Can somebody explain this to me!!!!! GRRRRRR!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had a nice little 9.8 mercury tiller steer I have used for 3 years now, never had a problem with it, had the water pump replaced about 6 months ago, have ran around several lakes this summer, not one single problem. So I upgraded my aluminum fishing boat motor last month, and put this 9.8 up for sale, guy picks it up yesterday and low and behold he calls me and says he has to bring it back! Says there is no water pumping and the carburetor is leaking. I can't figure this out, I use something, works great, sell it to someone else and the world is falling apart! Gosh darn Murphy law hits again!

Tyme2fish

Commander
He bought it, it's his problem now. Who's to say he didn't start it in the driveway with no muffs. Once it's out of my place, it's his problem.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
He bought it, it's his problem now. Who's to say he didn't start it in the driveway with no muffs. Once it's out of my place, it's his problem.

He is going to run up to my place in the morning and I will take a look and see what is going on, I live in a small community, so I want him to be happy, but man..

jwfbass

Cadet
I hope things work out. I had a guy buy my old boat. He had problems registering it at the Secretary of State, so I went down there with him and we fixed it. So he takes it out the next day and calls me at the launch and tells me it won't start. So I walk him through the process. He had seen me start it on the muffs before he bought it and we ran it until water passed through the tell-tale. He must have got it working because I never heard from him again. Your old engine must just be a little reluctant in someone else's hands.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Since you live in a small town just give him his money back, then find out if the impeller is melted. If so, then tell him in either a public or private, your choice, place what he's done due to ignorance. The carb problem might be due to someone fiddling w/ it and not knowing what they're doing.
Mike

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Did you run the motor on muffs in front of him to establish everything was in working order? If not then he has the upper hand............But I can't tell you how many people I see crank up their engine on the boat ramp while being backed down waaaay before any water is present.............

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I got the motor back, have to set it up and check what is going on, First thing I notice, the pee hole is plugged with mud dabber junk, so have to clean that out and it should be fine again! Then probably have to rebuild the carb on it, but need to get it running again to figure it out.

rogerwa

Commander
Check the float on that carb.. Have the same motor and was having some funky behavior.. Would work fine initially and then couldn't dial it in.. Found the float was swelling up and sticking.. New float in - set the needle at 1 1/2 Turns and she runs perfect. When the float was swelled, the fuel would flow out the overflow tube in the carb throat flooding it. Super easy and fast carb to rebuild..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I figured out why the engine was not peeing right, I pulled the water pump tell tale tube and found a small piece of wood in it, as if someone had pushed it up the tell tale hole and it broke off! (I wonder who did that ?!) In the morning, I will fire it up and see what is going on with the carb, I suspect nothing to be honest.