thinkin bout relocating in 2.5 yrs when son outta HS from N. CA

ezbtr

Commander
His mom may relocate to S. CA, but quite frankly me (more much so) and gf want to get out of N. CA, God the cost, traffic, etc, I'm thinking Austin, TX now, I see what I can get house wise, fishing, and the job possibilities, there is just no good reason to stay here, comments anyone??? :) Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Lots of logistics to think about would be my comment. If all the pieces can come together, then go for it.

Last edited:

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Be sure you know the area your are considering, and would you have a job or are you retired?
Ca is costly, but wages are higher than Texas.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Austin would be the only city in Texas that I would possibly want to move to. If you do it, you won't be the first person from CA to do so and the prices of the real estate has risen because of it.

Have you ever been there? What made you decide on Austin?

Last edited:

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
I don't blame you, Ezbtr. I live in San Francisco Bay Area and the technology boom have driven up home prices three folds and according to the forecasters, it will only get worse before the bubble bursts. They're predicting that it'll take ten or more years. The law makers are just as bad creating new taxes and bans on just about everything they can get their hands on to make a name for themselves. Traffic is becoming horrendous. What used to be a 40 minute commute has not tripled taking me over 90 minutes on a good day and two to three hours on a bad. I envy you that you have this opportunity to make that decision. I would go for it. Good luck!

southkogs

Staff member
As someone who's done that (left one state for another based on economics), I wouldn't hesitate to suggest to go ahead and go. I will suggest that you carefully consider where you're going to (I have no idea if Austin is a good spot or not) and make sure you've got the economic foundation (job or cash reserve) to get established in the new digs.

Otherwise I'd bail.

ezbtr

Commander
I don't blame you, Ezbtr. I live in San Francisco Bay Area and the technology boom have driven up home prices three folds and according to the forecasters, it will only get worse before the bubble bursts. They're predicting that it'll take ten or more years. The law makers are just as bad creating new taxes and bans on just about everything they can get their hands on to make a name for themselves. Traffic is becoming horrendous. What used to be a 40 minute commute has not tripled taking me over 90 minutes on a good day and two to three hours on a bad. I envy you that you have this opportunity to make that decision. I would go for it. Good luck!
Holy cow what is your commute?? For a few months 8 yrs ago I did SF Presidio to Concord 31 miles, on a good day 50 mins, bad almost 2 hrs, no thanks!! I'm lucky in that I got a great deal 2 yrs ago on a foreclosed 8 year old 3 bed 2.5 bath towmhouse w/ garage for little down and 3.5 interest rate, less than rent after tax returns, I could rent this out

ezbtr

Commander
Still on disabilty for leg and back/work accident , would like to do IT job from home maybe, awaiting retraining info from WC. Been to Austin a few times and love it, high tech too and some great fishing as well :) gf could also get job there w/ her co.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
I'm in Dallas. Austin is nice for SW and tech work, but they have bad growth and infrastructure problems. The Houston area is closer to the big water and there are a lot of jobs there also.