I'm sick and tired of being forced to be 18% grey.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I'm frustrated and angry, and I need to vent. For this topic I am also removing my 'Mod' hat.

For the photographers out there, they will know what 18% grey is. If you don't, here's a brief explanation.
Auto-exposure cameras use a particular light level to estimate exposure, that called 18% grey. The assumption is that at 18% grey, the majority of photos will be correctly exposed. That is, 18% is the average light level.

ok... a few facts. I don't work a 9 to 5 job. I don't have 2.4 kids, 1.3 dogs and half a cat. My cars and boats get customised, I'm not a college or university graduate and I don't expect to retire to a 'waiting for god' home. I don't have a mortgage that's crippling me, and my wife and I are not 'in therapy'. So why does every company, business, bank government agency, employer, postman, lorry driver treat me that way? And more importantly, why does every company I need to do business with shut the door in my face when I tell them I am not 18% grey?

The latest examples are insurance companies (yes, we all have a moan about them)... My car is a Landcruiser 100, but not an 'off the shelf' unit. There is no 'off the shelf' car that would do the job I need it to do, so I have added a few things, like a decent engine, and gearbox and diffs to match; and a winch, and a few things to make it nice to drive and a comfort on a long trip. The second I mention any of those to an insurance company I hear the alarms ring in the background... "Different alert! "I'm sorry sir, we don't insure vehicles unless they are standard"...

And my favourite saying when I ask a 'customer service representative' (that's got to be the biggest oxymoron of the century!) for something slightly different. "No sir, nobody ever asks for that"... I sorry too, moron. "I'M ASKING FOR IT!!!" Am I 'no one'?" So the answer I get if I ask them to 'special order' it... "I'm sorry, I'm too stupid to be able to look that up"....

I was looking for 9/16" hex bar a few weeks ago. Must have driven to 15 different shops and suppliers. "Nobody ever asks for that"... ARRRRRRR!!!!! Eventually settled at home and got on the phone. The closest I got as an old guy who said he remembers years ago you could buy all that sort of stuff, and make things you needed... "No mate, not any more. If it isn't made in China and imported, you won't find it.".. Not very helpful, but quite illuminating.

So, I have a few months pay gone into my overseas bank account. And I need it here (Oz)... Bit of background. Up until about a year ago my Singapore bank system allowed me to transfer directly to my Oz bank, using a system balled BSB transfers. That doesn't involve SWIFT or BIC codes. Reason I used that was because my Oz bank isn't a bank, it's a credit society, and they aren't allowed to have SWIFT or BIC codes. I can't have my pay put directly into my Oz account because non-Oz employers will NOT pay into Oz accounts, too much Australian Government required reporting for them to see any reason to do it. So I need a foreign account to receive my salary. So, all was fine until a year ago. Then the Singapore bank changed their system.. "New and improved, to make things easier"... Stupid as I was, I actually believed them. :facepalm: The BSB transfer system? Gone. So, I'm forced to open an account with another bank here, and use that as my intermediary bank. PITA, but it's the only way I can do it. The Singapore bank promised faithfully that the BSB system would be fixed and running in about 6 months. (Why does it take 6 months to add a few lines of code? I'm not asking for something new, just the re-instatement of something that DID work!) Fast forward 12 months... I have 3 months pay in the Singapore bank, and start transferring it into my 'other' bank. And I have to do it in small daily amounts because they have a 'daily transfer limit' :noidea: I go to internet banking for the 'other' bank.... Lo and behold, my account is gone!!! as in, not there. I ring the bank and ask why I can't see the account. "It's been closed sir"... WHAT!! Are you serious?!?!? Yes, they are. As I hadn't used the account for a while, they closed it, because 'most people forget about dormant accounts, so we close them'... So, here I am with 2 days worth of transfers in limbo heading for a non-existent account. Great! I managed to get onto the Singapore bank and have the transaction reversed, but it cost me $1000 in losses on the exchange rate... Have they fixed the BSB system, of course not! 18% grey people don't need that, so why fix it....

So, I have been thinking about all this (while trying to stop my world coming to a grinding halt because I can't do anything because I don't fit nice and neatly into 'their' pigeon holes :mad: )....

Accountants... That's what's going on. Accountants are running the world. And I use the word 'running' in it's loosest possible form, more like 'screwing'. The less products a company offers, the less it costs them. The less is costs the more they profit. And as they offer less and less products (be they physical or otherwise, they still call them 'products') they force us, their customers, to adapt to what's available. So the more control they have.

I remember the days when customer requirements dictated what companies and businesses would offer. Now, it's a case of a company offering 'X' product, and the customer having to adapt to that.... or go without...

One question... WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG?

Chris........
(Desperately trying not to be 18% grey)

Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain
Being able to conveniently bank in "Singapore" sadly turned you 18% grey. Worldwide, I wonder how many versions of achris there are? Would need a supercomputer to figure it out let alone accomadate all their specific needs. JMHO

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Achris,

I am going to play Devils Advocate here - Although I understand your frustration with finding anything a bit off the wall, out of the norm.

Allow me to paint a picture... You go out on the water, the weather is PERFECT. in your mind, you have a plan for how this day is going to go. Then, the weather starts to change. For a while, you try and keep on with your day. But soon the weather is threatening. Do you press forward with your plans? Or make change to accommodate the changes? While one COULD press forward, it could end horribly. Or, one can change, put in to safe harbor. Most sane people will put into harbor. Now, here is the Biggie... YOUR ATTITUDE. Complain about the weather and be miserable internally, po'ed about the way this day did not work out. Or, Go have a nice meal with freinds, in front of a warm fire, all dry and cozy while the weather howls outside. Grateful for another day above ground, with the opportunities that we have to bless others, and meet new challenges, and overcome them. SAME CIRCUMSTANCE - of which there are things NOT in our control, but one leads to depression, anger, dispair, and a generally bad attitude about life and it not being fair. OR, the ability to love, live, enjoy, create, and spend time with the things that are valued the most. How many people, in their final moments - want to be surrounded by their back accounts, paychecks, or material things? Most people want to spend their last hours enjoying time, fellowship, and conversation with their loved ones. Why not live and love others like you will die tomorrow. You may. Tell people how special they are. That thing below your nose, and above your chin can be a blessing to others, or a thorn in their side. How will they remember you?

---
So consider;

Most companies are not in business to "cater" to the consumer. They are there to sell whatever service or product they sell at a profit. No profit, no reason to exist as a company.

Thats not a matter of you being forced to be 18% grey. You can choose to go outside the box all you want, but, don't expect others to change their business model so you can conveniently live with the choices you make that are not on their menu.

You used the photo reference. I understnd completely! I can't easily get 120 processed. 220 - Gone. 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 ? where is it? 127, 828, 116... HEY, I LIKE THOSE FORMATS. Tough poop, Blaine. Digital hath ruineth the world. But I still take out my Rolleiflex, Still shoot my Rapid Omega, Still use the Toyo 45D and the Cambo. I have to process it myself. When I get some room back in the Garage from the boat work, I am going to finish my Darkroom, and I have restored a Omega D II, and a Pair of D5's and a pair of Chromega heads. GONE is the beloved Kodachome, all ektachrome, etc. But I can still get Fuji. Ferrania is spinning up again, and will soon produce more emulsions. Harman / Ilford are doing fine. As are a few others. Much fewer choices than in the 70,s, 80,s 90's, and early 2000.

However, I cant "fix' that by lamenting their demise. Instead, I will start doing E-6, C41 and B&W. Enjoy the transperacies on a real slide projector, Print Color RA4, and enjoy myself with what I _CAN_ do. As time goes by, it will possibly become harder and harder to find the materials I enjoy using. But My life and ability to enjoy it is not defined by that - or the expectation that it will all go my way. If I had to make my own photo paper and plates - I _may_ still do it, just like they did BEFORE companies sprung up to sell pre made photographic supplies.

So, while all the complaints about "no one wants to do it my way" may seem like a great inconvenience and trouble for you - If you perceive that there are so many others just like you - Then you have just identified a HUGE business opportunity for yourself to meet the needs of said market. Why not take advantage of it, by going into business to provide some of those unique services or products that you feel there is a market for?

If you see a need in your life - and think you are not alone. then consider it yet another opportunity set before you to become wealthy while being a blessing to others.

Blaine

achris

Being able to conveniently bank in "Singapore" sadly turned you 18% grey. Worldwide, I wonder how many versions of achris there are? Would need a supercomputer to figure it out let alone accomadate all their specific needs. JMHO

I don't see to many people, certainly not the majority, who have a bank account in Singapore. So that takes me OUT of the 18% grey crowd.

As for accommodating specific needs.... That's the way it used to be done. I'm lamenting the demise of those days, and the rise of the 'accountant driven' society/economy.

achris

Achris,

I am going to play Devils Advocate here - Although I understand your frustration with finding anything a bit off the wall, out of the norm.

Allow me to paint a picture... You go out on the water, the weather is PERFECT. in your mind, you have a plan for how this day is going to go. Then, the weather starts to change. For a while, you try and keep on with your day. But soon the weather is threatening. Do you press forward with your plans? Or make change to accommodate the changes? While one COULD press forward, it could end horribly. Or, one can change, put in to safe harbor. Most sane people will put into harbor. Now, here is the Biggie... YOUR ATTITUDE. Complain about the weather and be miserable internally, po'ed about the way this day did not work out. Or, Go have a nice meal with freinds, in front of a warm fire, all dry and cozy while the weather howls outside. Grateful for another day above ground, with the opportunities that we have to bless others, and meet new challenges, and overcome them. SAME CIRCUMSTANCE - of which there are things NOT in our control, but one leads to depression, anger, dispair, and a generally bad attitude about life and it not being fair. OR, the ability to love, live, enjoy, create, and spend time with the things that are valued the most. How many people, in their final moments - want to be surrounded by their back accounts, paychecks, or material things? Most people want to spend their last hours enjoying time, fellowship, and conversation with their loved ones. Why not live and love others like you will die tomorrow. You may. Tell people how special they are. That thing below your nose, and above your chin can be a blessing to others, or a thorn in their side. How will they remember you?

---
So consider;

Most companies are not in business to "cater" to the consumer. They are there to sell whatever service or product they sell at a profit. No profit, no reason to exist as a company.

Thats not a matter of you being forced to be 18% grey. You can choose to go outside the box all you want, but, don't expect others to change their business model so you can conveniently live with the choices you make that are not on their menu.

You used the photo reference. I understnd completely! I can't easily get 120 processed. 220 - Gone. 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 ? where is it? 127, 828, 116... HEY, I LIKE THOSE FORMATS. Tough poop, Blaine. Digital hath ruineth the world. But I still take out my Rolleiflex, Still shoot my Rapid Omega, Still use the Toyo 45D and the Cambo. I have to process it myself. When I get some room back in the Garage from the boat work, I am going to finish my Darkroom, and I have restored a Omega D II, and a Pair of D5's and a pair of Chromega heads. GONE is the beloved Kodachome, all ektachrome, etc. But I can still get Fuji. Ferrania is spinning up again, and will soon produce more emulsions. Harman / Ilford are doing fine. As are a few others. Much fewer choices than in the 70,s, 80,s 90's, and early 2000.

However, I cant "fix' that by lamenting their demise. Instead, I will start doing E-6, C41 and B&W. Enjoy the transperacies on a real slide projector, Print Color RA4, and enjoy myself with what I _CAN_ do. As time goes by, it will possibly become harder and harder to find the materials I enjoy using. But My life and ability to enjoy it is not defined by that - or the expectation that it will all go my way. If I had to make my own photo paper and plates - I _may_ still do it, just like they did BEFORE companies sprung up to sell pre made photographic supplies.

So, while all the complaints about "no one wants to do it my way" may seem like a great inconvenience and trouble for you - If you perceive that there are so many others just like you - Then you have just identified a HUGE business opportunity for yourself to meet the needs of said market. Why not take advantage of it, by going into business to provide some of those unique services or products that you feel there is a market for?

If you see a need in your life - and think you are not alone. then consider it yet another opportunity set before you to become wealthy while being a blessing to others.

Blaine

Used to love Kodachrome. I used to shoot a lot of underwater (longgggg time ago. Back in the 80's, had a Nikonos IV-A).... Kodachrome is (was) slightly red biased, great for pushing the blue cast of underwater back.

But I think, in a way you have missed my point. All these things used to exist/happen... Why the change? If it ain't broke, let's fix it until it is. Seems to me there are a lot of people out there messing with things to justify there own existence..

Watched a great series, The Newsroom. First episode of the second season was so well titled...

Chris.......

southkogs

Staff member
I'm crackin' up at the photography nostalgia ... I was at an event here in our town last year with my girls. A guy is walking past me - in his mid-20s maybe age-wise - holding a Hasselblad Classic. I said to him, "wow, that's cool. I didn't realize they retrofit those for digital backs." He looks at me and says, "they didn't." I was incredulous, "Yer shootin' halide?" He says, "nope ... Kodachrome." The kid is processing it in his basement!!

Chris - I read you loud and clear about the world being run far too much by lawyers and accountants, and I agree with you on that.

Business is geared toward reaching the widest scope of consumers in order to satisfy demand and sell supply for profit. Sounding less "text-book-y," goods and services are always going to be geared toward 18% grey. All of the changes happen because 18% grey is a floating point ... not fixed. I'm probably no where near as "off-the-grid" as you, but I probably don't fit the 18% grey mold either. It does make life more difficult - a lot of creative "work-arounds" and added expense.

achris

You do know the temperature tolerance on K-41 (Kodachrome process) is plus or minus HALF a degree.... Anyone doing that in their basement is serious!

We had an interesting example of how good this 'supply driven economy' is a few years back.

The company name was 'MacPhersons', and they were hardware suppliers. They weren't any old hardware supplier, they were ANY old hardware suppliers. They were a little more expensive than a run of the mill, screw, nuts, bolt place, but if they didn't have it, it wasn't made! Anyway, most of the local farmers used them, reason being that whatever they ordered would be supplied, and the cockie only had to deal with one company, one invoice... Made life easier.

The company ran for almost a hundred years with the things the way they were. Then an accountant got in the ear of the MD, and all the 'slow moving stock' got removed. They no longer sold anything they couldn't turnover quickly. Result: Many of the farmers' orders were coming back as B/O (back ordered). What was being supplied was available at the local shop, and at a significantly cheaper price. The cockies didn't take too kindly to this, and started cancelling their accounts with MacPhersons. Within a year MacPhersons no longer existed. Gone. Out of business. What the stupid accountants didn't realise was that it was the slow moving stock that kept them in business and profitable.

Cheers.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
When I read your thread tittle I thought you were gunna talk about your hair color ..:lol:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
We had an interesting example of how good this 'supply driven economy' is a few years back.

Today's economy is demand driven....or at least trying to be. A few companies try to swim against that current, and a few of those survive their strategy....most don't.
Your complaints about two specific supply chain events, the ones that set you off, are root-caused by exactly that demand-driven environment...as was the explanation that you received "nobody asks for that". That just translates as "with minimum order quantities from OUR supplier, it would cost more to order and stock that dog than we could ever make in sales". So why would they?

The company name was 'MacPhersons', and they were hardware suppliers. They weren't any old hardware supplier, they were ANY old hardware suppliers. They were a little more expensive than a run of the mill, screw, nuts, bolt place, but if they didn't have it, it wasn't made! Anyway, most of the local farmers used them, reason being that whatever they ordered would be supplied, and the cockie only had to deal with one company, one invoice... Made life easier.

The company ran for almost a hundred years with the things the way they were. Then an accountant got in the ear of the MD, and all the 'slow moving stock' got removed. They no longer sold anything they couldn't turnover quickly. Result: Many of the farmers' orders were coming back as B/O (back ordered). What was being supplied was available at the local shop, and at a significantly cheaper price. The cockies didn't take too kindly to this, and started cancelling their accounts with MacPhersons. Within a year MacPhersons no longer existed. Gone. Out of business. What the stupid accountants didn't realise was that it was the slow moving stock that kept them in business and profitable.

Strange how "outsiders" would "know" the internal strategy and decision-making sequence taken by a corporation.

Sounds like an "urban-legendised" version of the McPherson's Ltd.story....and does not align with the facts as closely as you obviously think.
This company went from a small Melbourne-centred hardware supplier who manufactured much of their own stock (~ that factor in large measure accounts for their ability to supply oddball stuff ) ... to what is now a large multi-faceted company, trading on the Australian Stock Exchange, with a market cap exceeding 110 million AUD, and annual sales of more than 350 million AUD. i.e. ....still alive and kicking. I own some shares.

(As Mark Twain might have said, "rumours of its death are much exaggerated".
Within a year MacPhersons no longer existed. Gone. Out of business
There is a sizable gap between being dead as a Dodo and their latest financial results...released about 3 weeks ago, actually.)

They chose to abandon the fastener side of their business for sound economic reasons.
The company's change in direction was a necessary and evolutionary one, nothing more sinister.

To suggest that :
What the stupid accountants didn't realise was that it was the slow moving stock that kept them in business and profitable
is to ignore business common sense and the laws of finance and supply chain basics.If slow moving stock is indeed, somehow, subsidising your fast moving stock, your business model (or your market) is so fatally flawed that it is time to change it, and quickly, or your survival is in great doubt.

Your statement
What was being supplied was available at the local shop, and at a significantly cheaper price
.ironically underscores the more likely causal factor....that they could no longer compete on their bread and butter, high volume items items due to off-shore lower-cost competition.

That is not an isolated case, it is a fact of life in the increasingly globalised economy, everywhere.

The overall tone of your thread sounds like you are suggesting there is something inherently wrong with businesses that choose profitability over what would be essentially, a form of charity.
Insurance…. by its design and intent pools risk so that a individual can take advantage of being part of a larger herd. If you choose not to be part of the gang, you can always look for a specialty broker who can offer a policy that fits your need/wishes. The cost may not fit your need or wishes.

Your 9/16" hex stock supply problem falls into that also. (you did not say what material)
It is no problem to find a source of supply in OZ, I could do it from Canada, but it may not fit your delivery, price, or quantity expectation.

WRT your banking issues, if you are saying that there is no way to get the funds transferred quickly, I can't agree.

If you are saying that you really aren't happy doing it your bank's way, why not switch banks?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
You should settle down and make yourself a nice cup of, and then sit down and contemplate conforming... then everything will fit.;)

QC

Supreme Mariner
You should emigrate from that nanny state you call Oz, and try the US. We'll get you anything you want for your money.

BTW, that is probably the only reason I wouldn't emigrate the other direction. I am used to getting what I want, when I want it. If I wait more than 24 hours for anything it's because I chose the free shipping option. Oh, and since the Mod hats are off I seriously don't need a state sanctioned Billboard with a picture of a sunbather with the caption "Melanoma in Process" to scare me from enjoying the beach.... :p

achris

You should settle down and make yourself a nice cup of, and then sit down and contemplate conforming... then everything will fit.;)

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! I would rather shoot myself first.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Chris, do you still need the hex bar?

I am sure you could use a pint

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Fine - So your not 18% grey.... Just think of yourself as Zone V. :) But you can always expose yourself as a zone IV and push... Or a VII and pull a bit with some compensating developer.

Really, you can still get almost anything you want. It's a pain in the arse sometimes, and it's cost ya a bit more than the super cheepo mass produced crapola that everyone else seems to buy.

When it come to number of choices, generally I think we have more choices today. But many of them are low quality choices. So, buy used, restore, salvage, manufacture, repurpose. I think almost anything you want can be found, but just typically NOT in the same stores that offer only mass produced sh-tuff.

I think it's a matter of perspective. I have an old sunbeam toaster, from the 50's. The kind where you put the bread in, it lowers automatically, kinda slowly, toasts to perfection in half the time of a modern one, and then auto raises ( not pop up ) the perfect toast. Still . Perfect. 60 years later. Quality. Cost $35 bucks, back when it was new, and in 1950 dollars. 4 Silver quarters per buck. That translates to 35 X .725= 25.375 oz of silver. Makes it about $500 in today's money. Which explains a few things.

1: Why a toaster was an awsome wedding gift. It was a heck of a lot of dollars back then. A Weeks pay for a typical worker...
2: Why it is still working. Superb quality, as would be expected for that kind of coin. They even have a serial number...
3: Would you pay $500 for a toaster today? How many $500 toaster would a store sell? Nope, people buy a new $20 piece of garbage that may last a year or two, works poorly, and then throw em away and get another. No pride in ownership, quality, of having an appliance that can likely go another generation.

How bat that old 'Blad... Or My old Rollieflex... Superb. Have you seen the price of NEW? Yeee Ha! Have to keep them maintained - but digital does not really compare to the result of a real print on real silver based paper. As soon as you scan it to share it over the net, it looses soooo much of the qualities of a real silver based print. Subtle tones, depth, texture, richness - gone. Some digital is nice, for sure. But digital does not come close to silver based emulsion, and lots of square inches of film for final print. Course, if all your gonna do is share over the net and view on a monitor, film is a waste of money and time. Might as well image digital from the get go. And of course the image itself , lighting, composition, subject, and evocation of emotion is what really makes it. Bad photos are bad photos, regardless of the medium.

I am not gonna argue with folks that think digital is somehow better. For them that is a true statement.

I will just shoot and process, and love every minute of it. The current mindset also makes for some awsome bargains. Looking at getting an RB or RZ 67 just because they are so cheap. I loved the old RB I shot back in the 80's. Or the Camerz long roll 70mm that I have about a gazzillion hours behind putting smiles on the faces of a million grumpy bashful or ornery kids... I still have a brace of 4X5 studio cameras - Toyo and Cambo. ( I miss my old Linhof ) And then there are my Rolleiflex, Rapid Omega, Old Nikon Gear, A wonderful old Ziess Super Ikonta, and several old AO Spencer Microscopes with DIC, Florescence, DF & LF. Some strain free Objectives in 10, 20, and 40. A 50 and 100 oi. And all are pennies on the dollar thanks to the lack of interest in what was some of the best equipment that has EVER been made, and was drooled over by the physicians, clinicians, and lab workers of only a few decades ago. Lots of good stuff out there and for cheep, ya just got to know where to look. And it ain't Wal Mart.

So yep. Poopoo on the bean counters without a soul. You can still live, love, and enjoy life to the fullest, in spite of em.

Cheers!

Blaine

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Chris - I too get fed up with the way the world has changed, but you do have a choice - you can either swim with the current, or against it.
I'm past retirement age and still running my business, and take my word for it, if you don't change with the times, you WILL get left behind.

My youngest comes home from Uni and explains to me things like "B2B means Business to Business Dad, it's not the name of your Supplier Portal".

There were 37 members of our industry organisation back in 1990.
First they all revolted against benchmarking.
In 1998 they all banded together against Quality Assurance.
In 2002 came HACCP Certification which you couldn't get without having the above.
Finally came (2004) the final offer - thank you but no thanks.
I am honestly the only survivor, and doing well. They aren't.

My lesson - go with the flow - as my Granddad Feddis said, " I left Guernsey on a sailing ship, your mother goes back on some Jumbo thing".

As for your banking options, then you make the change and you won't have a problem. That's the way the world is.

Chris, should you be convinced there are many others just like you, why not take it as an opportunity. If QCs' country has what you want, why not become an agent.

Yes, I can see your point, but you do have to change, and I probably feel the same, but just go with it and life will be happier.

Cheers mate
Phillip