Just a little Rant!!!

dozerII

Admiral
So I don't know about the rest of you my age, born 1956, but my parents raised me with a fairly strict hand and the need to have respect for your elders, and obey the law. Now I went through my rebellious period, but grew out of that real quick at 19 with a wife and child. Never did anything real bad, or anything that hurt anyone. I have always been and still am a little afraid of my Dad, he's 83 and the Cops,(it's probably not afraid but Respect) but it seems to be anything but the norm nowadays. I am a professional driver and have about 10 years experience at it, and I have been driving since 1972 I've had 2 speeding tickets in those 42 years, one was 2 weeks after I got my license and the 2nd one was 20 years ago, and was a cash grab by the local constabulary. Okay now I'm just babbling, what's really picking at me is the total lac of respect most of todays drivers seem to have for the laws of the road. I live in Southern Saskatchewan Can. and it is the same in Alberta. It seems anywhere were the oil industry is booming nothing matters but speed. If an oil company needs something done and the regular supplier can't do it in the time they expect, they will hire anyone to get it done. I can set the cruise on my truck at 100 k an hour in a 100k zone and will get passed by every one like I'm standing still. Every intersection that intersect the highway has a stop sign on it and it seem no one stops at them anymore. Just this morning on a 100 k round trip I counted 16 vehicles that never even slowed down for stop signs. About 60% of the drivers I met on the road this morning would not dim there high beams with a flash of mine. Is it just the oil industry and the attitude it has instilled or is this kind of behavior happening everywhere? Just had to vent.:facepalm:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I think a lot of the inhabitants of an oil boom area kinda get the feeling they're in an old west boom town.
Mike

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Do not get me going on those red and white licence plates. You should see them in BC in the summer time, 140 KM on the straight stretches 30 KM in the corners.

I was supervising a crew for ED doing.pole line const, one of the young guys said we may not know what we are doing but we are not doing it fast enough?????
After hearing that It was time to look for another job before someone hurt them selves or others.

nwcove

Admiral
that issue is from coast to coast. just yesterday i was heading into halifax in a 110 zone.....going 110, got passed by an suv that was going at a crazy speed, it actually startled me when it went by, my car rocked from its wind backwash! ya hear it every day on the radio...people passing stopped school buses, people dying in crashes where speed was the cause. the world now is all about time and speed......if i leave home 15 mins late, and speed to get to work.....i should be on time ( if i dont kill myself or someone else).

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Same all over,here stateside, 55 mph is the law. I set the cruise at 60-62 mph. I get caught up,passed pretty regular. Funny part is,they are waiting at the same stoplight or intersection,or fuelstop that I approach. Just because you are fast,don't make ya a good driver. Except nascar of course!

bigdee

Commander
Same all over,here stateside, 55 mph is the law. I set the cruise at 60-62 mph. I get caught up,passed pretty regular. Funny part is,they are waiting at the same stoplight or intersection,or fuelstop that I approach. Just because you are fast,don't make ya a good driver. Except nascar of course!

People who speed while driving across town cannot do math

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If the sign says 65 mph but not enforced until 80 mph, what is the effective speed limit?

I drive 60 highway miles to and from work. The posted speed limit is 65 mph. Traffic flow stays between 75 and 78. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

No excuse for not being courteous and dimming your lights, etc.

My pet peeve, people impeding traffic by driving 65 mph in the "fast" lane.....lol

Remember, if there is someone behind you and nobody in front, move over and let others pass....it's the law in most areas

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Well I can't say I'm glad to here that's it's not just here. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry all the time. And rbh I here you about those red and white plates, when I moved to Sask 6 years ago I couldn't get those plates off fast enough.:lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
OK, gotta ask - What are the red and white plates? Like seeing New York plates in Florida during the winter?

dozerII

Admiral
OK, gotta ask - What are the red and white plates? Like seeing New York plates in Florida during the winter?

Red and white plates are from Alberta Can. where the oil boom started and has the fasted most obnoxious drivers.:facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, DII. I guess you see plenty of plates from the lower 48 also, those that didn't stop in Williston, North Dakota.

nwcove

Admiral
Red and white plates are from Alberta Can. where the oil boom started and has the fasted most obnoxious drivers.:facepalm:

gawd......those are the plates i hate to get behind here on the east coast!! a motor home with alberta plates is like a slow moving road block. 50 in an 80! guess they come here to slow their pace of life.....and make me late! lol

Volphin

Lieutenant
I've been to many countries and believe me, idiots with autos are everywhere!

RGrew176

Commander
My pet peeve is those drivers who just have to make that left turn once my light has turned green. Here where I live S/E Michigan it is all to common for those who are trying to turn left to run the red lights. It is worst during rush hour but it can happen anytime. Last Monday as I was headed to my job at an intersection near my home my light turned green but 4 cars turning left onto the street I was on decided that the red light they had meant nothing and my green light was just something to look at. The next day at the same intersection 3 cars ran the red. All I could do was honk at the last couple of cars and I get the stare from them. I have complained to my local PD but they do not seem to care. What can I do. Not much, sometimes I wish I drove a tank and when my light turned green off I would go and if they got in the way to bad for them.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yall need some more cops who can give out BIG tickets and help the speeders spend some of that big oil money. Make their wallets go flat if you cant make their tires do so.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Yep...mine too. Just got back from Italy. No body drives in the fast lane at the speed limit.
Texans have this figured out as well. In the UK and Australia (as well as Europe) you also don't pass on the slow side. They call it "Undertaking" and it is a violation just like speeding. They do not weave in and out at all. You go the fast lane to pass, and right back. I had a stint on the Autobahn this summer and you follow the rules or get run over. Speed differentials of 60 MPH between lanes are very common :eek:

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Bruce, I remember my time in Italy as being the only place in the world where a Stop Sign was only a suggestion. I was terrified riding in a cab over there.

Deeper

Cadet
There are idiots everywhere. I'm in Ontario and see stuff all the time that makes my blood boil. My biggest pet peeve is when you're stopped in traffic on the highway and people pull onto the shoulder to pass to the front.