Fixed Wing

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ Cool stuff. I've seen that video before ... Amazing everyone survived with that flip at the end.

DaNinja

Lieutenant
^^^ Cool stuff. I've seen that video before ... Amazing everyone survived with that flip at the end.

Without a doubt, an Apache is the best rotary-wing aircraft to crash in (not going to expound on how I know this. lol). The Air Force's A-10 is probably the best fixed-wing aircraft to take battle damage and still limp home.

southkogs

Staff member
If you haven't seen it, there is a pretty incredible story of an Israeli F-15 coming home on one wing. Well worth a Google if you're into that stuff.

There've been several birds over the years that could be a real ordinance sponge and still bring ya' home. They said the ole' P-47 could absorb quite a beating. And I would think the Huey would have a similar reputation too.

DaNinja

Lieutenant
If you haven't seen it, there is a pretty incredible story of an Israeli F-15 coming home on one wing. Well worth a Google if you're into that stuff.

There've been several birds over the years that could be a real ordinance sponge and still bring ya' home. They said the ole' P-47 could absorb quite a beating. And I would think the Huey would have a similar reputation too.

Since the initial thread is about completely derailed..

The P-47 is my favorite aircraft of that era. Not as sexy as a P-51 Mustang or P-38 Lightning, but it was a "blue collar" warrior.
Robert Johnson's "Thunderbolt" was one of the first real books I read as a kid. Some of the pictures I have seen make you wonder how the aircraft was able to fly, let alone land.

The first P-47 pilots were told to keep the nose up during crash landings. After some tragic results, some learned to just let the big nose dig. Most of those had more favorable results.

As far as taking a beating, the modern A-10 was officially named "Thunderbolt II". (Warthog is the name that stuck since the aircraft is so ungainly looking). I read that Russian tankers called it "The Devils Cross" because of its silhouette and lethal fire power.

It, supposedly, can fly with 1/3 of wing missing, 1/2 the horizontal stabilizer gone and one engine out. The Vulcan Gun that the aircraft is built around will actually cause you physical pain if you happen to be 50-100' underneath it when it is fired. It shakes your entire body.

So.. to support the OP, these aircraft did not have rotary wings but they had some fixed wings that needed more fixin' when they got back to base. lol

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
:rolleyes: the derail is mostly my fault ... but you had some interesting stuff, so I thought I'd take advantage of that. I did throw a Huey into my post to stay kinda' on track though :D

I've been around all of these planes my whole life. My family was guard (I'm one of two who didn't go in), and now I play around the edges a little (can't afford to fly as a hobby). I have a real appreciation for the A-10, having been able to get up close to 'em on several occasions. As I understand it, that Vulcan has almost the same force as an afterburner when it's shooting. That's pretty intense.

The Jug has quickly become a new favorite of mine as I was doing a buncha' reading on it. There are a lot more elegant lookin' planes out there, but the 47 seems to be a real workhorse - the "Blue Collar" warrior is a good title.