Pro Sports, anyone else losing interest?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I don't know if it's because I'm getting old or what.

Pro Footbal just doesn't seem to be as much fun to watch anymore. It's now all about TV revenue, fantasy picks and officials. When you have to watch a game and you can tell which team the FOX or CBS announcers are rooting for then why have them? Why not just let the local homers do the play by play? Thursday night football. Why? MONEY.

Baseball, haven't watched a game all year and where I'm at that's 3 teams. Brewers, CUBS, WhiteSox.

Not into hockey and lost interest in Basketball long ago.

NASCAR, can't figure out just what it is they are trying to do either. And their website has become one of the hardest to navigate that I've come apon.

Might as well bring back the Pro Bowling Tour! Heck I've even found myself watching Pro Darts when It's on only because I used to play.

thumpar

Admiral
I used to get into fantasy football but stopped doing it a couple of years ago. It ruined the game. Now I just root for my Seahawks (not a bandwagon fan. Rooted for them all my life) and ignore most everything else. I watch Nascar but wish they were more "stock". I have never seen a rear wheel drive Camry. Baseball and hockey never got me excited except for the local ametuer hockey team here.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I don't play fantasy and never have, don't even know how it works. I just don't bet on things I have no control over. Wife and I have for many years played straight up picks against each other for every game and over the past few years we have each been as good or better than all the Pros picking on TV.

NASCAR is no longer Stock car racing. NHRA is too elitist. To make it interesting they should bring back the IROC series were everyone is driving the same car. Though it isn't Pro I used to enjoy Pinks All Out.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There is a big difference between the pro sports I grew up with and what is now going on, when I was growing up, pro athletes played because they loved the sport and the money was secondary, today many athletes love the money so they play the game, it is like many other things in life, driven by profit and not by professionalism.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Then when thinking of baseball how many 20 game winning pitchers do you see let alone 20 game complete winners. From what I see today these kids go 5 innings and they're tired, done. 100 pitches we got to get then out of there. What ever happened to guys like Ferggie Jenkins, Tom Seaver and the likes?

thumpar

Admiral
I am not a gambler either and never put money into it. It was fun for awhile but people started to get way to serious about it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yeah I don't get into the pools at work or the bars either. Will get on the strip cards now and then but that's about it.

Bigprairie1

Commander
This sounds like it might be more of a personal issue than a sports issue....not necessarily a bad thing, depending on whats behind it.
As for pro-sports, well I can see getting bored with Pro Football...there is only 13-14 minutes worth of actual play during the whole game. I am a big hockey fan but I choose certain events and times of the year to watch.
As far as pro sports quality.....well, I can speak for the pro hockey athletes and they have never been higher skilled and better trained and coached. I joke with some 'old school' (hockey) fans who talk lovingly about the teams from the 70's or 60's and I hate to break the news to them but any modern hockey team would literally wipe them from the face of the earth as far as the game is concerned.
Its waaayyyy faster and higher performance now. Pretty much all the players are bigger, stronger, faster....in better condition, team driven diets and training, etc, etc. It sure shows up in the game.
I have to assume its probably the same in football, basketball and baseball....but I don't follow them so much.
My two bits.
BP

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Of course it's a personal thing because as you show not everyone feels the same way.

I've watched 4 hockey games in the last 2 years 3 of those I forced to watch because I was visiting my brother. I enjoyed it for the most part and it was entertaining. Which is what sports should be. Now if the CUBS could ever get to a World Series that might be .

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
...As far as pro sports quality.....well, I can speak for the pro hockey athletes and they have never been higher skilled and better trained and coached. I joke with some 'old school' (hockey) fans who talk lovingly about the teams from the 70's or 60's and I hate to break the news to them but any modern hockey team would literally wipe them from the face of the earth as far as the game is concerned.
Its waaayyyy faster and higher performance now. Pretty much all the players are bigger, stronger, faster....in better condition, team driven diets and training, etc, etc. It sure shows up in the game...

BP

+1 on that. I just can't stand, for the most part, when they interview the players

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'm still trying to figure out why a 1 or 2 hr. pregame show is needed. NFL and NASCAR are the worst.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've not been or watched professional sports in years. Total waste of time.....

bassman284

Commander
I'm still trying to figure out why a 1 or 2 hr. pregame show is needed. NFL and NASCAR are the worst.
Yeah, those are MUST NOT WATCH TV. On the other hand, I really enjoy the F1 prerace show and it's only a half hour.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
A 1/2 hour would be plenty. Today again it's all about the personalities sitting on the panel experts.

64osby

Admiral
It's really about sponsors and advertising. If enough people choose to not watch the ratings go down and the pre game / race will get cut back. The personalities are there to try and boost the ratings.

I have found I really like recording the race or game I'm interested in. Fast forward the commercials and dead time.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Losing interest in Pro sports? Yeah, but mostly old age I guess.

If your not watching the baseball playoffs then your missing some of the best games I've seen in years.
The boys of summer are playing the game old school. Fantastic defense, fastballs for strikes in the upper 90's with a ton of movement.
Movement to location, with high velocity, perfect.
The pitchers are playing tic-tac-toe with the strike zone/batters, Throwing the ball at the center square, then late movement (the cut of the grass) to all four corners. Now you add off speed pitches. :eek: Small wonder the scores are low.

If you can't play old school small ball, your in for a long night.
So Buck Showater shuts down KC's base stealing, and KC still wins 3 in a row. :doh: