Gas Inside $2 Gallon

Tnstratofam

Commander
Now that it's been moved I'm gonna grab a small bag of popcorn for the coming onslaught of arguing I perceive:rant: It will be a small bag because despite us trying to be on our best behavior, I'm not sure we can.:heh:

:pop2:.

roffey

Commander
I don't think this has to be an argument but it makes for an interesting discussion. When OPEC floods the market with cheep oil it drives the price of gas down. For most this is good as we all save money. For those in the oil business it bad as they can not process oil and make prophet (like they used to) and will likely have to stop production if it goes down to low, people in the oil field will lose jobs, housing markets will tank and the dollar goes down. OPEC has said they can still make a profit at $24 per barrel while over here we need (I think $60) Any one who has money invested in mutual funds, Oil, Banks...... will have lost cash this last week and a lot of it.

It would be nice to meet some where in the middle

sam60

Captain
I've driven 60 miles each way to work and back for the last 21 years. Lower fuel costs helps me pay down debt, which improves my economy. I still buy oil, filters & tires.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now that it's been moved I'm gonna grab a small bag of popcorn for the coming onslaught of arguing I perceive:rant: It will be a small bag because despite us trying to be on our best behavior, I'm not sure we can.:heh:

:pop2:.

TN - It makes no difference where it is. The same members see the thread and if it gets closed it's because of...Well, you know. On occasions we do surprise ourselves. Save the popcorn for the movies. Unless it's extra butter, then pass some my way. :D

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We are down to $2.59 as of yesterday, not going to complain, but man I would love to see it keep going down, but, that said, I personally know a lot of people that are working in eastern Montana and Western Dakotas that are hoping it does not go much lower, there are a lot of my friends working the oil fields right now!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Filled up my work van this afternoon. We are paying $2.36 per gallon. For regular unleaded. Not many marinas open this time of year so I don't know what their charging at the dock. Most of the time they're .60 cents to a dollar higher.

southkogs

Staff member
I've been telling the Admiral that we're getting close to when I have to stop griping about gas prices.

I've had it in my head for years (wether correct or not) that $2/gal seemed reasonable against inflation. We're pretty close to that now in Tennessee. If I've gotta' spend $2 - $2.50 gallon for gas to keep domestic oil flowing, I'd probably be okay with that.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Just filled up with regular unleaded for $2.19 a gallon. Down over $1.30 a gal. from less than 90 days ago.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If the amount that my 401k went down the last month is due to lower oil prices, the amount I am saving in gasoline would take me 20 years to recover.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just paid $2.54 a gallon this afternoon, yesterday when I was in town, it was $2.59 so it is dropping quickly around here.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Taking into account your gallon being smaller to the tune of 3.78 liters vs our gallon at 4.5 liters (usa gallon vs imperial) id pay u.s. 419 for your gallon or do as I do and take the 5 minutes to go to the U.S.A.. and pay 2.78 right now in Soo Michigan ..It still pays to do this even concidering toll and discount on our money.Plus I usually hit the grocery store for certain items that I know are way cheaper on the U.S.A. side such as chicken and my addiction which is glory mustard greens(canned) and collard greens,neither of which I can get in Canada.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I wish the diesel differential would fall as fast. $3.19 yesterday on 28 gallons. Much better but still....

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
So far, and this story has yet to be fully played, biggest winners are the consumer and this board as a whole, biggest loser appears to be Russia.

Lower cost and breaking dependency are just some of the long-term benefits of alternative and home-sourced petro. Dino is finite, US production will ebb and flow with cyclical imbalances in supply and demand.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
How much gasoline does the United States consume?

In 2013, about 134.51 billion gallons[SUP]1[/SUP] (or 3.20 billion barrels) of gasoline were consumed[SUP]2[/SUP] in the United States, a daily average of about 368.51 million gallons (or 8.77 million barrels). This was about 6% less than the record high of about 142.35 billion gallons (or 3.39 billion barrels) consumed in 2007.
[SUP]1[/SUP]There are 42 U.S. gallons in a barrel.
[SUP]2[/SUP]EIA uses Product Supplied to approximately represent consumption of petroleum products. It measures the disappearance of these products from primary sources, such as refineries, natural gas processing plants, blending plants, pipelines, and bulk terminals.

That equates to about 700 million a day going directly back into our econ....that's stimulating

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
from my buddy on another forum. Memphis.

1012939_10202206870651930_2917835169412965685_n_zps0ec1cc37.jpg

I left (TN) on Tuesday filled up at $3.19 and now $3 flat. In three days.

Thalasso

Commander
$2.75 here
Diesel is $3.45. But of course we have the third highest gas tax in the nation.