Orion Space Craft Launch . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
Not sure how many folks here followed the launch of the Orion space craft on its test 'flight' the other day. The Admiral and I visited the Kennedy Space Center in October and the tour guides talked a lot about it, but it sort of slipped my mind this past last week . . only reminded of it when I watched the news Friday night.

I think it is interesting that NASA is returning to the 'capsule' approach to space vehicles, similar to, but vastly more sophisticated than the Apollo program. I can't imagine that we will see the feverous pace of the Gemini and Apollo programs, but it is sure nice to have NASA 'back in the game' so-to-speak.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
For some of us closer to 55+ year old much of the space launch stuff has lost it's excitement. It has become just passing news.

I agree that the capsule approach is better since they can eliminate a pilot on board but, LOL I bet we don't get the media coverage similar to the 60's which involved everyone.

Thinking aboout it...... I do miss the old space race days.

Yes, NASA is back!

southkogs

Staff member
I like the wider playing field that private space flight has now established. Even with Virgin's recent tragedy, people have gotten adventurous in space exploration again. I think that helped kick NASA back into play a little.

I recall very little of the Apollo program (too young), but knew it inside and out (have met a couple of the astronauts). I watched the shuttle program from start to finish and still get amped lookin' over the stuff.

I'd get charged about a run to the moon again, let alone Mars.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
",,,,you're one steely eyed missile man"

I want to see in person the liftoff of a big one, like the size of an Apollo with the Saturn V's.

Last edited: