January is Rough

64osby

Admiral
Left the house at 3:30 to move my MIL from rehabilitation back to assisted living. Made it to the gas station 5 miles away it was now blizzard conditions. It wasn't snowing when we left the house. 3 degrees and 20 + mph winds. :eek:

Packed up MIL and headed out. White out conditions. The drive took over 30 minutes when it it normally takes about 10.

Was able to get her settled and headed for home at 6:30. A normal 15 minute drive was now 45 minutes. We have about 5 inches of fluffy white stuff blowing and drifting all over the place. Temp is now up to 9 degrees.

Forecast is calling for up to 12" tonight and 3 - 6" tomorrow. :cold:

Kids are happy they have even called school for tomorrow already.:joyous:

Have stoked up the wood stove and made a stiff drink.

Time to settle in for the night.:)

DayCruiser

Ensign
I don't think we made it above freezing yesterday even though it was sunny. Wind is howling out there now at 25 degrees. Not as bad as last night temp wise. Chill factor is low.
I was driving through PA one time at night during White out conditions. My hands were gripping the steering wheel in terror lol. I could not see the sides of the road. Maybe a foot in front. Big ole flakes. Snow country should stake their roads??? I know Alaska stakes some of their roads from watching the ice road trucker show. I couldn't tell whether I was going to drive off into a ditch.
The Power company is asking people to cut back on their power usage. Turn down the thermostats and cut off lights etc. Many homes here just are not as tightly sealed as up North it seems. New laws made it easier to get Solar in SC starting this year. Solar would help out for sure. Power bills will run well over $200 if this keeps up. Last year many had $400 plus per month power bills
I like for the weather to change. We get a variety of weather and I like that. I don't think I would like CA or Fla weather all the time. Change is good for me when it comes to weather. Right now I am ready for it to change again lol

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So, let me get this straight. Every January, there are always posts like these that complain about the cold, the snow and the freezing temps and how the same people love the variety of weather yet they wouldn't want to live in CA because they don't get this variety!

Is that what I am reading? :)

64osby

Admiral
^^^ I would comment on that but it would very political and the mods would not like it. It is beautiful in places but wouldn't want to live there.

DayCruiser

Ensign
So, let me get this straight. Every January, there are always posts like these that complain about the cold, the snow and the freezing temps and how the same people love the variety of weather yet they wouldn't want to live in CA because they don't get this variety!

Is that what I am reading? :)

Yea people want it all-- surprise!. I like snow and cold but I don't want it to be cold and/or snowy all the time. The first snow is exciting but once it snows like 5 times people get bored with it. Still they wouldn't want to miss that first snow. I like rain but I don't want it to be rainy all the time. I like for it to be dry, but I don't like for it to be dry all the time. I like hot weather, but I don't like it to be hot all the time. I love the see the leaves change colors. Fall is a beautiful sight, but people complain about raking leaves. Still they would not want to miss Fall colors. The relief from the Summers heat turns into dread when the cold stays. The excitement from change is what many people like. Some just like the same ole same ole and move to Fla lol
Now Bruce, I don't want to see you complain about Earthquakes. Since you chose to living in Earthquake country

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yea people want it all-- surprise!. I like snow and cold but I don't want it to be cold and/or snowy all the time. The first snow is exciting but once it snows like 5 times people get bored with it. Still they wouldn't want to miss that first snow. I like rain but I don't want it to be rainy all the time. I like for it to be dry, but I don't like for it to be dry all the time. I like hot weather, but I don't like it to be hot all the time. I love the see the leaves change colors. Fall is a beautiful sight, but people complain about raking leaves. Still they would not want to miss Fall colors. The relief from the Summers heat turns into dread when the cold stays. The excitement from change is what many people like. Some just like the same ole same ole and move to Fla lol
Now Bruce, I don't want to see you complain about Earthquakes. Since you chose to living in Earthquake country

Yep, pretty much spot on. Too much of a good or bad thing can be bad....... ex. 6 months of winter, or 12 months of summer......... Watch out for earthquakes in Texas too.......:)

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wish they didn't exist along with a few other things. Can't have everything!

I will take earthquakes over tornadoes and hurricanes anyday.

At least where I live, I can be skiing one day, and playing golf or biking the next day.

Watch out for earthquakes in Texas too.......:)
Not sure I would classify a 3.6 as a earthquake!

Last edited:

DayCruiser

Ensign
A good bit of February is looking much better according to the long range forecast(which is crap, but we can hope).. Many days in the 60s after a 1st week chilly start. I don't think we are heading for a repeat of last year where February and March had below normal temps. El Nino effect looks like it is kicking in. Not all that cold in the SE most of the time the rest of the winter-- knock on wood. I hope the Sun comes out today because it has been cloudy and dreary all week :(

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
winter_sucks_09.gif