Winter Solstice

sam60

Captain
I'm glad that the days will start getting longer. Tired of driving to and from work in the dark.

nwcove

Admiral
im with ya sam.....this leaving in the dark , getting home in the dark is painful

dozerII

Admiral
I agree totally, can't wait for the sun to start coming up at 4am again.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'd be happy if we could see the sun one of these days again..........I think we're starting the 3rd week w/o it.....

thumpar

Admiral
It only gets better from here. Well at least until the end of next summer.

QC

Supreme Mariner
I'm no Pagan, but the whole sun cycle thing is super cool to me. For some reason I especially like the Equinoxes (equi? Equini?) Anyway... that 12 and 12 deal, everywhere on the planet, is just a cool fact to me. I always wanted to set a circular stone with a compass laid out on it in the yard, and mark where the sun sets on the Winter and Summer Solstices, and the Equin double duty thing, on the fence, or hillside, etc.. Sort of my own little Stonehenge.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm sure you all know this but it was really driven home to me a few years back. I use to live in Pennsylvania during my very young years. Actually born there. Then our family had to move to Georgia for the rest of my life now. While back a decade or so ago I revisited my old home little town back up there in Pennsylvania. It was at that time I noticed their days were at least 45 minutes shorter then what I was used too here in Georgia. And I actually made comment about it to them. Being so young when we initially moved away, it wasn't a stand out issue to me at that time, but now an older adult, it was amazing to see the difference... Just some useless info...

sam60

Captain
the whole sun cycle thing is super cool to me.

Myself also, QC. I looked at a few areas for the increased length of day for tomorrow.

Here in So. NV tomorrow will be 4seconds longer, where I grew up in NE 5 seconds longer and where my sister lives in ME 6 seconds longer. I need to spend a couple of hours tonight to figure out how to use that time wisely. :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm sure you all know this but it was really driven home to me a few years back. I use to live in Pennsylvania during my very young years. Actually born there. Then our family had to move to Georgia for the rest of my life now. While back a decade or so ago I revisited my old home little town back up there in Pennsylvania. It was at that time I noticed their days were at least 45 minutes shorter then what I was used too here in Georgia. And I actually made comment about it to them. Being so young when we initially moved away, it wasn't a stand out issue to me at that time, but now an older adult, it was amazing to see the difference...
Only during the winter. The days are longer up north in the summer

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Seems like it takes forever in winter to actually notice the longer days. Come on spring time!

QC

Supreme Mariner
I have read a book, outside without light, in the UK after 10:00 PM.

dozerII

Admiral
4:15 am, on the water not a ripple on it, a slight mist hangs over it. The sun is just coming up in a bright red glow on the eastern shore. All the crazy people are asleep, not a sound to be heard, and you feel that tug on the fishing line, COME ON SPRING.

Watermann

4:15 am, on the water not a ripple on it, a slight mist hangs over it. The sun is just coming up in a bright red glow on the eastern shore. All the crazy people are asleep, not a sound to be heard, and you feel that tug on the fishing line, COME ON SPRING.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Seems like it takes forever in winter to actually notice the longer days. Come on spring time!

Like a couple months, at least that's what it seems...... The last couple years we've had snow in May and ice on the lakes for opener....

Nice pic. You're killin' me Smalls........

Last edited:

Watermann

Okay now your just plain hurtin me H20;)

Like a couple months, at least that's what it seems...... The last couple years we've had snow in May and ice on the lakes for opener....

Nice pic. You're killin' me Smalls........

Yeah I feel the torment too. Took the pic first of July on my way out to fish walleye and smallys on one of my favorite lakes, Banks Lake. Was before I restored the Sea Nymph. All of the crazy people were still sleeping. :lol:

aspeck

Staff member
After spending as much time as I do in Ghana, 300 miles north of the equator, I miss the changing of the days. Light from 6am to 6pm EVERYDAY gets boring. There is only about a 20 minute difference in daylight times throughout the year. I like long summer days and short winter days. Guess I am weird, but I like variety!