Movie review "Unbroken"

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As I know many on here are former Military, I wanted to let you know, I got my hands on a awards committee copy of the new movie that was released on Christmas day entitled "Unbroken" this is a true story about a WWII American war hero, who I had opportunity to meet several years ago while I was still serving, he came an visited many of us that happen to be in the hospital. It is a movie I would recommend to all who are interested in what happened in the Japanese POW camps in WWII. I am not biases against the Japanese in any way, but by watching this movie, I can see why so many families were. My first wife was Japanese and my daughter is 1/2 Japanese, but man my family was not happy with me when I married a Japanese woman. It is a good story, well worth watching.

robert graham

Admiral
Wife and I saw the movie last week and thought it was very well done.....my wife read the book recently and really enjoyed this hero's true story!....Bravo to Hollywood for producing a movie with something to say!...

thumpar

Admiral
I will have to watch it when it comes out on Bluray. It has been awhile since a good movie has come out. My grandpa served in WWII in combat. He was not a fan of the Japanese.

robert graham

Admiral
I will have to watch it when it comes out on Bluray. It has been awhile since a good movie has come out. My grandpa served in WWII in combat. He was not a fan of the Japanese.

I wouldn't consider the movie a "must see" type film, but it was well done....expect the book was much better/more detailed...at least that's what the boss-lady says...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't consider the movie a "must see" type film, but it was well done....expect the book was much better/more detailed...at least that's what the boss-lady says...

The book is always better to read as they have the ability to expand quite a bit over a movie, but for a movie it was worth watching, I am going to read the book so I can get more in depth with the story.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The book was very good. I remember thinking while reading it that I would never go see it if it turned in to a movie. I think a lot of scenes may just be too difficult to watch.

Twidget

Commander
The movie looks very interesting, but I will wait for the DVD. Im a grumpy old man that doesnt do movie theaters anymore.

Here is a book along the same lines. http://www.amazon.com/Hells-Guest-Col-Glenn-Frazier/dp/193655416X I met the author a few years ago while touring the USS Alabama in Mobile.

I had an uncle on the USS Franklin when it was hit by kamikazes, his brother died in the fight for Incheon and my Dad fought in Viet Nam.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The book was very good. I remember thinking while reading it that I would never go see it if it turned in to a movie. I think a lot of scenes may just be too difficult to watch.

I agree. It was a portrayal so powerful that no movie could do it justice. It was an incredible story of trial and redemption that was hard to believe that any mortal man could have endured it.

Now I am waiting until I can go see American Sniper!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All my friends said not to waste your money on Unbroken so I am going to use my SAG friend's DVD instead. I am looking forward to American Sniper.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Got a copy of Unbroken last night from a friend who works in the industry. Glad I didn't go to a theater and watch it. What a major disappointment! Whoever wrote that screenplay needs to be fired.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sorry to hear you didn't like the movie Bruce, I just guess I have a different perspective on the POW story, my uncle spent 19 months in a German Concentration camp in WWII after he was shot down, the stories he told were really sad. Just watching it, added a great amount of perspective to many things in my life and why they went the direction they did.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If they cut half of the lifeboat part out and half of the prison camp out and then actually continued the story of his troubles after the war, would have been 10 times better.

I have no problem with the story. It just got turned into a below average movie.

Last edited: