The season is upon us. Revisiting Boom's Turkey Brine!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
For all you old timers, I know your mouth is watering. If not, you don't want to miss out on trying this.What ever method you choose to cook your turkey with , brining with this recipe will blow you away. Here is a link to the brine recipe. It is about the 4th post down in the thread. Bon Appetite and a happy Thanksgiving to all.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other...-brine-recipes

What might not be mentioned in the recipe post, if you have a frozen turkey and can keep it in a pot, in the refridgerator or even outside (at least 40 degrees) you can let the turkey thaw in the brine several days before it is time to cook it.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
We should make an icon to represent our old post's that have become tradition ;) Your brine is one of them!

nwcove

Admiral
boom....can ya substitute coarse pickling salt for kosher salt? if not, what is the difference?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Kosher salt is flaked and pickling salt is not, makes a big difference in how you measure them. There is actually quite a few web sites that you can find info on different salts.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
I am one that will vouch for Boom's Ulimate Brine. My family LOVES it. Works great on wild birds (turkey, geese, duck, pheasant, grouse, etc.), squirrels, and rabbits, too!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
What I should re-emphasize is that you can get an easy two-fer on your brine mix. Have 2 or 3 fresh, whole chickens on hand when you pull your turkey out of the brine for cooking. Drop the chickens in the brine and let them soak for a couple of days. Then you can take them out and freeze them till you want to cook one. They are every bit as spectacular as the turkey!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
boom....can ya substitute coarse pickling salt for kosher salt? if not, what is the difference?

Not familiar with pickling salt but I really do not know why not. Not sure how the pickling salt measures out but I would think if you are close to parity, it would work. It all dissolves in the mixture, anyway.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Pickling salt is a higher concentration than kosher salt, so you will have to make sure and adjust your mixture to compensate for the higher concentrations, or you will end up with a too salty brine which will reflect on the taste of the meat. I have experienced this in the past with the meats I have been smoking. All of these salts are pretty cheap and readily available at most grocery stores, I keep all of the different types on hand just to make sure I have it covered when I want to do something up.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Once you eat a brined turkey, you will never be satisfied with the old, dry, traditional bird. Lots of good brining recipes, and as long as you get the water-salt-sugar ratios right, it's hard to mess up. Lots of ways to modify the brine, so it can be fun to experiment. (I don't recommend adding mint to the brine, though! That doesn't sound good at all...)

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Boom forgive me for I have sinned. I brined a turkey with a different recipe. I'm not proud of it but I didn't have time to procure all the ingredients for the Boom Brine. I'm surprised Art hasn't snitched on me. Howevever, there's hope yet. I've been tasked by the admiral of admirals (my mama:whip:) with smoking another bird next week and intend to pursue sweet salty succulent redemption by adhering fully to the sacred tenets set forth herein, Art as my witness!:sorry:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom forgive me for I have sinned. I brined a turkey with a different recipe. I'm not proud of it but I didn't have time to procure all the ingredients for the Boom Brine. I'm surprised Art hasn't snitched on me. Howevever, there's hope yet. I've been tasked by the admiral of admirals (my mama:whip:) with smoking another bird next week and intend to pursue sweet salty succulent redemption by adhering fully to the sacred tenets set forth herein, Art as my witness!:sorry:

You are forgiven Incoop. I am sure there are other variations that will do a bird justice. It is just that if one doesn't try some variation, they will be destined to bland, dry, tasteless turkey forever.

I am getting ready to immerse my turkey in the timeless recipe tomorrow.

Bon appetite!

aspeck

Staff member
So, when do I get my taste? If I am gonna be a witness, I gotta taste! I am looking at smokers currently ... Last one finally rusted out beyond repair ...

lncoop

Vice Admiral
So, when do I get my taste? If I am gonna be a witness, I gotta taste! I am looking at smokers currently ... Last one finally rusted out beyond repair ...

Well just come on down Rev. Speck and we'll strap on the feed bag!

treedancer

Commander
You won't regret it. If you do not print out the recipe, you will be pleading for me to repost it next year!

Happy Thanksgiving Boom and Wednesday night the bird gets the famous “Boom's Turkey Brine!!bath. “

lncoop

Vice Admiral
You guys reckon that brine would work on miniature giraffe?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Okay, since noone was willing to advise me regarding suitability for mini giraffe I settled for one turkey, a chicken bird and a pork butt. I figured the pork butt would come in handy for the potential turkey averse guest or, even better, would go untouched tomorrow and make some outstanding leftovers. Either way Boom's Brine has been deployed at the Coop compound and all is well. Happy Turkey Day my iboats brethren!

aspeck

Staff member
Your guests will be raving, but there go the hopes of leftovers, a side effect of Boom's Brine! Happy Thanksgiving, ln!