January is Rough

DayCruiser

Ensign
2 months left before Boating season around here. Sometimes it warms up in early March enough to go boating. January has to be the worst month. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel in February. All you can see in January is February. Cold in the SE. Only a high of 30 tomorrow. I would love to be taking advantage of the lower gas prices on the Lake. Our luck and they will zoom back up by then. Nothing to do but sit in the house and whine. Have a pity party. Pretty good at that haha

aspeck

Staff member
Since sub 0 temps coming tonight, and near that last night, my bro decided to take the hunting pontoon out of the water ... too much ice forming for it. I won't be able to break the ice in the coves after tonight with my boat (at least not safely), so I guess our boating is finally finished for a bit. Bummer. Last Friday we left the smoke poles at home and only took the shotguns. Ducks flushed too early and geese were no where to be found, but the deer were out along the water's edge ... should have brought the muzzleloaders! Geez! So, yep, I believe officially done for a little bit! Bummer!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With all this "dead" time in January and February, this is a great time to disassemble clean and oil all the fishing reels and rods. And rework your tackle boxes too. Even a great time to make sure your trailer wiring is ready for the season too. While it isn't fishing, it does pass the time until fishing time rolls around...and if you have as many fishing rods and reels as I have, that disassemble and cleaning effort can take a long time. Then re-spool new line and be prepared!

DayCruiser

Ensign
Misery loves Company. Thanks aspect! Really sorry to see your hunting season end. Nothing good about January!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Geez guys, we haven't boated for over 2 months already. February is usually just as cold as January. We currently are at -10 with -40 windchills. Schools are closed in the area. We've been driving on the lakes for a while. "Hope" to be boating early May.. The last 2 years we've had ice on the lakes for opener, which is the first weekend in May. Plenty of snow yet to come Feb - April....... So stop your whining! :)

DayCruiser

Ensign
Ok scratch that part about nothing good about January. The NFL playoffs are the only bright spots.Good Lord we have to wait until February to see the Super Bowl. Who cares by then?

DayCruiser

Ensign
With all this "dead" time in January and February, this is a great time to disassemble clean and oil all the fishing reels and rods. And rework your tackle boxes too. Even a great time to make sure your trailer wiring is ready for the season too. While it isn't fishing, it does pass the time until fishing time rolls around...and if you have as many fishing rods and reels as I have, that disassemble and cleaning effort can take a long time. Then re-spool new line and be prepared!

OMG last year was a year of endless repairs! $$$$. The boat, work stuff and home things. I got afraid to look at anything, start anything because I was see or hear something that needed fixing. I think the starter on the boat was going out toward the end of the season. The trailer wiring needs repaired. I got honey dood up the ying yang. I tried to repair the sink two times. Still drip drip drip. Oh mr fix it is a drip! she says haha. I just spent way too much money in 2014
Put me out in 100 degree heat and I am fine. But I don't do well in the cold.
I admit WIMUSKY yall have it much worse for much longer than we do. I really don't see how you stand it. I think you said you plowed. Now that would be something to pass the time and maybe make some money. I do love Snow. We just don't get as much Snow as we used to.. Cold, rainy, pretty boring winter weather here much of the time. Sometimes 50s and low 60s

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
We spend the winters in the Phoenix area, the winters are as nice as many places summer.
But there is a boating season :)

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Even though it's -25C today, I like January. Christmas is over (except for paying for it), the days are getting longer, and the Toronto boat show is next week. Hopefully, the Fountain bikini girls will be there again this year, they always make me feel warm! :jaw:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I admit WIMUSKY yall have it much worse for much longer than we do. I really don't see how you stand it. I think you said you plowed. Now that would be something to pass the time and maybe make some money. I do love Snow. We just don't get as much Snow as we used to.. Cold, rainy, pretty boring winter weather here much of the time. Sometimes 50s and low 60s

The older I get the less I can stand it. We have 6 months of snow usually. I don't mind snow, but 6 montths of winter is a little long. The older we get time seems to go by quicker. It's starting to feel like I spend most of my time in winter. Spent 52 years in a snowbank. Might be time for a warmer climate. Snowmobiling is fun, ice fishing is ok, but I'd trade it all to spend more time in the boat.

I do plow. Started out with lots of snow early Nov. Then we had rain and it melted. Now we have about 4" on the ground which isn't enought to do much of anything. The plow hasn't dropped for awhile..... Supposed to make it up to the teens for highs next week......

As with a lot of us who dream of moving, I'll probably be here forever......:)

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
January is nutz for me. Fishing season ends December 31. The fishing and boating shows start this week. We have seven shows in the area in the next six weeks. The end of February, Perch fishing is in full swing and the Stripers start showing up in the usual early season haunts. By that time, the phone is ringing off the hook from procrastinators wanting to make appointments to get their rods and reels repaired in the next 2-3 weeks. Doesn't give me much time to get things done in time to put the boat back in the slip my mid-March.

DayCruiser

Ensign
Ok WIMUSKY, stop letting your winter sink South please. Around 10 degrees here right now brrrr! Heat strips are staying on$$$. I am over 50 and I agree about the time flying by. Seems to fly by even faster in the Spring and Summer. You want to put the breaks on time when you are out on the boat. Always true--too much of anything is not a good thing. I guess it takes winter to make us appreciate Summer and the activities that come with it. Nothing like the first hint of Spring. I have spent time in Florida some winters. 3 days to a week at a time. Just makes it harder on me when I get back to the cold.
Parts of Arizona gets winter. I have been there when there was snow on the ground in January. To the poster concerning Phoenix AZ
I don't know if it is climate change or a pattern change but we used to get a lot of sleet and freezing rain in SC. Ice storms that brought down trees and power lines. The last ice storm was 2005 in the Upper part of the State, which is usually the coldest. We used to get more Snow and it stayed on the ground longer. Roads froze over. Things start changing around 1998. Cold high pressure up North. Low comes up from the Gulf and meets cold air in place--snow or ice or a mix of the two. Low forms off the Atlantic coast usually means all snow.
February brings boat shows and the Bass Master Classic to SC
Common January get out of here! haha

The older I get the less I can stand it. We have 6 months of snow usually. I don't mind snow, but 6 montths of winter is a little long. The older we get time seems to go by quicker. It's starting to feel like I spend most of my time in winter. Spent 52 years in a snowbank. Might be time for a warmer climate. Snowmobiling is fun, ice fishing is ok, but I'd trade it all to spend more time in the boat.

I do plow. Started out with lots of snow early Nov. Then we had rain and it melted. Now we have about 4" on the ground which isn't enought to do much of anything. The plow hasn't dropped for awhile..... Supposed to make it up to the teens for highs next week......

As with a lot of us who dream of moving, I'll probably be here forever......:)

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

As a Great Lakes fisherman I certainly agree with using this time to prep for the spring fishery. I have umpteen reels to go though yet and am in the process of putting together 6 new copper line trolling rigs. I still have to finish out swapping out my manual downriggers for the electrics I picked up this fall and put on some new downrigger wire. Then on to sorting out all the spoons, plugs, flashers and flies, tying new leaders.....etc. Lots to do yet.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, that pretty much sums it up, Redneck... Hahahha. I should of set my coffee cup down before reading it........Lol I think it's in March when there is a car show(the old stuff) that me and my daughter like to attend. I'd like to bring mine there sometime, just need an enclosed trailer to keep the ice/snow/salt off her...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I like to visit snow, not live in it.

Dropping down to 72 today.

White Xmas is way overrated. I would prefer it be 70 and sunny out.

Last edited: