anyone into pressure canning food?

nwcove

Admiral
santa is bringing me a pressure canner/cooker.......anyone use one of these things on a regular basis for preserving food or cooking meals?.....or will it most likely end up taking up space in a closet ???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
My grandmother, mother, and sister all use theirs quite a bit for canning.
On a limited basis for cooking.

Grandmother canned a lot of chicken, beef, and veggies.
Mom, mostly veggies.
Sister, all the wild game that her husband kills.

nwcove

Admiral
my " want" for a pressure canner came from tasting venison ( moose meat) that was pressure canned. it was amazing! no fancy spices just salt, no complicated procedure..just old school work to do it. just hope this thing doesnt take its dust collecting spot beside the bread maker etc. lol

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
My better half cans lots of veggies. Don't go into it blind, know what your doing.
Mike

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We have done a lot of canning in the past, now the pressure cooker takes up a lot of space due to advancements in preservation techniques, make sure you read before using it, to understand the process, if you don't know what you are doing, you can blow your kitchen up and don't ask me how I know, I had a mess Sargent in the Army injure 2 privates and put them in the hospital for a week with a pressure cooker!

Tnstratofam

Commander
We canned all kinds of things growing up. Now my wife and I can green beans, tomatoes, and peppers. We have a canner that will do 4 quarts at a time. We also have a pressure cooker that we use for faster cooking of meats and vegetables. We have been raising a garden now for about three years and have canned or frozen vegetables each year. We love it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
As a kid we used a preasure cooker to cook veg and fruit for canning, as a soldier we used it to cook all our rations.
Great for fast ribs, the fast slow cooker.

But be aware of the BOOM factor!

It is a great tool, learn to run it safely.

nwcove

Admiral
good info guys....i opened my santa gift looking for the instructions and recipe book.....but the instructions for opening the lid must be inside the unit !! lol