Something To Think About

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to admit I'm not one of them. When I retired, I left all those things at the office and moved on without the electronics. I hate when the phone rings. So I fill my time with real world building things and doing things instead of social networking. There are only so many days in any person's life. How you fill those days is the difference! Construction is so much better then destruction and time is not measured in how many emails, texts you make, but how many productive things you make!

Tnstratofam

Commander
What a wonderful world it would be if just every now and then we all unplugged! Just like I'm going to right after I post this.:)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If it wasn't for being "plugged in", I would have sat in an office 9am-5pm wasting thousands of hours over the past 12 years.
Not only did I fish an average 2-3 days week while the rest of you worked, I was home when the kids left for school in the morning and more often than not, I was home when they got off the bus in the afternoon. Both kids are in college now. I wouldn't exchange the time I got to spend with them growing up for nothing.

"Plugged in" also allows me to be in two or more places at a time.
Back in September, I was in Taiwan for two weeks of meeting. That same week, my grandson started his first game as high school quarterback Thanks to the wonders of technology, this proud Grandpa was able to sit in his hotel room 10,000 miles away and watch his grandson take his first snaps.

Another example...two weeks ago, working on the hydraulics on the tractor. I needed to adjust the leakage on the 3 point. Instead of getting out from under the tractor and walking 100 yards to the house, I simply goggled the situation and up popped an exploded view of the assembly along with the adjustment information I was seeking. Took a trip and never left the farm.......:)

I have absolutely no desire to retire and retreat from life. They will probably bury me with my laptop hanging from one shoulder and my cell in my pocket......lol

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
When i retired several years ago, i decided to go out for a few hours and fish and after 5 plus calls in a hour i dropped my cell over the side.