a B767-300.
Makes keeping an eye on the map not so boring sometimes ... I'm not a pilot, but I get to spend a decent amount of time in the air and SIMs. One of the planes I'm in a lot is a 182 with the G1000 and I can keep myself occupied for hours monkeying around with the MFD.

I had the chance to fly a 777 full motion SIM a couple years ago. It's amazing the technology built into the flight decks anymore.

four winns 214

It's amazing the technology built into the flight decks anymore.
The 757 and 767 were among the first "glass" cockpit airplanes. The cockpits are very similar and they share a common type rating for the pilots. I fly both, but mostly the 767. Air traffic controllers used to sometimes refer to the 757 as the "Atari Ferrari" because of its cockpit and spectacular performance. A light 757 will really pin your ears back on takeoff, even at a reduced thrust.

The 757/767 cockpit was pretty cosmic 30 years ago, but that G1000 C-182 you fly in makes it seem Stone Age.

southkogs

Staff member
The 757/767 cockpit was pretty cosmic 30 years ago, but that G1000 C-182 you fly in makes it seem Stone Age.
It's kinda' funny where the slick technology lives: I get into the UH60 SIM with guard quite a bit, and while there's plenty of technology there, it's no where near as polished (or intuitive) as the G1000. HOWEVER, when I've gotten to tour the working 60s the guard is flying outta' Smyrna, TN - it's almost all round dial.

Conversely, I had a chance to fly on a USAF C-17 a few years ago and the flight deck on that thing was just short of Star Trek.

Cool job Winns, enjoy.