If it is not one darn thing it is another....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I give up, I am going shopping for my Christmas present, I am going to buy a bulldozer in the next couple of weeks, I worked all summer long to make sure my plow and truck were ready and first time out, broke a damn pivot pin, which I can order, and get in 2 weeks, or I can have made and pay twice the price, so the heck with it, I am buying a bulldozer and not worry about it any longer.! Talk about frustration!

Last edited by a moderator:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have three trucks, but only one of them have a plow on it, one is 2WD, nope, ready to buy a bulldozer! Will make a heck of a Christmas!

:laugh:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Talk about a Christmas pressie! When a D9 just won't do, there is always the D11 weighing in at a svelte 229,848 pounds! You can move the snow to Los Angeles with this one. Or the neighbor's yard. :lol:

C811306

alldodge

Staff member
I give up, I am going shopping for my Christmas present, I am going to buy a bulldozer in the next couple of weeks, I worked all summer long to make sure my plow and truck were ready and first time out, broke a dang pivot pin, which I can order, and get in 2 weeks, or I can have made and pay twice the price, so the heck with it, I am buying a bulldozer and not worry about it any longer.! Talk about frustration!

If you have a steel supply shop and a welder, make one your self. Can the one you have be fixed even temporarily by a welding shop?

thumpar

Admiral
If you don't have the tools to make it yourself you might check with some of the guys at a local welding supply shop. I have a guy that worked at biggest welding supply shop do work like that for me in the off hours. He extended the removable tongue on the boat trailer 3' so I could get deep enough in the water. One day the wheel mount fell off my lawn mower. A few hours later it was fixed and the payment was in beer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Oh, I have the equipment to fix it, it is really a pretty simple fix, 10" long 1 inch round stock and 2 quarter inch holes, a couple of new lynch pins and it will be good to go, but man, I am pushing for a new toy for Christmas!

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I get ya. Kind of like when I have an extra part for an AR and have to build another one around it. Any excuse for a new toy. :)

nwcove

Admiral
Talk about a Christmas pressie! When a D9 just won't do, there is always the D11 weighing in at a svelte 229,848 pounds! You can move the snow to Los Angeles with this one. Or the neighbor's yard. :lol:

C811306

Is that 229,848 lbs a dry weight??:lol:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
That D11 is what my cousin operates to load boats on the Great Lakes. Very impressive machine.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I was in northern Alberta I used to work around these machines(d11 dozers). There are also Komatsu D375. It is just as big and powerful. The mine I was in had some huge equipment, even after 15yrs up there I never got over the scale of the equipment.

But, as to MT's problem, why not get a skid steer(bobcat). Up here a good used one is pretty cheap. Roughly the same price as a half decent used car. There are also lots of attachments for them so they can be used as more than just a plow. I think the only attachment I haven't seen is a mower deck. But the have lots of other things, snow blowers, buckets, pallet forks, sweepers, spreaders for fertilizer/ pesticides, post hole diggers, even wood chippers.

Just some food for thought...

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If you do get a bull dozer "Get Ice Grousers"

While you would think they have lots of grip, nope!
They are a toboggan waiting to happen once they hit ice.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Nothing wrong with wanting/getting a bulldozer.....except if you are thinking that the maintenance will be a lot less than a truck.... :eek:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I'll second the Bobcat. If you get a steel tracked cat on an icy sidehill be prepared for a heck of a ride----- sideways!! Also those steel tracks won't grip frozen ground as good as rubber tires.
Mike

dwco5051

Commander
I use a skidsteer for my lane which has some fairly steep parts and it does a pretty decent job with no chains and just a material bucket. Have plowed it with the JD-450E loader that has the grousers worn to almost nothing and that can get pretty exciting at times. We have a little less than a mile of private gravel road with six homes on it. The average lane to each house is about 3 or 400 yards and us men folks have often discussed about getting a used grader for snow removal and road maintenance. We just have to wait for one of us to get divorced so we will have a place to store it when not in use.