running on fuel vapor only.....fact or fiction????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
There were/are several real companies, with real engineers, working on this technology.

Most of them have just , umm, vaporized.

Their websites have not been updated in years.
Even the companies which said they would be selling to the public back in 2010, have disappeared.
No news, no updates.

Must be black helicopters.

nwcove

Admiral
lol....interestingly , right after i posted....a helicopter flew over very slowly....then a black hyundai pony drove by slowly...the 16 year old driver was wearing dark sun glasses and ogled me!! ?? mods!!!! help!!!!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
In the end, all gasoline engines run on a fuel vapor/air mix.

The most obvius problem with these contraptions to mix the air with the fuel in a can is: You have a small fuel-air bomb under the hood. This could never pass any crsh safey test.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
lol....interestingly , right after i posted....a helicopter flew over very slowly....then a black hyundai pony drove by slowly...the 16 year old driver was wearing dark sun glasses and ogled me!! ?? mods!!!! help!!!!

On your own, buddy. :lol:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Amazing people actually believe all these hokey things help at all.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
OK.. here's the scoop. Engines run best when the fuel is fully atomised. ie, it's as much vapour as this guy is saying. The problem comes because these molecules of fuel are social creatures, and they clump together between the atomising device (initially a carburettor, later TBI/EFI, now MPI) and the combustion chamber.

That's why devices designed to 'swirl' the fuel both in the chamber and before it reached the chamber actually work. The idea is to prevent the fuel from re-integrating. The latest 'trick' is DFI, direct fuel injection, and very high pressure fuel rails. Again, designed to get the fuel atomised as much as possible in the combustion chamber...

Chris.....

salty87

Commander
No comment on whether the swirlies work but atomizing is true. Just look at grain elevator explosions. Making particles smaller helps them burn even if they're aren't very flammable at their normal size.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Don't forget there is always a tradeoff. Gas use to have lead in it to lubricate the valves, rings, and cylinder walls. Now they use additives to lubricate. Lack of fuel for high mileage means lack of lubricates and shorter engine life. imho
The MPI/EFI engines have a break-in period that is rich for the first few thousand miles then they will back off, but some manufactures will up the amount of gas from time to time to lubricate.
huts

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I love the claims, for many "technological breakthroughs", that big brother is squashing the idea because it would take money out of their pockets. If it's real, it'll happen. I wonder if people who sold horses back in the day tried to kill the early automobile ideas.

nwcove

Admiral
I love the claims, for many "technological breakthroughs", that big brother is squashing the idea because it would take money out of their pockets. If it's real, it'll happen. I wonder if people who sold horses back in the day tried to kill the early automobile ideas.

.......would a guy called Charlie ChopChop...and Bill, down at Bills Automotive lead us astray??? :spy:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
.......would a guy called Charlie ChopChop...and Bill, down at Bills Automotive lead us astray??? :spy:

You're right, nw. I don't think these guys are out to help the working stiff. Now the guy at crazyfishfarmer.com, he's the one! I can't say any more. :tape: I hear a helicopter. :eek: