Happy Thanksgiving?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Glad I moved from MO - didn't realize how bad I felt....

thanksgiving-map2.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thanksgiving is the time of year when Americans gather together to give thanks, and also to argue politics, yell at the TV, listen to that drunk uncle slander whole ethnic groups, and fight their neighbors in Wal-Mart parking lots during Black Friday sales. Thanksgiving can be a miserable day, which made Estately wonder if there were states where conditions on the ground increased the likelihood of a terrible Thanksgiving. We crunched the numbers using the six criteria below to determine if the state you live in is prime habitat for a downer of a Thanksgiving.

1. Likelihood of a family food poisoning episode

-Most cases of salmonella per capita derived from poultry in the past five years (CDC)

2. Likelihood of relatives getting drunk and making a scene

-Prevalence of binge drinking among adults per capita (CDC)

3. Likelihood of political arguments

-States with most even split between democratic and republican voters (2012 Presidential election results)

4. Dietary restrictions impacting meal quality

-States with highest rates of diabetes (CDC) and highest percentage of vegetarians/vegans (Facebook user data)

5. Likelihood of favorite NFL team losing on Thanksgiving

-Losing percentage for Thanksgiving Day games of residents’ favorite teams(s)—(National Football League, Facebook)

6. Likelihood of guests/cooks abandoning meal to shop a Black Friday sale

-Percentage of Facebook users expressing interest in Black Friday sales—(Facebook user data)

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
That's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. Thanksgiving has become very routine (boring?) for the group we get together with. We could use some contentious political discussions and drunk uncles to spice things up a bit.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. Thanksgiving has become very routine (boring?) for the group we get together with. We could use some contentious political discussions and drunk uncles to spice things up a bit.

:D

the best one's I've had since moving to TN about 8 years ago is at one (of three) brother in laws. We set in the barn, far away from the house, and drink beer and lie to each other and tell jokes and fry turkey and (for snacking) chicken wings which we don't share or sometimes crappie. And it keeps us away from the others, tho they do wander out a couple times to pretend to be interested they don't stay long and go back in and bore each other.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Hey I've got a drunk uncle or two as well as some a couple of sticky finger brother in laws I can loan out to anyone who wants a spicy Thanksgiving. Sorry they're already booked for Christmas!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Thanksgiving used to be boring until I started bringing fireworks. All fruit must DIE!