The iboats Buck Pole

64osby

Admiral
Michigan's deer bow season opened up today. In honor of that I though it would be nice to have a place for iboater's to show off their horn's and stories (even if they don't have horns).

Didn't make it out in the woods, but did spend a few hours with my son sighting in a compound and a crossbow. My first year with a crossbow his with a bow. Target practice was great and WOW the crossbow is impressive.

On a personal note 20 years ago today my father passed unexpectedly, heart attack. I was several hours away bow hunting with a friend. Since that day I have always tried to make it out in the woods on this day. Didn't happen this year but I was very glad to spend some true quality time with my son, hopefully instilling the good morals and virtues that go with hunting.

ehenry

Commander
I'm not a bow hunter, but my son is and he's out there trying to stick one as we speak. He went yestrday and its so dry you sound like a heard of elephants trying to get to the stand plus its almost 90 degrees out but he's out there. He's even hunting the back porch at the house.....we live just outside of town and have a pretty bad deer problem. One day a couple weeks ago, I was sittng on the back porch drinking morning coffee and three does walked through the back yard with NINE white spot fawns. If I'd had my phone I would have taken a pic.

Last edited:

angus63

Captain
Nov 15 is opening day for rifle in NY and I will be snoring up against a big ol' tree that morning and hopefully wake up to sight in some dinner. I have not had any success with a bow if you don't count breaking off broadheads from a tree, and have not strung up my recurve in decades.

southkogs

Staff member
... I'm going to have to live vicariously through y'all. Haven't really had the extra time for hunting or fishing in the last few years.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
... I'm going to have to live vicariously through y'all. Haven't really had the extra time for hunting or fishing in the last few years.

Me too. This year my neck issues are going to prevent me from potentially pulling the trigger on the -06 At least I wont take a chance....... First time in at least 38 years I wont be hunting.........

angus63

Captain
My Pops is 82 yrs old and still walks 100 yds off the road each season and sits quietly reading a book with his weapon slung while others move throughout the hills. He has seen many more bucks than me doing this and watches them trot away. He realizes he shouldn't be straining himself so he just goes "hunting" to enjoy the company, stories, card playing, scotch, and memories. Hopefully this can continue for years to come. Even if you don't squeeze off a shot, you can still enjoy the experience. Heck, many years I don't get a shot off but still have a great time!!!

aspeck

Staff member
Me too. This year my neck issues are going to prevent me from potentially pulling the trigger on the -06 At least I wont take a chance....... First time in at least 38 years I wont be hunting.........

Sure, blame it on the neck ... in truth, you can't imagine going into the woods while you daughter is away having fun at college without you! :eek::yield:

As for me, surgery has kept me from carrying the gun or pulling a trigger. Archer starts tomorrow, but without the practice, I won't be going. Colorado and elk and mule deer await soon. Then back for another surgery and recovery in time for PA rifle season. Doc is loving they way I plan the surgeries around hunting seasons! HA! He just looks at me and shakes his head ... kind of the same why my wife and others who know me do ... :crazy::noidea:

eavega

Lieutenant
I got out on my first bow hunt ever last weekend. On the last day (Sunday morning) I was pondering getting out of the tree stand and wrapping it up for the trip, when a button buck pops out to feed on the field that I was hunting. Perfect broadside shot right down a clear lane of fire. Unfortunately he popped out on the far end of the field which was a long 50 yards from my stand. That would've been an extremely long shot with my bow, and a distance I have not practiced at (I'm deadly at 20 yds, and fairly accurate at 30). I passed on the shot rather than risking just hurting the animal without a clean kill. I kept willing the deer to move closer, but eventually he popped back into the woods.
I was the only one of the 3 hunters who actually saw deer that weekend. Lots of tracks and signs, but no other deer were spotted.
I'm already set up for two more trips; one during the rut in mid-November, and one more late trip before Christmas.

-E

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My Pops is 82 yrs old and still walks 100 yds off the road each season and sits quietly reading a book with his weapon slung while others move throughout the hills. He has seen many more bucks than me doing this and watches them trot away. He realizes he shouldn't be straining himself so he just goes "hunting" to enjoy the company, stories, card playing, scotch, and memories. Hopefully this can continue for years to come. Even if you don't squeeze off a shot, you can still enjoy the experience. Heck, many years I don't get a shot off but still have a great time!!!

My grandfather used to do the same thing when he and my father moved to N MN from Chicago after dad graduated HS. Grandpa always went hunting and carried a .30-30 bolt action Savage(in fact, I still have it). Dad said he doubts he ever raised the gun. He just enjoyed seeing the deer. I don't think he could muster enough to kill one.

In my years of hunting I've watched many deer walk by, let a bunch of bucks go too including 8 pointers. I agree, hunting is much more than pulling the trigger. Pulling the trigger is called shooting...... Some of my most memorable moments, other than the head over the tv :) , has been times when I never raised the gun.

Sure, blame it on the neck ... in truth, you can't imagine going into the woods while you daughter is away having fun at college without you! :eek::yield:

As for me, surgery has kept me from carrying the gun or pulling a trigger. Archer starts tomorrow, but without the practice, I won't be going. Colorado and elk and mule deer await soon. Then back for another surgery and recovery in time for PA rifle season. Doc is loving they way I plan the surgeries around hunting seasons! HA! He just looks at me and shakes his head ... kind of the same why my wife and others who know me do ... :crazy::noidea:

You're probably right! Tomorrow nite instead of going to the football game because of rain, snow, wind and 30s etc(her winter coat is still at home),. she's going to the women's hockey game. She is having a blast. So much for deer(lol) ol' dad.............

If there was a time to miss a season, this is it. We had a huge winter kill last year just like Mn. It's bucks only. It's going to be difficult even seeing a deer. Although, I always have a squirrel hanging out and a bunch of chickadees...........

Last edited: