Family Christmas dinner ideas

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Real close to what I got. Bring protective gear - I know we have family fights for the last couple in the dish.
I can't do the herring ... dunno' why but it makes me sick. Dad and Grandma' eat it like candy. Tack bread however ... with the right amount of real butter (roughly a 1/4" coating) ... I can dig into pretty extensively.
I can remember Swedish smorgasbord for all kinds of holiday dinners ...

LOL been trying for years to get my better half to enjoy some herring. it is one of the few fish I eat. one of the very few she won't
she says it's raw and disgusting. LOL

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ooh the jalapeno could add some flair. I did them with a seet and sour type glaze.

skewer and a grill. Then a reduced brown sugar and JD glaze in the crock pot until eatin' time. Cooked slow and completely the bacon stays put when you pull of the skewer into the crock. Have toothpicks next tot he crock.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ ditto - trying to make up an excuse to make Swedish meatballs :D

dozerII

Admiral
Okay if your bacon wrapping things, marinate whole canned water chesnuts in light soy sauce a little Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic and pinch of ginger over night, then wrap them in bacon and grill or bake, then watch them disappear. The Admiral makes them ahead of time in the oven then will just warm them up when needed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
history%20of%20eggnog.jpg

the true history of eggnog

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I know taters are covered, but here's something different enough that you probably wouldn't get in trouble for bringing it and I guarantee it'll become a repeat command performance. The vice admiral made it for Turkey Day and it was the only thing to sell out.

Quantity of all the following is entirely up to you but I'll throw in guidance.

One bag Yukon Golds
One package hog fat
One quart cream
Whole nutmeg
One bunch green onions
Salt and Pepper
One pound shredded sharp cheddar

If you have a Dutch Oven use it. If not a glass baking dish will do.

Chop up bacon and cook til crispy. While that's going peel and slice potatoes around 1/4" thick. When bacon is done remove to a dish and discard grease (unless you want to use it for something else). Cover the bottom of the pan with taters (a little overlap is okay but this is all about layers) then add cream just to barely cover. Season with salt and pepper, grate in fresh nutmeg then scatter in some bacon and green onions. Repeat until you're out of space or bacon then cover the top layer with cheese and another sprinkle of green onions. Bake uncovered at 350 until the cream has been reduced/absorbed. Should take 45 minutes to an hour.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bacon + Bourbon......... sounds like heaven

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sure have been a lot of bacons giving their all for this thread! :biggrin1:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Wifeys going to kick my azz because I just ate half the butter tarts she made up on Monday!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Going with just the bacon wrapped smokies; baked them all last night. Doing an ad hoc sauce; apricot jam, brown sugar, grainy mustard, and jack daniels. On the stove now might add a few cloves garlic depending on how it tastes.