Winter getaway...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
HI guys. I'm contemplating gathering up the lady and flying somewhere south and warm for a few days in January. Not 62 or 64 degrees warm (New Orleans or San Antonio), but 75 or 77 degrees warm...! Want to go somewhere that provides some attractions close enough to walk to/from a hotel (or at least a modest cab ride). Looking for maybe four days/nights.

So far, the only thing I've come up with is Key West. I'm looking for recommendations and figure this is the place, and you're the people...!

Thanks in advance.

robert graham

Admiral
Key West would be a great choice, without going offshore like Nassau or similar....lots to see and do in Key West....

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check out rocky point in Mexico. Not sure if ya can fly there but like a 4 hour drive from Phoenix

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check out rocky point in Mexico. Not sure if ya can fly there but like a 4 hour drive from Phoenix

Take a bullet proof jacket with you.

We had a service engineers stopped on his way from San Antonio to Monterrey. Pulled from his car, robbed, shot and left on the side of the road for dead.

I've traveled extensively in SA with our agent based in Mexico. Some of the places we traveled he said where not bad had me looking over my shoulder the entire time. Bogata and Caracas where down right scary. When he tells me he is scared to travel in Mexico, that's saying something....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Marathon key has a bunch of things to do, and its about half the cost of key west.

there is always Sanibel and Captiva.

aspeck

Staff member
Sanibel, Fort Myers, Ft Lauderdale (you can take the water taxi where you want to go), West Palm Beach are a few of our favorite "warm" places.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Someday I want to go to Austin just to see the music scene,......

And it's warmer there than here in the winter,...

ezbtr

Commander
watch San Antonio, it "looks" nice but is ghetto ALL around

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
We like Orlando. We usually go in late Feb early March. Close enough to Daytona to enjoy the 3 weeks in Feb but far enough from the daytime madness to get a good night sleep. Daytona has Speed week, bike week and spring break(not sure about the order). Also lots to see and do in Orlando too. Shopping for the admiral, decent restaurants, loads of attractions there, more than just the Disney parks. And we found that for our usual 2 week trip it's cheaper to rent a car than to take a taxi once a day.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Naples FL. close enough to FT Myers and Marco Island. nice shopping area on Fifth, great restaurants, fun little marina with shops restaurant, (tin City), go to ft myers and take a little fishing cruise. very inexpensive on the larger group boats.
highly recommend the Isle of Capri restaurant but get there early.

you can do the beaches at Bonta Springs for smaller crowds, or ft myers for big crowds with lots to do. I think the beach in Naples was prob the easiest to get onto.

we spend many winters there. if you want a side trip, take the wife to Palm Beach for shopping. Stubbs and Wooten slippers are popular with the gals but be prepared for some serious sticker shock.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I should prob have inquired about your age first. If you are younger, trendier, more active. I would go to Orlando area. Many fests downtown that include free drinks. Short ride to Cocoa Beach for kayaking, surfing, beaching or chilling on the pier with a cold one.

Daytona beach is fun, go drive on it. beware the tide though. Kissimmee has a car show every wed night in OldTown, small amusement style rides for kids. etc.

out to Apopka to go to the springs and do snorkeling.

fantastic dining opportunities in Orlando.
go to Capone's for dinner and a show. free drinks all night.

Find a Total Wine store and you get samples of lots of good spirits and can purchase almost anything you can think of.