Gas Inside $2 Gallon

roffey

Commander
Only problem it's killing the economy. I think that's what OPEC its trying to do. From what I under stand they can go as low as $24 per barrel and still make money. We on the other hand will lose our shirts.... time will tell.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
But the people who live on a fixed income will be a bit better off, the oil companys have been hosing the economy for years.

roffey

Commander
I agree there is always a bright side. From what the new reports OPEC has a glut of oil from where they were driving the price up so this may be here longer than shorter.

nwcove

Admiral
Only problem it's killing the economy. I think that's what OPEC its trying to do. From what I under stand they can go as low as $24 per barrel and still make money. We on the other hand will lose our shirts.... time will tell.

i personally think the lower fuel prices help drive the economy......more expendable income for consumers is never a bad thing for vendors.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i personally think the lower fuel prices help drive the economy......more expendable income for consumers is never a bad thing for vendors.

As do I. The retailers don't lower prices when transportation costs drop, but the consumer has more income to spend. I filled up for 44 bucks yesterday, opposed to 60-70 bucks just a few months ago. That's 20-25 dollars to spend on something other than gas. I'll take it!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I drive a service van for my job. I average 2 - 3 tanks a week with our customer area. Our company fields 4 service vans and one sales truck. It had taken $93.00 per vehicle to fill them up. Now it's around $60-$70 per fill up. Now when our fuel costs are down it allows us to give a little more break in pricing to our customers. This time of year with the holidays, and peoples utilities being hire that can be a welcome break. I know not all companies do this or can do this, but we're able to because we're small, and the owners are workers as well. So we welcome lower gas prices to a point. If it is at the expense of an entire industries stability, and or if it is to weaken another countries economy then it should give us all pause.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I drive a service van for my job. I average 2 - 3 tanks a week with our customer area. Our company fields 4 service vans and one sales truck. It had taken $93.00 per vehicle to fill them up. Now it's around $60-$70 per fill up. Now when our fuel costs are down it allows us to give a little more break in pricing to our customers. This time of year with the holidays, and peoples utilities being hire that can be a welcome break. I know not all companies do this or can do this, but we're able to because we're small, and the owners are workers as well. So we welcome lower gas prices to a point. If it is at the expense of an entire industries stability, and or if it is to weaken another countries economy then it should give us all pause.

Undoubtedly correct the US was dramatically weakend in 2006-2012...Now Russia Iran Venezuela and Nigeria to name a few of the delightful darlin's are feeling a bit of the pinch.....Take's a pause........yep thing's are good.

Actually time for this old man to bow out.....:croc:

Last edited:

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe people will consider boating a possibility again. In the world of boat sales high fuel costs have destroyed the economy as people place their money in their tank. Boaters who trailer own drive trucks that burn more fuel because they need a tow vehicle. Large boat sales are the lowest in 30 years as the material costs (fiberglass boats are made from petroleum products) are out of site. How can a family of 4 afford $100k for an inboard ski boat or $500k for a 36 foot motor yacht. not to mention the fuel. I am tired of being ripped off by oil speculators in the stock market.(yes my 401k money is there too) I am overjoyed that I can afford a 200 mile boat vacation my fuel cost last year for the trip was $800 maybe this year only $550. The boating industry has been hit hard by the economy which runs on the cost of energy. Maybe many of those who lost their homes and jobs could have kept them if energy costs did not double.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just you wait....already talking about a serious raise in the fed and state fuels tax. They will raise the tax now so no one will notice that much then.....after the economy picks back up and gets rolling then BAM gas will go back up. Just another gov't ploy to make things appear greater than they really are..

Airshot

tpenfield

Staff member
Oh . . . I am so glad I did not fill my tank at $3.50 a gallon before winter set in :D

I do find it interesting about the economic 'warfare' going on between OPEC oil and the fracking oil. Not sure who will win . . .

HAve the lower fuel prices made it to the marina pumps? at least to the ones in the areas where they are still open? :noidea:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fair warning - no mention of government please. It smacks of a forbidden subject. Can't we just have civil, non-prejudicial discussion? Enjoy the lower fuel prices as long as they last.

The article that was linked to in the first post is all wet.... that source is nowhere near to being a reliable news source, it's an opinion site. The facts are that the US has increased oil production by over 50 percent in the last 5 or 6 years, we're the largest oil producer in the world. Anything that Saudi Arabia could do to dump more oil on the world market to drop prices wouldn't amount to squat. Furthermore, demand for oil has been dropping for several reasons including the sluggish European economy as well as increasing use of renewable and alternative energy. And yes, it's making my boating more affordable.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Undoubtedly correct the US was dramatically weakend in 2006-2012...Now Russia Iran Venezuela and Nigeria to name a few of the delightful darlin's are feeling a bit of the pinch.....Take's a pause........yep thing's are good.

Actually time for this old man to bow out.....:croc:

second

tpenfield

Staff member
. . . 2 . . . . 1 . . .

Fear not !!! Folks in Florida can still grab a gallon of gas for about $4.50 at the marina pumps :eek: