My goodness, I have been invaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy, the hunting has been good the last couple of days, but I have been invaded by.....Pack Rats! Little filthy rodents! In the last 3 days, I have shot 2 and trapped 3 for a total of 5 in in a small amount of time. They are literally coming out of the woodwork!

At least I know the coyotes have something to eat now!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
MT - Did one of them escape to Atlanta and run across the track in front of Harvick? :lol:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nope, I don't think so, those suckers are pushing up daisies, I just drop them in a cooler filled with water, then dispose of them about 10 minutes later!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe introduce 2 or 3 alley cats to the area....they'll take care of your rats!.....

Where I live, alley cats won't survive, every once in a while, we get a feral cat, but the Mt. Lions take care of most of them, we do have one feral that has made it a few years, but I don't see her to often anymore, between the lions and the bobcats, things are tough for kitty cats.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Number 6 & 7 bit the dust this morning, man they got run out sometime!

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Victor-Electronic-Rat-Trap-M240/100400789
This is what I used when I found that I had "ROOF RATS"
Put a dab of peanut butter in trap, set out for one night. Saw that the bait was taken, second night turned the unit on. In the morning I had a tail about 9 inches long sticking out of the trap. Tilted the trap over a five gallon bucket with 4 inches of water in bottom. Have not had anymore indications of rodents.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well got another one this morning, man this was a big one, so five juveniles and now three adults. I hope I am close to running them out of town for a while!

robert graham

Admiral
Rats and mice are real suckers for traps with peanut butter....they just can't leave it alone....but you'll have to keep trapping and killing them until they're all gone....then keep an eye out for them to come back later!....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a feeling this is going to be an ongoing operation, Kind of like pursuing insurgents in Iraq!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Geeze another big fat nasty rat this morning, this is becoming a full time job!

robert graham

Admiral
Make a challenge/game/vendetta out of it!....it's you against the rats!.....you can't let 'em win!....outlast 'em!.....sorta sounds like real life, don't it?.....Go get 'em!...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Make a challenge/game/vendetta out of it!....it's you against the rats!.....you can't let 'em win!....outlast 'em!.....sorta sounds like real life, don't it?.....Go get 'em!...

Well I am up to a bakers dozen this morning, somebody must have heard of the success I am having and started importing them!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I made an electrified trap for field rats with copper wire, a 3/4" copper tube cap, and 240 volt chord to the welder outlet. you could hear them when they put their paws and teeth on the copper tube cap to get to the peanut butter. sort of a shriek and pop. usually found one or two dead in the morning from electrocution some time in the night. neighbors cats took care of the rest.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy this is getting ridiculous! I think this one might have been pregnant!

foodfisher

Captain
Exclusion. You've got to find their entry and block it, then eliminate those already in.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I did find one small hole they chewed through the wall, plugged it with a piece of sheet metal, but unfortunately, I am going to have to figure out something else for the rest of the garage, as it does not have a foundation under it and it is a wooden floor built on studs sitting on the ground, so a good place for them to nest, I am hoping if I keep catching them and getting rid of them, it will lower the population enough that I can keep them under control, but I believe I am up to 14 now and all of them I have caught the last couple of days have been large adults. The juveniles were easy to catch during the day, the adults are a little more savvy.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Get some snakes, but they won't help in winter....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Get some snakes, but they won't help in winter....

I don't know that I would want snakes big enough to take on these packrats I have been catching, the least time I saw a snake big enough to take these on, I was in Central America!