This silly flu season

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Not to detract from this joyous Holiday season but is there anyone else here suffering from this latest flu? How bad does it get and how long does it seem to last? I'm now going on 3 days! Trying very hard not to let it hamper my spirit.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
3 days is the norm for this one. Then back to work,and force yourself to get back to normal.......

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks grub, been 3 days already and doesn't seem to be letting up. Haven't been able to eat anything solid sense Tuesday morning.

64osby

Admiral
My Mom and MIL both ended up getting type A influenza. Mom did okay with taking Tami flu. MIL ended up in the hospital for 5 days.

Both are 82 years old and live in the same assisted living facility. The facility had over 50 cases of the flu and 3 ended up in the hospital.

Best of luck getting healthy.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks 64, if it's not any better in the morning I will be going to the doc.

ezbtr

Commander
I got my shot a few weeks ago and thak God we are all ok here, what are you suffering from? Squirts, vomiting or what?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I always get the flu shot every year. Although its no guarantee you won't get the flu as there are many strains out there and they can't predict all of them, it's cheap insurance.

And no, you can't get the flu from a flu shot.

If you do get the flu, get tamiflu as quick as you can. It's really only effective if you take it within 48 hours.

Last edited:

satt

Cadet
I always get the flu shot every year. Although its no guarantee you won't get the flu as there are many strains out there and they can't predict all of them, it's cheap insurance.

And no, you can't get the flu from a flu shot.

If you do get the flu, get tamiflu as quick as you can. It's really only effective if you take it within 48 hours.

It doesn't help that they messed up on the flu shot this year and guessed wrong one the strains. I got mine anyway though. :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thank everyone. Of course hindsight is what it is, I didn't get the shot, never have and this is the 1st time I can remember ever getting a flu like illness. And to be honest this is the second time in 2 weeks. It's hit fast and hard. Both times have gone to bed feeling fine only to be awakened a few hours later with terrific stomach cramps, the runs and cold sweats.
No vomiting. The last time I did that it was self induced and even that was many years ago!
Normally while everyone else is having the flu I get head colds which at times leads to upper respiratory infections. So this is all new to me at this late stage in life. Right now my biggest fear is for dehydration seeing as it's been so hard to hold liquids.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bonz_d, have you visited a doctor with it yet? If not, I think it would be a good idea... My grandson came down with it the Sunday before Christmas and yesterday Christmas day he was active but you could tell he didn't have all his strength back yet. Bless his heart he wanted to keep going and enjoy all his Christmas gifts, but would wear out quickly and lay down. And he did go to the ER and was diagnosed with influenza A after they swabbed his nose and given Tamiflu and something for the headaches as well. So it does take time to heal and get feeling better and regain your strength back...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks gm280, feeling a bit better this am. and finally starting to hold water. Cramps have let up and am now going to try some soup and see how that goes.
I guess the fortunate part is this all hit after I was done with work for the past 4 days so I won't miss there but on the other hand it did put a damper on Christmas. I've got the rest of the day to recover and then back to work in the morning. So I'll see how the soup goes.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bonz_d, sure hope you do get feeling better, and soup IS a great way to start back eating food again, especially chicken soup! It is sad that your time off for the Holidays was consumed with fighting the flu though. Don't push the going back to work before you're better. It can get worst if you push the issue. Best wishes for a better tomorrow all the same...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thank everyone. Of course hindsight is what it is, I didn't get the shot, never have and this is the 1st time I can remember ever getting a flu like illness. And to be honest this is the second time in 2 weeks. It's hit fast and hard. Both times have gone to bed feeling fine only to be awakened a few hours later with terrific stomach cramps, the runs and cold sweats.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over not getting a shot. Sounds like they missed it anywway this year.. I believe at best there's a 50/50 chance the shot will work.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Soup sure did taste good! A little crampy about 20 min later but so far seems to be staying put. Not a big soup eater but after nothing for 3 days it really did taste good. Still snuggled up in my blankey, surfing the forum and craigslist looking for deals. Hoping to be able to return to work tomorrow as this is still a new job and I'm not getting paid for the holiday. But if I have to I'll show up and try to make it, if not I'll come home.

Not to concerned about the shot cause I don't trust them anyways and besides I get stuck with needles enough all year long. Can't see how people think being an IV drug user can be fun.

foodfisher

Captain
bonz_d, sure hope you do get feeling better, and soup IS a great way to start back eating food again, especially chicken soup! It is sad that your time off for the Holidays was consumed with fighting the flu though. Don't push the going back to work before you're better. It can get worst if you push the issue. Best wishes for a better tomorrow all the same...

Yep, I tried working through the flu once and got pneumonia for my efforts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not to concerned about the shot cause I don't trust them anyways and besides I get stuck with needles enough all year long. Can't see how people think being an IV drug user can be fun.
Yeah...for me getting the flu is not fun so I always get them. Not sure why you don't trust them, you can't get the flu by taking them.

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
No vomiting. The last time I did that it was self induced and even that was many years ago!
Normally while everyone else is having the flu I get head colds which at times leads to upper respiratory infections. So this is all new to me at this late stage in life. Right now my biggest fear is for dehydration seeing as it's been so hard to hold liquids.
That sounds a lot like food poisoning .
I get the flu shot every year, my wife doesn't, she loves telling me when they didn't get it right.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well after the soup I was pretty good for about an hour then the cramps started again so I called my doctor only to find tat yes this sounds like what's going around. She told me it's lasting from 4 to 7 days and that's before you start feeling better. So last night I was so hungry from not eating I tried some scrambled eggs and a grilled cheese. That lasted almost 2 hours before I was back in the bathroom. No I didn't make it to work this morning and feel like I'm back to were I was 2 days ago!

Bruce the honest truth is I have a phobia with needles. I'd rather be cut than stuck with a needle.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Do not know what I had but it was not enjoyable by any means.
Dehydration is not good, what are they called electrolites????, you need to introduce salts and sugar back into yourself, chicken soup, soda crackers, toast.
easy down easy up