The season is upon us. Revisiting Boom's Turkey Brine!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Okay, since noone was willing to advise me regarding suitability for mini giraffe I settled for one turkey, a chicken bird and a pork butt. I figured the pork butt would come in handy for the potential turkey averse guest or, even better, would go untouched tomorrow and make some outstanding leftovers. Either way Boom's Brine has been deployed at the Coop compound and all is well. Happy Turkey Day my iboats brethren!

Coop, you only need a very tall pot to brine a mini giraffe. You substituted well. :D Enjoy and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

64osby

Admiral
We did two turkeys, one with Boom's brine and then grilled on the Weber, the other with a chicken broth brine and cooked in a roaster. Both were excellent and probably the juiciest turkeys we have ever had.

Thanks for the big nudge into the world of brine.:brick: :hail: I will be using this for years to come.:thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Brined a bird for Turkey Day. Been doing it for a few years, absolutely the best! I was going to smoke it, but the Admiral decided to spatchcock it. We've smoked all sorts of meat, but not a turkey and she was afraid it might take too long. I said poppycock, but I have to do my best to keep her happy. ;)

BTW - I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best of the four I've had. It holds temps well, easy to add chips and isn't a hard clean up.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well my home made hams, came out fantastic, I did post pictures of them last month after I had smoked them, and boy or boy they were yummy, even my wife likes them!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Happy Thanksgiving Boom and Wednesday night the bird gets the famous “Boom's Turkey Brine!!bath. “

I didn't know you were still around, TD. Been a long time! Thanks for the compliment and hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Well I have to do a mea culpa. My turkey is brined but it did not get cooked for this glorious holiday. I had to suffer through a standard oven roasted turkey at our nieces house. But rest assured, while all you pioneers are reveling in your brined leftovers tomorrow, my bird will be on the Traeger for tomorrow nights repast.

Oh, and btw, there are now three whole chickens sitting in the brine, as I type. I will remove them tomorrow, vacuum pack them and freeze them for when the kids come home for Christmas

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Now I find it! Day late and a dollar short as usual. :(

heycods, there is always Christmas or next year's Thanksgiving. However, I did my turkey the day after Thanksgiving. We went to our nieces for the day and had her rather bland oven roasted turkey.. I am now noshing on the most delicious turkey tidbits that you can imagine.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
bumping up for Christmas ...

There rightfully should be some happy campers, if they dare try it.. I am still reveling in the succulent, extraordinary taste of our post Thanksgiving leftovers. Just remember to pull the Turkey out at 160? and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Going to do the rotisserie with a little smoke this time ...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Going to do the rotisserie with a little smoke this time ...

I think that is may favorite way although it is hassle to set up the spit and keep enough coals in the fire. Also, you can't use your remote thermometer with that bird doing loop de loops. But I sure do love what it does to the skin.

aspeck

Staff member
Rotisserie on the gas grill .... Wood chips in an old pie pan to smoke the puppy ... That is the plan. Soaking in brine today and tonight, goes on the fire in the early morning!