Random

jbcurt00

Staff member
thanks Joe, glad I ate long before seeing that fish tongue parasite............

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
[h=2]Just making sure everyone is paying attention!

Behavior[edit][/h] C. exigua extracts blood through the claws on its front, causing the tongue to atrophy from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue by attaching its own body to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue. It appears that the parasite does not cause any other damage to the host fish.[SUP][2][/SUP] Once C. exigua replaces the tongue, some feed on the host's blood and many others feed on fish mucus. This is the only known case of a parasite functionally replacing a host organ.[SUP][2][/SUP] When a host fish dies, C. exigua will detach itself from the tongue stub after some time, leave the fish's mouth cavity, and can then be seen clinging to its head or body externally. It is not fully known what then happens to the parasite in the wild.
There are many species of Cymothoa,[SUP][3][/SUP] but only C. exigua is known to consume and replace its host's tongue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
daily-random-funny-2-29-12-picdtures2.jpg.pagespeed.ce.JgcsOIzzkKzNoAs9jlsH.jpg

Volphin

Lieutenant
No Title

Edited per suggestion. Apologies if I offended. :D

Attachments

• photo232389.jpg
    photo232389.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
you've probably figured out I'm a Beaker fan, but this is a new one I just found. It is me; we are one.....

beaker_muppets_panic_freak_out.gif

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha, I always liked Beaker... He is kind of down the lines of Mr Bill getting into such things.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think that's ^^^ been posted before over in the Funny Craigs TLC ads topic.

My Admiral want's a red convertible, but I dont think that's gonna fly w/ her