Some interesting info for everybody

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if this is where to post this, but here goes. The folks in the know can move it if it is not the proper forum...

Within the last few weeks I had a water pump become an issue in my Blazer. And being how it is so old and many miles, I really wasn't too ill about its life expectancy. So I removed the idler pulley and tensioner pulley as well to get to the bolts. And each type pulley I removed also seems a bit noisy. They still worked but obvious many miles on them as well.

So off I go to the auto parts store(s). I took the water pump, both pulleys AND I also took the alternator as well to have it checked. I got to the auto parts store and bought a new water pump, both pulleys and had them check the alternator. Well they claimed the alternate was bad. I was shocked about that because it actually worked perfectly without any issues. But they insisted that it was indeed bad. They said the bearings were gone as well as the electrical shot! So I didn't buy another one but left with the new parts in hand and my old alternator.

Most of the time I buy their lifetime warranty replacements parts, and I made the statement that my old sells recipe(s) were all so faded out now that I couldn't even read them anymore. They agreed with that, stated that the customers should photocopy their recipes and keep them in the vehicle for future need, but they never state that to any customer! I said, well you guys have my parts purchase history on your computer so I really wasn't worried. They said NO we don't! The history files automatically all disappear after about two years, and if the customer can't verify their original recipe, too bad! That did shock me to say the least!

But wait there's more!

After replacing the bear in the rear of my alternator, because it was bad, AND after cleaning and testing the diode pack, winding, and brushes and armature, I return for them to once again test it. Again it failed...again! But they took one off the shelf and tested theirs with a totally different code number then mine. And of course theirs passed. So I watch as they tested both. Seems my alternator used a different code and also they push an on screen button stating it was a "Customer's Unit". It again failed, but they changed the code AND pushed a different on screen button stating it was a "New Off The Shelf" unit, and theirs passed again! He tried to sell me their new $130 dollar alternator, but knowing this unit worked perfectly on the vehicle I refused to buy their unit as a replacement and left.

I drove to another auto parts place, this time O'reilly's Auto parts. I walked in and asked them to test it without any background info. They tested it and it passed every test they could run against it twice without any problem in the least! Now I was really PO'ed! I guess I'll be changing auto parts stores now... I'm sure I can't post the first auto part store's name here, but if I could I would most certainly! Just be aware of such things for your future purchases! And know that other stores may have similar life time warranty issues about dropping customer histories as well...

Oh...and the vehicle IS all back together and working perfectly again. I even tested the charging system since with no issues what so ever!

Fun Times

Staff member
Lol, must be auto zone.....I hear the same stories about 5 times a year from my father in law.

The receipts fad away and the computer get's updated with new store managers so they lose all your past history to avoid warranties. Surprised he mentioned photocopy your recipes, at least he was somewhat honest with you.;)

Tnstratofam

Commander
Most parts stores are operated by parts changers and parts sellers not mechanics. If you're lucky enough to find one with a retired mechanic you've got half a chance for help. As far as the parts rhemselves they're mostly junk made to last just a few years at best. I took a set of brake pads back to echange on a lifetime waranty I still had a readable receipt. The brakes were 11 years old. The counterperson was stunned first by the fact the invisible ink they printed the receipt with hadn't done its job and faded away. He was also stunned I still owned the car. I just smiled and nodded as I walked out the door with my replacement brakes. I still have the car and that was 9 years ago. I can't wait to show back up in a few years receipt in hand for my next set of pads.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Lol, must be auto zone.....I hear the same stories about 5 times a year from my father in law.

The receipts fad away and the computer get's updated with new store managers so they lose all your past history to avoid warranties. Surprised he mentioned photocopy your recipes, at least he was somewhat honest with you.;)

Well let me say it this way...You're close to the correct name, but not Auto Zone. But thanks for that info as well! I guess that type of life time policy is prevalent now for all of them...SMH!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i've use Oreilly's for years all they need is my phone number.

In a previous life I spent many a charity dinner with the oreilly family. good people and i like how they run a business.

too bad they lost one in Ferguson last night.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Most parts stores are operated by parts changers and parts sellers not mechanics. If you're lucky enough to find one with a retired mechanic you've got half a chance for help. As far as the parts rhemselves they're mostly junk made to last just a few years at best. I took a set of brake pads back to echange on a lifetime waranty I still had a readable receipt. The brakes were 11 years old. The counterperson was stunned first by the fact the invisible ink they printed the receipt with hadn't done its job and faded away. He was also stunned I still owned the car. I just smiled and nodded as I walked out the door with my replacement brakes. I still have the car and that was 9 years ago. I can't wait to show back up in a few years receipt in hand for my next set of pads.

Actually your story makes me think about what my dad did one day at a Sear Auto Center. He had bought their life time shocks for his car. A few years later he went into the Auto Center and after waiting a while a salesman came up to him and asked what he needed. He asked the salesman how to tell if you needed shocks? Oh the hot-shot salesman told him HE could tell and when to the car. He pushed the car down a few times and said he needed new shocks all the way around. My dad said okay change them. Once they got the car on the rack and seen their Life Time Shocks, the salesmen came back and stated that he was mistaken and his shocks were actually very good. My dad told him that he better change them or else. Oh yes they were caught in their very own trap... To coin a good phrase from the "A" team, I love it when a plan comes together! :applause:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i've use Oreilly's for years all they need is my phone number.

In a previous life I spent many a charity dinner with the oreilly family. good people and i like how they run a business.

too bad they lost one in Ferguson last night.

That is sad they lost one, but I actually think more stores were also lost there...go figure?

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Auto parts =ARE!! In the buisness to =SELL Parts! Some are not reputable! Seen many -been there done that! I rely on usually 1 store -where I know the parts & peoples reputation! I try & stay away fron the new -auto parts chains!!-Notice -New ones-I only go to the old established ones! & ill say this =always get some old man to help you -Knowledge is =EVERYTHING! Anyone can press a computer button!! Even a monkey!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Auto parts =ARE!! In the buisness to =SELL Parts! Some are not reputable! Seen many -been there done that! I rely on usually 1 store -where I know the parts & peoples reputation! I try & stay away fron the new -auto parts chains!!-Notice -New ones-I only go to the old established ones! & ill say this =always get some old man to help you -Knowledge is =EVERYTHING! Anyone can press a computer button!! Even a monkey!

Yes seem the auto parts stores are now hiring folks that have ZERO auto experience to wait on customers. They are going the same way Radio Shack went. You use to be able to go to RS and get some experienced help with individual electronic parts, but not anymore. The auto parts places are following that to a large degree. Some workers are knowledgeable when you ask for a certain part, but too many others, haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is unfortunate, as those of us that grew up in the time of customer service and knowledgeable sales people age, it will become more and more frustrating as more and more will use the computer with less and less knowledge to answer our actual questions about stuff. With the advent of the database, less and less knowledge is required to do the job.

nlain

Commander
I was in Advance Auto Parts a couple months back making a small purchase and the clerk told the customer ahead of me to make sure he copied his receipt and put it someplace safe, corporate store policies had changed and that they would no longer be able to use the computer info to verify a purchase, supposedly to keep the store people honest.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
The guy at Advance told me the same thing when I replaced the wife's battery.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
walk into an auto parts store, ask them for valve cover gaskets for a small block chevrolet. if they ask you for a year, make, model of vehicle, walk out the door. The do not know anything about the parts they are selling. if they ask you "perimeter bolts or center bolts", then buy parts from them.

Tnstratofam

Commander
walk into an auto parts store, ask them for valve cover gaskets for a small block chevrolet. if they ask you for a year, make, model of vehicle, walk out the door. The do not know anything about the parts they are selling. if they ask you "perimeter bolts or center bolts", then buy parts from them.

That is a good test. I like it when a counter person finishes my scentences or thoughts because they are experienced. I don't like it when all they can do is punch buttons and read a screen. Look I don't expect them to be ASE master mechanics, but it would help.

When you think about it though most businesses have gone that direction. They hire young inexperienced people to have a lower payroll. I've been an HVAC service tech for 22 years, and am pretty good at my job. My wife wants me to get out of the field, but most distributors don't or won't pay a salary for someone like me when they can pay a person around minimum wage to sell us parts. Now having a person who's been in the field successfully working behind the counter would be better for people needing help, it is an expense most companies aren't willing to spend.

Just my .02 cents. I hope i spelled everything right. This stupid iphone is going to drive me to drink!

southkogs

Staff member

Own a Stringer with a Chevy straight 6 ... It'll help ya' sort the good part shops from the crumby ones pretty quickly. :D

aspeck

Staff member
One local parts stores, after maintaining employment with them for a year, sends their young kids to get their ASE certification. The only downside is these kids can get pretty arrogant with their book and computer key punch experience, but lack of real world experience. Put them in their place, and they are great to work with.