Random

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Cool if a person has trouble retrieving their boat. Otherwise, an expensive toy. Which the guy who can't retrieve his boat probably couldn't afford...

Neat vid......

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For the cost of that setup I think I’ll stick to driving on my bunk trailer walking across the bow, jumping on the trailer and winching her on. It takes like 4 minutes. But it is pretty sweet.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
back story to come later, but we picked up three stray kids, and one dog, last week and have been staying with us for a few days. Conversation came up on radio frequencies. I told her she was wrong and explained AM and FM radio waves. She looked at me, dead eye, and said 'dude those are radio stations not frequencies'. I smiled, gave up and kept cooking.

Tnstratofam

Commander
back story to come later, but we picked up three stray kids, and one dog, last week and have been staying with us for a few days. Conversation came up on radio frequencies. I told her she was wrong and explained AM and FM radio waves. She looked at me, dead eye, and said 'dude those are radio stations not frequencies'. I smiled, gave up and kept cooking.

You should have heard the conversation between my step son , the admira,l and myself last night. We had a spirited discussion on the internet and the end of net neutrality. When we started talking to him about it he rolled his eyes and said we didn't understand the internet or technology. I reminded him that my Air Force career was in Satelite Communications and that we were transferring information across fiber optic lines at speeds rivaling today's high speed connections during the late 80's and early 90's

It's funny to me that young people forget our generation and the generations before us invented, perfected, and operate all the technology they take for granted every day.. Oh and I reminded him we all managed to carry out happy and fulfilling lives before Netflix, Amazon, and Google!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ask him to describe an internal combustion engine, including fuel delivery. Then you can roll your eyes at him for his 'ignorance' for a technolgy he uses .....and needs.... every day.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I guess he figures at 19 and with one semester of college behind him he's become all knowing and his mother and I have become knuckle dragging cave dwellers.

scaletowidth

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Tnstratofam

Commander
It really does leave me at a loss for words how some people, especially people under 30, wonder how the world turned before Google!

Watermann I had a conversation with my step son years ago about cellular technology and when it was invented. He was so sure that cell phones only appeared in the 90's. I told him that I had an uncle with a car phone that he used for his business in the 70's when I was a kid.

He said " Where did he have to go and park to plug it up to use it? Was that what payphones were for?"

:facepalm: That was a long talk explaining the way telephones and cell phones worked. When I told him what a party line was, and that you used to have to ask an operator to connect you to the number you wanted to ring it nearly blew his mind.:D

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I remember talking with some hiking friends that were discussing the introduction of portable GPS units for hiking. They complained about loosing map using and other navigation skills to technology. They all were quiet then I reminded them that a compass was modern technology at one time.

I still haven't gotten me one of those GPS hand held units yet but my boat has one.

Don't get me wrong, I like technology but I think that sometimes we forget the building blocks behind it.

dwco5051

Commander
I remember talking with some hiking friends that were discussing the introduction of portable GPS units for hiking. They complained about loosing map using and other navigation skills to technology. They all were quiet then I reminded them that a compass was modern technology at one time.

I still haven't gotten me one of those GPS hand held units yet but my boat has one.

Don't get me wrong, I like technology but I think that sometimes we forget the building blocks behind it.

That?s like the young lad that was walking through a park with his father and he saw a sundial set in a garden area and asked his father what that thing was.

The father explained that you could tell what time it was by where the shadow was on the dial.

?Wow? said the kid, ?what will they think of next.?

Maclin

Admiral
Looks more like a Piranha-scavenged carcass than anything made from metal, much less an outdrive :puke:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
What do u get when u sit on the ice too long??................................................. Polaroids! :)