25 yr old daughter finally getting her car accident settlement, investment advice?

thumpar

Admiral
I used to have Vanguard. I pretty much just broke even after 5-6 years with them. The performance was poor and this was after the 2007-2008 downturn. Now I have Edward Jones with a financial advisor. I am happy with the progress she has made with my account. My sister (in the business) looked over my account and liked what I had.

tpenfield

Staff member
Alright, forget the new boat idea . . .

Wait until gold & gold mining stocks reach bottom and then load up the bus.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Problem with having money in stocks or savings ,IRAs. 401Ks etc etc is that you will always having someone (big brother for one ) counting it and being sure you only get what is left after taxes, fees, etc etc. I am beginning to think it would be best to have some gold bars and every time you need cash just scrape off some flakes and sell them for CASH with NO questions asked.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am beginning to think it would be best to have some gold bars and every time you need cash just scrape off some flakes and sell them for CASH with NO questions asked.
Of course gold has lost 1/3 of it's value in the last year and a half. Only fools buy gold.

tpenfield

Staff member
Of course gold has lost 1/3 of it's value in the last year and a half. Only fools buy gold.

Those who bought over the past year-and-a-half were fooled, at some point, buying gold (or gold stocks) will become smart.

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I actually listen to most of what he has to say....he usually is well informed and understands the subject of which he speaks.
But....when he starts off => "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace" I have to wonder whether he has really done his homework.... and how much is just predetermined bias.,... :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I actually listen to most of what he has to say....he usually is well informed and understands the subject of which he speaks.
But....when he starts off => "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace" I have to wonder whether he has really done his homework.... and how much is just predetermined bias.,... :)
Considering that South Africa used to be the #1 producer of gold and likely was the #1 at the time he said that in 1998, he probably does know what he is talking about.

thumpar

Admiral
I have never been a gold investment person. Those that do are usually the type that want it for the end of the world type thing. If that happens I think lead will be worth more.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
ryjroog.png

aspeck

Staff member
Second that question.

As for gold and Africa, South Africa is only one of the places gold is mined in Africa. Ghana ( Formerly the Gold Coast) is another of MANY African countries that mine substantial amounts of gold.