Sprint will end NASCAR sponsorship in 2016

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sounds to me like the new CEO for Softbank isn't a NASCAR fan....:rolleyes:

thumpar

Admiral
Looks like I will have to switch providers. I went to Sprint because I could get the NASCAR app on my phone. Does anyone have any guesses on who might be the next sponsor? AT&T spends a lot on commercials and on track spots. Maybe they will pick it up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The driver start your engines could done with duck calls. Daffy Duck can be the series mascot!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I never thought about it growing up much. It was always the Winston Cup series, with the Busch series. Both were as southern to me as Mason Dixon. After it became the Nextel/Sprint cup it seemed to lose some of it's southern charm. You know less smokers, and beer drinkers.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It will always be the Winston Cup to me, My wife knows exactly what I am talking about when I mention Winston.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What bugs me is when they say Petty won 200 Sprint Cup races and 7 Sprint Cup championships. He never won a single Sprint race or championship! 140 Grand National race / 3 championships and 60 Winston Cup races and 4 championships. In fact he was retired 8 years before Nextel Cup began, I wish they would refer to past winners as Cup winners or Cup champions. Forgetting 32 years of big money paying sponsorship by Winston during the time when Nascar grew up from Southern grass roots racing to an international racing body is a shame and disgrace in my opinion.

I still call it Winston and Busch. It's going to take a long time to do the mental equation of Xfinity to Nationwide to Busch.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yeah that always bothers me too. Younger generation fans don't connect with the true history of Nascar. It's more statistics, and corporate sponsorships now than I care for. Let the drivers race, beat the doors off of each other for position, and prey their heap makes it across the finish line in the end. That's the kind of racing I like. Of course the series sponsor has little to do with that these days I would imagine.

thumpar

Admiral
I just wish the cars were at least somewhat stock. In there real form all the cars are FWD and have tiny motors. It is funny when they get the Camry as the pace car an there is the NASCAR version of a Camry behind it. It is no longer the days of "win on Sunday, Sell on Monday".