Formula "E" racing...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well sitting here watching the Formula "E" race, the first one ever, actually pretty good race, the technology has come a long ways!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not as quiet as you might think, they have a pretty good "whine" to them, but they are not slow, I can say that, they were hitting 110 MPH on the straights, and at the end of the race, they had enough speed on, that one bumped into number 2 an number 2 ended up hitting a bump and going airborne and rolling a couple of times, he ended up on his top upside down, worse than I have seen in the F1 series. Little different though, they ran a 25 lap race and about midway they all came in and changed cars, I was wondering how they were going to handle changing batteries, guess that got answered, just have a second fully charged car waiting for you.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
They come in and change cars? Shows "E" racing has a long way to go. They need quick change battery packs.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yes, they came in and changed cars, most pit stops were about a minute, but it was about that time for all of the teams, They still have a ways to go, but all in all for the first time of this type of race, it was still a decent race to watch and there were some very big names running.

southkogs

Staff member
Y'know - being a bit of a formula race fan (I've been around 1, 4 & Super Vee), I'll bet that the electrics make for some fun racing. Especially on a road coarse. The "popping" of the 1's coming out of a turn is definitely missing, but as they refine it things should get pretty fun.

Cool vid.

bassman284

Commander
Yes, they came in and changed cars, most pit stops were about a minute, but it was about that time for all of the teams, They still have a ways to go, but all in all for the first time of this type of race, it was still a decent race to watch and there were some very big names running.
Actually there is a minimum time for the pit stop. There is an official with a stop watch who signals them when they can leave. The minimum pit time will vary from race to race and be decided on race day.

GA_Boater

They sure crash the same as gassers! :eek: The finish of the race was nasty.

bassman284

Commander
They sure crash the same as gassers! :eek: The finish of the race was nasty.
Yeah, young Prost kind of blew it right there, which he has now admitted after seeing the tape. He and Heidfeld are actually pretty good friends and teammates in World Endurance Championship. They'll be racing together next week at COTA.

GA_Boater

I couldn't quite tell, but it looked like they might have gotten their extension cords tangled up ;)

:rofl:

Easy fix. Add a hitch and trailer with a generator. No more tangled extension cords. :D Oops, wait a sec - Counterproductive. Unless the generator is nuke powered so no fossil fuel is used. Yeah, that's the ticket. :facepalm: