Who wants to have wild turkey dinner!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Cripes, I am sitting working on some things on the computer and here this clomp, clomp, clomp on the roof of the house, couldn't figure out for the life of me what was going on, go outside and there is 5 freaking turkeys running around on the roof! I didn't know they could fly so well!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can have the grill going in a few minutes

angus63

Captain
I like my wild turkey neat and about four fingers deep please...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, how do wild turkeys taste compared to super market ones? City slicker here!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Wild turkey is all dark meat, no light, the breasts are quite tasty, firm and moist, depending on how you cook them. I like it every once in a while, but it reminds me a lot of goose and at certain times can be quite greasy. Also as with any wild meat, it really depends on what they have been eating, around here they eat a lot of grain, so they are quite good, I shot one a few years ago in sagebrush country, was not good.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Turkeys on roof? that should be considered a pest and should be taken care of like the wood rats, except you don't put them in hole in the ground, you put them in the oven LOL

aspeck

Staff member
Wild turkey is mostly yummy, unless they be grazing in the garlic. If you are not careful they can be dry. Deep fried, fried, roasted, smoked ... Yum ... Boom's Ultimate Brine for a wild turkey ... Super yum! Never had one that was greasy. Never ever saw them on a roof, but they do roost high up in trees, so not surprising ... They swim real well also. Snagged one out of the water one day ... Not a smart move between their spurs and beak! But in the end I won and he tasted yummy! Sometimes I think boats make you do stupid things!

64osby

Admiral
Just don't put any holes in your roof the next time it happens.

What no pics! Did it really happen? ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
A local Physicians Assistant (Former Army PA) was driving yesterday and swerved to avoid a flock crossing the road....... caught the shouder of the road and yup..... right over the embankment. He is okay.....his 2015 Volvo not so good.

Those dam black birds used to be rare and now they are a nuisance and seen everywhere!!

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
If you want to cure the problem just go purchase a hunting license............You'll never see those turkey's again!

Store bought turkey's are much better for you if you need a extra dose of hormones and antibiotics...:rolleyes:

Oh and wild turkey's fly real good.......... they roost in the tree's to avoid the four legged predators that also like turkey meat.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
A local Physicians Assistant (Former Army PA) was driving yesterday and swerved to avoid a flock crossing the road....... caught the shouder of the road and yup..... right over the embankment. He is okay.....his 2015 Volvo not so good.

Those dam black birds used to be rare and now they are a nuisance and seen everywhere!!

You would think people would know NOT to take evasive actions that put their own health and safety at risk.......... unfortunatley he learned that little tidbit of info the hard way............. glad he is ok though...............

If I can slow down safely to allow animals to cross unharmed I will do so........... if not...........well the buzzards gotta eat too!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

64osby

Admiral
Many years ago one flew out in front of me. Hit and dented the LH fender, tore off the power heated mirror and dented the door. I stopped but the darn thing flew away. Couldn't even get dinner for the $1,600 insurance tab.

Don't know about the rest of the nation, but here in MI if you swerve to miss a deer or turkey and miss the animal but hit something else, the ins. co won't pay for the damage. So either stop or hit it but don't miss it and hit something else.