The 'Miracle Flight'

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Don't know if any of you travel to and from Florida on a regular basis (I do from Long Island), but the "Miracle Flight' for seniors is a well-known phenomenon. On my return trip to NY last week, there was the largest number of people being wheelchaired aboard that I've ever experienced. THIRTY-SEVEN poor wheelchair bound souls were pushed aboard before regular boarding (i.e., the rest of us) could commence. When we landed in NY, only NINE needed to wait for wheelchairs to disembark. As I said, it's a miracle cure and happens on every flight.

Seriously, would you fake a disability just to be the first to board an airplane? I asked one of the Southwest Airlines staff why those who need help to board, aren't required to need the same help at the other end. Apparently, the 'Americans With Disabilities Act' prohibits the airlines from placing any such 'restrictions' on travellers. As with everything else, a few inconsiderate slobs make things tougher on those who really need and deserve a little help. They oughta be ashamed of themselves, but of course they never are.

My .02

alldodge

Staff member
When I use to travel I to would see this all the time, never saw that many. Glad I no longer need to travel like I use to

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh man don't get me started. I see so many folks park in handicap places and then get out of their vehicles and run into the store. Now if a person can literally run into a store, why do they need any handicap spot to park? SMH!

However, five years ago I had a hip replacement and turned down a handicap sticker because I didn't want to take a slot for true handicap folks. But I will also say, I had the most helpful folks anybody could even ask for. Folks held doors for me, and even told me to go to the very front of the line at the DMV even after I told them I would be okay waiting my turn. But they all told me to go first. I was using a walker at that time. And folks are really caring I have to witness...

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
I never saw the attraction of boarding early! People just can't wait to get stuffed in like sardines?
I want to be the last one on, slam the door and lets go.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I never saw the attraction of boarding early! People just can't wait to get stuffed in like sardines?
I want to be the last one on, slam the door and lets go.

Southwest doesn't have reserved seating. Early check-in gets you pick of the best seats and overhead storage space. Just really frosted my n**s this time because I'd paid extra for advanced check-in. Doesn't get you much when there're three dozen people (and their traveling companions!) jumping the line ahead of you.

Technically I could get the same consideration (I have emphysema) but geez, I never like to be viewed as 'the sick guy'. Haven't applied for handicap plates, either, though the hike from the parking lot to the store can seem pretty long when I'm having a bad day. Someday I'll need all that help, but not yet. I dunno why anyone would want to be viewed as sick until they really are.

Needed to rant a little...

tpenfield

Staff member
I too have noticed an increase in the number of wheel chair passengers boarding planes. I just wish they would wait until the captain turns off the seatbelt sign before they get up and break-dance in the aisle . . . Very disrespectful of the safety rules :)

At some point the airlines will have to do something about the fakers . . .

I suppose if wheelchair assisted folks were made to board the planes last, then the numbers would be different. :rolleyes:

southkogs

Staff member
Commercial flight has become as much a burden as a blessing - between the airlines trying to figure out how to make money, passengers trying to figure out how to game the system and the TSA trying to keep us from blowing up in the sky, the goat rodeo of airline travel is terrible. For myself, I've just learned stack in plenty of time so I'm never in a hurry. That way it doesn't bother me how the rest of the folks may or may not behave. Though, if I can drive it in 10 hours I'll generally bag flying and drive there.

The converse of this (and a good thing in my opinion) is that chartered private flight is making a comeback. It's starting to be competitive again to hire a small bird to get ya' there. Our company has had two trips this past year where a small chartered airplane would have been as cost effective as all of us buying air fare.

aspeck

Staff member
I used wheelchair assistance once ... when I was flying to Ghana 6 days after hernia surgery. My wife was very forceful in seeing that I requested that service, and it was nice and needed for my flight leaving Philly to JFK and from JFK to Ghana. However, as the 11 hour flight from JFK to Ghana commenced, I actually started feeling better ... it was a miracle flight. I was ready to walk off the plane, but my wife was there, so I had to be a good boy! :yield::moony:

When you need the help it is a blessing. When it is abused, it is a pain for everyone!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm retired now and just glad my flying days are probably over...Yea!!!!!!!! Running through airports to catch a connecting flight that gets canceled only after you get there is not my idea of a good day... Flying in such bad weather the flight attendants strapped themselves in and start praying is also not a good day. And last but certainly not least, in my book anyway, is my severe air sickness that I have to nearly OD on pills to keep everything down, is certainly not a good day either! But everybody have a wonderful Christmas!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm retired now and just glad my flying days are probably over...Yea!!!!!!!! Running through airports to catch a connecting flight that gets canceled only after you get there is not my idea of a good day...

Yeah. I am thinking about retiring too! I don't have to stand in line (mainly because I have a reserved seat all the way up in "front") AND I get to go through the "secret door" and bypass security altogether!

But once I'm "done", I think when travelling time comes around, I'm gonna DRIVE!.........besides, I can't tow my boat behind an airplane, and if I can't take my boat, I don't wanna go!!

southkogs

Staff member
Yeah. I am thinking about retiring too ...
I got to go glider flying a few weeks back and they had a little Stinson just like yours in the hangar. Take your time givin' that thing up ... It's a sharp little airplane.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
HT's vintage Stinson has flown at least one Miracle Flight in my eyes.

angus63

Captain
My best friends Army buddy from Texas drove up to visit friends and family last year at Christmas time. He lost his leg in a motorcycle accident many years ago and walks fairly well with a modern prosthetic leg being he is 6'6" or so and about 270lbs. We went to dinner one evening and since he doesn't drink now, he offered to drive. He has a handicapped permit and we attempted to park in a blue spot but all were taken. After locating a spot many rows away, we parked and walked across the icy lot to eat. As we approached, a twenty something man ran across in front of us and openned his car door in a blue spot and did not have a placard. Ted (Army buddy) turned and walked up to the hood of the car, leaned on the hood, slipped off his leg, and pounded on the hood with his prothesis causing alot of damage in seconds. We were stunned since he really is a gentle giant. The owner jumped out and screamed he was calling the cops. Ted calmly said fine, and I'm calling the news to tell them how you took a spot from a handicapped veteran and forced him to walk across an icy lot. Oh, and you better hope the cop is Mario #$%^&ing Andretti cuz I'm using my leg on you next. The owner hesitated, got back in his car and drove off. Ted turned to us and said Let's Eat!!!
Merry Christmas Ted!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That is sad that a hale and hearty person was to too lazy to use a normal spot. But funny as can be with Ted's actions. Let's Eat! :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, seems he went a little crazy with his ranting. If the person whose car had been deliberately damaged had called the police, your friend would have been charged with the damage for sure... The person parked in the handicap slot would have been ticketed, but your friend could have ended up in jail as well. There are other ways to make your point then get involved with damaging property... JMHO!

angus63

Captain
Ted was not likely interested in what was legal, but he felt he was wronged and attempted to correct it in his own way. I do not endorse vigilante behavior, but I am a fan of firmly swatting arrogance before it spreads. Sometimes "legal" and "right" are not on the same team in my eyes.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was out to SouthWest (Las Vegas, Tucson) over Xmas, flew SouthWest, and this thread confirms a hunch I had. Lots of wheelchairs on both flights, and I remember one guy who looked fine being wheeled on, and I thought that upon landing I saw the same guy at terminal men's room standing at a urinal... If I was positive, I would have loudly confronted him, as it ticks me off....