After my Dish Network Problems the last few days...

thumpar

Admiral
The online part is good but the biggest thing about this is the "mix and match" packages. Right now we have cable but only because they offered us an introductory deal for it. I get probably 200 channels and watch maybe 10 of them. Even then I end up downloading some of them because I misses a show. Things like Roku (if you don't know what that is look it up we have 3 of them) are going to take over. I have a Plex server in my house with tons of content and watch it on the Rokus.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We ditched cable 3 years ago. We just have high speed internet, and 3 Roku's. Get everything we need using an antenna and Netflix or Hulu. Happy with the shows we can watch, and really happy not paying nearly 200 per month for cable internet and phone.:D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am very familiar with Roku, Netflixs and my Sony Blu Ray player, as well as having a media center computer with TV cards in each one of them, when we didn't have the receiver last week, we watched TV on the net. I am just thrilled that it looks like we will have options in the future.

Tnstratofam

Commander
My biggest complaint of cable and satellite is that to get the 10 or so channels I like I have to get the package with 500 channels. I think if any of them had more tailor made channel selection people would be happier.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Too bad 25% of the country can't get internet service thats fast enough to download content.
Someone call me when I can get 1 mbps download speeds for less than $90 a month.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My download speed averages around 512 and I didn't have any problems watching the shows I wanted to last week.

thumpar

Admiral
WOW. Why can't you get faster? Around here there are many choices. We pay just a tad over $100 but that is 50mb internet and TV together.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
WOW. Why can't you get faster? Around here there are many choices. We pay just a tad over $100 but that is 50mb internet and TV together.

If I lived in town, I could get 25 mbps, but I am over 15 miles outside town and up in the woods, heck, I don't even get cell service at my house!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Personally, unless I can watch HD, I don't bother.

A lot of the television we watch is not broadcast in HD, so I don't worry about it. I do notice it on stuff that was taken or videoed in HD, but if it is the older shows that were made before HD, it does not make a difference, even with the Dish system a lot of what we watch was not filmed in HD, so it really makes no difference.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
If I lived in town, I could get 25 mbps, but I am over 15 miles outside town and up in the woods, heck, I don't even get cell service at my house!
There is a wireless service here (not satellite) that offers high speed to almost all of eastern Washington at reasonable rates. I couldn't live somewhere that didn't have it because of my job.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There is a wireless service here (not satellite) that offers high speed to almost all of eastern Washington at reasonable rates. I couldn't live somewhere that didn't have it because of my job.

We have been running an internet business on our connection for close to 18 years now, we started out on dial up and did not get our first high speed until about 8 years ago. My wife services the web accounts of about 400 customers currently on this connection.

thumpar

Admiral
We have been running an internet business on our connection for close to 18 years now, we started out on dial up and did not get our first high speed until about 8 years ago. My wife services the web accounts of about 400 customers currently on this connection.
I have been with the company I work for for just a little over 17 years and work from home. Back then it was just dial-up but I got DSL close to 15 years ago now. I think I was one of the first in town to get it. The speed was only 256kbs but it was smoking fast compared to anything else.