Gas Inside $2 Gallon

tpenfield

Staff member
$2.59 at the local Cumberland Farms fill-up. Some pockets of lower prices elsewhere. I am just wondering if the price dip will hold out very long (usually price swings do not last long).

dozerII

Admiral
$2.59 at the local Cumberland Farms fill-up. Some pockets of lower prices elsewhere. I am just wondering if the price dip will hold out very long (usually price swings do not last long).

Oh ya it's going to hold for a while, with oil projected to go into the mid $40. a barrel. The 1st and 2nd quarter next year are going to be tough for anyone employed in the drilling or production of crude.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
It will be interesting to see the global impact from this. The Saudis are flexing their muscle, they have not been happy with Putin lately and they have backed him into a corner big time, a large part of Russia's income is from oil and that just went away. Iran is hurting big time also, I'm sure the Saudis are OK with that. Venezuela will probably default on it's debts, they are an OPEC member but the Saudi's seem willing to throw them under the bus.
I talked to a friend in Haines Alaska yesterday, gas- $4.43 a gallon. $1.99 @ Costco in Phoenix yesterday morning.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This is a col site although I see gasoline less where I am when you drill down into the prices by metro areas.
http://fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/todays-gas-prices/

I use an app on my phone called GasBuddy. It's pretty useful for when you travel. They have also updated it to show the credit prices. I always use my credit cards since I get 4% to 5% back.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/

I had actually forgotten how low gasoline prices were in 2008 for awhile
http://www.GasBuddy.com/gb_retail_p...verage&city2=&city3=&crude=n&tme=120&units=us

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
I find it interesting that fuel prices are $2.69 - $2.75 a gallon here and in the larger populated areas to the north of us (State College and Altoona), but you go 60 miles south east and they are paying $2.45 - $2.55 per gallon. Why does 60 miles in the same state in a less populated area cause petrol prices to be $0.20 - $0.25 per gallon less? Never could figure it out ...

salty87

Commander
I find it interesting that fuel prices are $2.69 - $2.75 a gallon here and in the larger populated areas to the north of us (State College and Altoona), but you go 60 miles south east and they are paying $2.45 - $2.55 per gallon. Why does 60 miles in the same state in a less populated area cause petrol prices to be $0.20 - $0.25 per gallon less? Never could figure it out ...

Same thing around central TX. I gas up in the boonies, was $2.15 this morning. In town it's more like $2.25-$2.35.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Why does 60 miles in the same state in a less populated area cause petrol prices to be $0.20 - $0.25 per gallon less? Never could figure it out ...
My bet is that it's just the localized competition that sets the prices. I am going up to my house in Tahoe right after Xmas and looked up the prices up there. They are $0.10 lower there than where I am right now and they are normally higher up there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My bet is that it's just the localized competition that sets the prices. I am going up to my house in Tahoe right after Xmas and looked up the prices up there. They are $0.10 lower there than where I am right now and they are normally higher up there.

Absolutely right, When I managed a convenience store, we did gas surveys twice a day and corporate would send new prices based on the surrounding prices.

Gas in downtown Atlanta, 30 miles away, is 50 cents higher than my local prices. If I go north toward Tenn on I75, the drop is staggering because Tenn has lower taxes and the border stations are competing for the travelers gas money.

southkogs

Staff member
... If I go north toward Tenn on I75, the drop is staggering because Tenn has lower taxes and the border stations are competing for the travelers gas money.
If ya' head South outta' TN and need gas the price increase is even more staggering!!

My family was down from Michigan a couple weeks back and they were amazed at the price difference. Probably would have had a hard time believing me if I just told 'em over the phone.

GA_Boater

Depends on your point of view, Kogs. :rolleyes:

Another good one is heading north to South Carolina. SC is usually in the top (bottom?) five of national prices. Tenn is a top 10.

aspeck

Staff member

I also find it interesting that it is the same "chain" (chain owned and operated) that is the cheapest price in these places, but the price varies so much. Definitely what the market CAN do.

GA_Boater

The convenience store I mentioned earlier is a large chain. Another large chain store was about a mile and a half away and we matched prices. My chain had another store less than 2 miles away and one more 2 miles from the middle one. The gas for all three of these stores came out of the same tanker!

The other two stores had higher prices because they didn't have a low price competitor in their survey area.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely right, When I managed a convenience store, we did gas surveys twice a day and corporate would send new prices based on the surrounding prices.

Yep I did the same once on my way in and once as I left for the day and that was almost 30 years ago - still happening.

southkogs

Staff member
Depends on your point of view, Kogs. :rolleyes:
LOL ... actually y'all aren't too bad comparatively. I wind up driving North as often as I do South ... Illinois and Michigan are a lot more painful!

It'll be interesting to see this all play out. I feel like the market has some wheels it hasn't had for a while, and I kinda' like that.

bassman284

Commander
The convenience store I mentioned earlier is a large chain. Another large chain store was about a mile and a half away and we matched prices. My chain had another store less than 2 miles away and one more 2 miles from the middle one. The gas for all three of these stores came out of the same tanker!

The other two stores had higher prices because they didn't have a low price competitor in their survey area.
Around here (North Liberty, IA) gas gets cheaper the farther you get away from the pipeline terminal. Right now I can drive about 20 miles north of here to Cedar Rapids and save 25 cents/gallon at a Casey's that is 20 miles farther from the pipeline than the two here in town. The $0.25 is a somewhat larger than normal spread, but it has always been .05 to .10 cheaper in CR as long as I have been paying attention. This chain is big enough to own their own tanker fleet.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Here in North East Tn we are still seeing gas between 2.30 and 2.40 per gallon. Just north of us in Va it's about the same. South if us in Nc I think they're a little higher. In Bristol gas stays very close in price whether you're on the Tn or Va side even though the taxes are different between the two states. Generally we have lower prices here than middle and west Tn have. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining.

64osby

Admiral
Michigan prices usually are higher than surrounding states. This week I filled up the Suburban for $2.15/g. The 42 gallon tank doesn't hurt as much now. Filled up my wagon yesterday for $2.11/g.

Sure helps my wallet.