Nascar - Win Or Go Home - Cup & Trucks At Talladega

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's gonna happen this time. G-W-C restart. Oh Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GA_Boater

Jr. gets caught up in the restart wreck. Yellow and another G-W-C restart.

GA_Boater

Keso wins and moves on with Logano, Newman, Harvick, Hamlin, Kenseth, Edwards and Gordon. Kahne, The Twerp, JJ and Dale Jr. are eliminated. From the longest track to the shortest track, Martinsville, next week. Only eight of them left for the next round.

64 had a good day, almost a hundred more points added to pad his overall lead over Cowboy. With four races to go, the FL race is turning into a rout.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
3 of 4 Hendrick cars were just eliminated. Jeffy is the only one moving on. Nobody helped JJ at the end, go figure...:rolleyes:

I suppose Shrubby wouldn't interview, or did I miss it?

GA_Boater

I didn't see a Twerp interview, either. That was a hit for Hendrick with 3 of his drivers eliminated in one fell swoop..

64osby

Admiral
Our Host pulls off the :first:.

Way to go GA.

So what did you know before the race? :gossip: :spy:

GA_Boater

We had a team meeting before the green flag was dropped, 64. I told them to stay away from Keso, JJ and Dale Jr. cuz they would do almost anything to get to the next stage, watch out for the big one, watch the tires and don't get in any fights. :D Actually after that crazy qualifying session, all my picks were at the back with an average starting position of 36.4. Not looking so good, but they finished with an average of 15.6, good for the numbers. This all sounds so scientific, doesn't it? I was lucky. :happy: They missed the wrecks and were able finish decently.

GA_Boater

A post-race observation. JJ, Dale Jr. and Kahne were interviewed after the race. Naturally they all expressed disappointment at not advancing. I think it said a lot that The Twerp didn't grant an interview and his crew chief, Dave Rodgers, did the talking for Busch. One tid-bit out of it was this response to How did Kyle Busch react?
"I can't praise him (Kyle Busch) enough. He's really stepped up to be a great leader of this race team in the Chase. We've had a couple things go against us -- getting the nose knocked off at Loudon, today and Kyle's done a really good job of biting his lip and just backing the race team to let us do our job. Kyle, I can't say enough good about him. I'm really proud of him. It's been a lot of fun working with him and we're not done yet. We can't win the championship, but we can still advance in points and work our way up to fifth. We're going to go to Martinsville working hard and we're going to try to win all these races."

There is plenty of tension in the 18 crew!

BTW - This was Terry Lebonte's last race and a special paint job was designed to honor his 1996 and 1984 championships. The idea was Kellogg's yellow (1996) on the passenger side and Piedmont Airlines light blue (1984) on the drivers side. Nascar nixed the idea because they have a rule for everything and both sides have to be the same color.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
What a crock what Shubby's crew chief said, does he really think anyone will buy it?

GA_Boater

Rodgers probably told him to shut up and stop whining, go to the coach and we'll call you when it's ready. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner
So I didn't have a great race over here, but I am dang happy with what happened in my other League. The leader was ahead of me by 27 points going in. She always takes Brad K, so I have been matching her so there can be no big swing no matter what Brad does. Did the same, so that worked. Funny how closely the rest of our picks have been as well. I took Gordon and Jimmy electing to stay away from Junior. She did the same. So our only differences were the two filler spots. I took Ryan Blaney as I figured he'd be around to help Brad, and Sorensen. She took David Gilliland and Josh Wise. The net? I gained exactly 27 points and we are tied at 7255.5. On to Martinsville... Whew!

GA_Boater

Sounds like you're in a dogfight over there, QC. Good luck bringing home the bacon. :D

64osby

Admiral
Nice job in the other league. What is the tie breaker rule?

GA, I pretty much did the same as you. Looked at my picks and the qualifying positions and thought that field position and finish would work.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Good question! I need to just make sure that's not an issue. Should be worth around 400 smackers, so taking it a little serious.

Edit: Come to think of it that is one SS prop unit in my favorite currency...

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Nascar has officialized the results from Talladega. This lucky writer was able to fend off the masses and got a :first: for the mantle. On a side note - the Admirals :first: was relegated to the closet, making room for the latest trophy. She's :sleep:ing late today. :behindsofa:

In our overall Chase, 64 is now ahead of Cowboy by 574 points with only four races to go. Is the fat lady clearing her throat?
And what's Nascar without some kind of issue? Newman finished 5th in the race and 3rd in the points, advancing to the next round and keeping him in the Chase. BUT - His car failed post-race inspection, low on both sides in the rear. Any points penalty could change his 3rd place in points, but he should have enough to stay in the Chase. The decision should be announced some time today.

These cars are inspected 6 ways from Sunday - Prior to every practice, qualifying, pre-race and post-race. Nascar has eliminated the height requirement, except for plate races and Newman was involved in some of the on-track incidents in a minor way. Why can't Nascar be more tolerant in the post-race inspections? Except for the 48 because we know Chad likes to stretch the rules. :biggrin: