How are we supposed to get snow ???

tpenfield

Staff member
I know the weather services have sophisticated computer models that predict storms with good accuracy, BUT . . . this prediction on Winter Storm 'Cato' has me wondering. . .

- In the Boston and Central/Eastern Mass area it has been in the 50's and 60's for the past 2 days
- Overnight temps are supposed to be in the mid 30's to low 40's
- It is not supposed to get to freezing temps before dark tomorrow in most areas (Wed before Thanksgiving)

Yet thru all this we are supposed to get a significant winter storm during the day with accumulation predictions 6" and up ???

Usually, here in New England we get dumped on when cold air is in place and a storm forms off the coast in the mid-atlantic area. However, this time, cold air does not seem to be in place and the ground certainly is not cold enough to support an accumulation of snow :noidea:

I guess we wait and see on this one . . . :rolleyes:

I am wondering if the Buffalo blizzard has gotten the weather folks all hyped up :noidea:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The Weather Channel reads the Old Farmers Almanac and have a meeting to name the next winter storm. The "D" storm should be named "Dummy"

nwcove

Admiral
hearing a major rain event for my locale from the same system

nlain

Commander
We in the South are flooding in the low lying areas and we are sending this stuff North to you where it wil turn to SNOW.l

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
wny-lake-effect-snow-totals-21nov14.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I can't wait for the springtime de-winterizing threads. And Winter isn't even here yet! :yield:;)

tpenfield

Staff member
Snow accumulation forecasts for the area have been lowered throughout the day (yesterday) and into this morning. I guess the computer models figured out that it probably will rain until the temperatures gets closer to freezing.

Monday and Tuesday of this week, some people were walking around in shorts and t-shirts it was so warm . . . :rolleyes:

I should still see if the snow blower will fire up, just in case. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Got about an inch or two of 'slush' . . . . :rolleyes: a bit more in the north and western areas of the state and into NH.

aspeck

Staff member
We ended up with 6 inches of white stuff, but roads remained fairly clear ... Only about 1/2 dozen accident calls today.

tpenfield

Staff member
About 3 inches of heavy/wet snow total (versus the 6-10" hyped) as of this morning. Pittsfield, MA area got the prize at 11-13" of snow . . . Worcester, MA was in the 5-7" range , I believe. Cape Cod got a lot of rain/wind, so hopefully the boat tarp and frame held out. I'll see next weekend when I go to visit and finish up a few things with the boat.

I went out early AM to snow blow the driveway, but my 30 year old Toro snowblower S-T-B :rolleyes: :facepalm: So, the driveway is left as is. Had to head out early to make it to my FIL's place in VT by mid-morning. We (mostly me) are watching football, drinking the beer and cooking Thanksgiving dinner (mostly the Admiral doing that work).

As far as the snow blower . . . It seems like the auger clutch mechanism finally gave out and won't disengage. So, it looks like I will be looking to get a new one on Black Friday.

I've been eye-balling the Troy-Bilt 2410 as a replacement for my 1984 Toro 524 . . . Any thoughts from the Forum membership ???

I have been buying Troy-Bilt over the past few years with good results . . . have a lawn mower and a leaf vacuum and both are good machines.

Toro is a $200 premuim over the Troy-Bilt. The Troy-Bilt does have electric start, but few other frills (kind of like my old Toro). The driveway is fairly small . . . can only jam 4 cars in it . . . so it is about 20' x 30'

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Between 7 am and 11 am yesterday we got a foot of wet snow, this on top of the 4 inches we got the day before.
Now it is 4C or about 38f+- and saturday its supposed to go deep into the minuses- arctic express on its way.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
We had an unusual storm come through a couple of days ago. Full on electrical storm, thunder, lightning, lots of rain, some hail. Further north, about a hundred miles,a small tornado went through and flattened houses, caravans and uprooted trees. But it was still quite warm,34C (95F)....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Between 7 am and 11 am yesterday we got a foot of wet snow, this on top of the 4 inches we got the day before.
Now it is 4C or about 38f+- and saturday its supposed to go deep into the minuses- arctic express on its way.

We didn't even hit 10 F today. At least it's sunny......

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Well, I bought the new snow blower, just didn't want to fix the old one. . . maybe as a project someday ::rolleyes:

The new one (Troy-Bilt 2410) seems to do OK. Of course what little snow we got on Wednesday had all turned to hard-pack, so the new machine got a bit of a workout :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Well, I bought the new snow blower, just didn't want to fix the old one. . . maybe as a project someday ::rolleyes:

The new one (Troy-Bilt 2410) seems to do OK. Of course what little snow we got on Wednesday had all turned to hard-pack, so the new machine got a bit of a workout :)

Well, I certainly got my answer to "how are we supposed to get snow" this winter, as "Boston Snowmaggedon 2015" continues.

It is a good thing that I bought the snow blower on Black Friday. I was thinking that I would make it through the season on the 'break-in oil' . . . probably got to change it at this point.

Here is a little video of a couple of swipes on the driveway - 14" of fresh powder snow . . .

The challenge for this winter is to be able to throw the snow far enough. This machine does not do quite as well as my old Toro 521, but I have seen online where you can make a slight modification to the impeller and get more distance of 'throw'.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I certainly got my answer to "how are we supposed to get snow" this winter, as "Boston Snowmaggedon 2015" continues.

It is a good thing that I bought the snow blower on Black Friday. I was thinking that I would make it through the season on the 'break-in oil' . . . probably got to change it at this point.

Here is a little video of a couple of swipes on the driveway - 14" of fresh powder snow . . .

The challenge for this winter is to be able to throw the snow far enough. This machine does not do quite as well as my old Toro 521, but I have seen online where you can make a slight modification to the impeller and get more distance of 'throw'.

Just a thought - I put synthetic oil in my blower - doesn't take much oil, so why not? Clearly better oil....

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, just changed it in the hour or so since I posted. Should be better for the high loads digging through snow banks, etc.

:thumb:

southkogs

Staff member
I know it's a pain in the _____________ (insert preferred noun here), but the view in that video is very pretty.