WWII ship

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
For anyone in North Alabama and Chattanooga a part of history will be passing thru. A friend from another forum had it come past him yesterday.

http://lstmemorial.org/

Link to track it: http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FWW2LST&tim...3600&tail=3600
What is an LST? LST stands for Landing Ship, Tank. These ships were designed in 1942 to land battle ready tanks, vehicles, soldiers, and supplies directly onto enemy beaches. Over 1,000 of these ships were built for World War II. Many more were built for the Korean and Vietnam Wars for their ability to navigate inland waterways.
USS LST 325 participated in several operations, most notable was D-Day at Omaha Beach, Normandy. She was there for Operation HUSKY, the invasion of Sicily in 1943. She sailed as support for the invasion of Salerno, Italy later that year. This ship has seen 70 years of history and survived as the last fully-operational WWII LST. Come walk these decks and feel the connection to our shared past.

Tennessee River Cruise!
Decatur Alabama Sept. 4th to 9th
Chattanooga Tennessee Sept. 12th to 17th

9547A46D-F250-4031-BBD9-D4928A2D8F9F_zps6ldvqe1s.png

446B2FAD-240C-4735-8D6D-9EFBF7D582DD_zps2adjzfii.png

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Rats!! I'll be in Florida while she's in Chattanooga. I've wanted to get on board an LST for a while. Cool find.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
She was here last year over a week end and i took the wife DIL and a grand son and did the tour, it was very good. LST 325.JPG bridge.JPG

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Rats!! I'll be in Florida while she's in Chattanooga. I've wanted to get on board an LST for a while. Cool find.

didn't dig into the site much but looks like stationed in Evansville over winters. Not too far a drive.

I'm hoping to have the triler fixed by then so I'll drag the Carver to nickajack and make a run. If I don't have to go to Philly early....

angus63

Captain
I spent my Navy Reserve years serving on LST-1196 Harlan County in Norfolk. When on board, beware of the gator bites!!!

Twidget

Commander
Angus, I was on USS Dubuque LPD8 back in the day. There were a couple of LST is your squadron, I used to marvel at those little flat bottomed ships when the weather got up.