Fixed Wing

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
"Fixed wing" or "small fixed wing" aircraft is a term that comes up in the news occasionally.

As opposed to a plane that flaps its wings like a bird?

Aren't most planes "fixed wing" ?

I know there are some planes on which the wings move, but aren't they the minority, especially in small planes?

And why make the distinction?

"Journalists" just grabbing a term they have heard ?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So why not just call it an airplane?

The reason I wrote this:
"I know there are some planes on which the wings move"

is because I have seen planes with wings that retracted, rearward, as the planes went faster.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So why not just call it an airplane? Think

The reason I wrote this:
"I know there are some planes on which the wings move"

is because I have seen planes with wings that retracted, rearward, as the planes went faster.
Becouse there are "airplanes" that have rotary wings as well

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
A helicopter is technically an airplane. On an airplane like a commercial jet or a private Cessna, the wings are "fixed" or stationary against the airframe. On an airplane like a helicopter, the wings are rotary against the airframe.

You also have other technical variants: swept wing (B-52) , variable swept wing (f14), delta wing (F-106) ... Some of which are also classified fixed wing.

When pilots talk, generally the delineation is between fixed wings (anything that isn't a helicopter) and rotary wing (anything that is a helicopter).

For added fun, the military helicopter pilots typically refer to their birds as "ships." (At least the bulk of 'em that I interact with)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I was looking for that vid, bekosh, but fell short. The bed with the rotating umbrella had promise. :eek:

southkogs

Staff member
I wish I could find Jonathan Winters doing Maude Frickert as the world's oldest airline stewardess. The bit about her brother scotch taping pigeons to his arms to fly is a riot.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I guess I've never heard a helicopter called a rotary winged aircraft.
I've always heard them called helicopters, or choppers, or helos.
I've never heard the rotors called wings either.

So now I have learned something.

I wonder if the "journalists" that use the term, know what it means.

waterinthefuel

Commander
Yep, what everyone else said was right.

Rotary wing aircraft are helicopters. I know like in corporate aviation, for a company like PHI that has airplanes and helicopters, to distinguish which one you're discussing you'll say "rotary wing" or "fixed wing" division. Fixed wing is airplanes. Everything else isn't.

A helicopters rotor blade is simply a wing.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
I'll take the wings that are firmly attached to the sides of the aircraft :)

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Technically Helicopters don't fly, they just beat the air into submission or so I was told by a Marine aviation mechanic.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ LOL: I went glider flying last week, and had to mentally get over that hump of watching the wings be put on. "FIRMLY ATTACHED" became quite a consideration.